Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can't win this one.

The wife and I decided to replace our kitchen sink and counter with an
all-in-one sink/counter combination.

One the way to the store, she told me:

And this time do the faucet right.

"What do you mean ?" I asked.

She then informed me that hot is normally on the left and cold is
normally on the right....
and I told her that was they way I put it in 25 years ago...."Correctly"

"We'll settle this when we get home" she told me.

The sink just has a single lever...so I told her:

"Regardless of it being right or wrong, just push the lever to the
position that is *supposed* to be hot.

The moved the lever to the left...then I told her to feel the water
which was hot as it should be.

After confirming that indeed the water was hot, she remarked:

"I still think you did it wrong!"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/20/2015 2:25 PM, philo wrote:
The wife and I decided to replace our kitchen sink and counter with an
all-in-one sink/counter combination.

One the way to the store, she told me:

And this time do the faucet right.

"What do you mean ?" I asked.

She then informed me that hot is normally on the left and cold is
normally on the right....
and I told her that was they way I put it in 25 years ago...."Correctly"

"We'll settle this when we get home" she told me.

The sink just has a single lever...so I told her:

"Regardless of it being right or wrong, just push the lever to the
position that is *supposed* to be hot.

The moved the lever to the left...then I told her to feel the water
which was hot as it should be.

After confirming that indeed the water was hot, she remarked:

"I still think you did it wrong!"

LOL!! You could just say, "Yes, dear". HAHAAHAHAH

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

"philo" wrote in message
The wife and I decided to replace our kitchen sink and counter with an
all-in-one sink/counter combination.

One the way to the store, she told me:

And this time do the faucet right.

"What do you mean ?" I asked.

She then informed me that hot is normally on the left and cold is normally
on the right....
and I told her that was they way I put it in 25 years ago...."Correctly"

"We'll settle this when we get home" she told me.

The sink just has a single lever...so I told her:

"Regardless of it being right or wrong, just push the lever to the
position that is *supposed* to be hot.

The moved the lever to the left...then I told her to feel the water which
was hot as it should be.

After confirming that indeed the water was hot, she remarked:

"I still think you did it wrong!"

If you are going to get blamed anyway, just put it in wrong this time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Jul 2015 14:25:52 -0500, philo wrote:

The wife and I decided to replace our kitchen sink and counter with an
all-in-one sink/counter combination.

One the way to the store, she told me:

And this time do the faucet right.

"What do you mean ?" I asked.

She then informed me that hot is normally on the left and cold is
normally on the right....
and I told her that was they way I put it in 25 years ago...."Correctly"

"We'll settle this when we get home" she told me.

The sink just has a single lever...so I told her:

"Regardless of it being right or wrong, just push the lever to the
position that is *supposed* to be hot.

The moved the lever to the left...then I told her to feel the water
which was hot as it should be.

After confirming that indeed the water was hot, she remarked:

"I still think you did it wrong!"

Don't worry about it. My wife found and married the perfect man and
has spent 29 years trying to change
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Follow up

When we get the new sink, I'll just let her put it in.

This little project is expanding quite a bit as now she has decided to
replace the 25 year old wall paper too.

I can't argue with that one...it's time.

So as long as the walls are going to be stripped, I figure this will be
a good time to open them up and rewire the whole kitchen.

Might as well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/20/2015 3:45 PM, philo wrote:

When we get the new sink, I'll just let her put it in.

This little project is expanding quite a bit as now she has decided to
replace the 25 year old wall paper too.

I can't argue with that one...it's time.

So as long as the walls are going to be stripped, I figure this will be
a good time to open them up and rewire the whole kitchen.

Might as well.

The wallpaper will probably get messed up during the sink installation.
She might want to install tile back splashes, too, along with the new
sink. I'm sure she'll think of more to do. Maybe new cabinets?

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/20/2015 03:47 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 7/20/2015 3:45 PM, philo wrote:

When we get the new sink, I'll just let her put it in.

This little project is expanding quite a bit as now she has decided to
replace the 25 year old wall paper too.

I can't argue with that one...it's time.

So as long as the walls are going to be stripped, I figure this will be
a good time to open them up and rewire the whole kitchen.

Might as well.

The wallpaper will probably get messed up during the sink installation.
She might want to install tile back splashes, too, along with the new
sink. I'm sure she'll think of more to do. Maybe new cabinets?

Here is the plan:

Hire a friend to remove the wallpaper.

I will then open the walls and rewire.

Same friend will then prep the walls.

Next the sink and counter will be removed. The cabinets are in good
condition but I will have to hire my friend to sand and paint them to
match the new color scheme.

We will hire a professional paper-hanger to put in the wallpaper.

Finally the new sink/counter top will be installed...

The back-splash will be about six inches high . Since the sink, counter
and back-splash are all one piece there should be no water damage.

The one being replaced has minor water damage...but considering I did it
25 years ago, I think I can say I got my money's worth by now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Jul 2015 15:45:08 -0500, philo wrote:

When we get the new sink, I'll just let her put it in.

This little project is expanding quite a bit as now she has decided to
replace the 25 year old wall paper too.

I can't argue with that one...it's time.

So as long as the walls are going to be stripped, I figure this will be
a good time to open them up and rewire the whole kitchen.

Might as well.

I'm sure, according to her, you'll screw that up too. :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"philo" wrote in message
[...]

What about the floor? And new appliances?

I am sure the lighting can be improved as well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Jul 2015 16:02:20 -0500, Gordon Shumway
wrote:

I'm sure, according to her, you'll screw that up too. :-)

People still install wall paper?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/20/2015 04:09 PM, taxed and spent wrote:

sink/counter top will be installed...

The back-splash will be about six inches high . Since the sink, counter
and back-splash are all one piece there should be no water damage.

The one being replaced has minor water damage...but considering I did it
25 years ago, I think I can say I got my money's worth by now.

What about the floor? And new appliances?

I am sure the lighting can be improved as well.

All the appliances are new and the floor is actually OK

When the Congolium (?) was put in the salesman said the floor did not
have to be prepped but when the installer came out...thankfully he was a
perfectionist and spent an entire day removing the old floor and
leveling it.
We were not charged any extra and I was billed for exactly the quoted
price.

It's held up damn well and will just need a good scrubbing when we are
all done with the project. For the present were are not cleaning it too
well , knowing it's soon to get quite dirty.

As to the lighting.

shhhh

So far she has not said anything but she will...eventually
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm sure, according to her, you'll screw that up too. :-)

People still install wall paper?

Oh yes.

Wallpaper is a big industry.

In the kitchen of course I had vinyl coated put in so it could be washed.

I was not so good at washing though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/20/2015 3:56 PM, philo wrote:
[...]

My poor kitchen need some tlc, too. Now, I'm jealous.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles wrote:
[...]

My kitchen is still in the planning/layout phase , we haven't broken
ground yet . You probably don't know , but the wife and I live in a 25 foot
camping trailer in a clearing out in the woods . Well , that's a little
misleading , there's also a 16 x 24 room , attached to the camper via a
temporary hallway . The kitchen is phase II , and will be 24 x 24 with a 16
x 10 combination pantry/storm shelter/general storage area underneath .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/20/2015 05:35 PM, Muggles wrote:

The one being replaced has minor water damage...but considering I did it
25 years ago, I think I can say I got my money's worth by now.

My poor kitchen need some tlc, too. Now, I'm jealous.

To hire real contractors, this would cost some money
but most of it will be done by myself, with some help from a friend who
works for $12.50 an hour...so it is not going to cost a fortune.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm sure, according to her, you'll screw that up too. :-)

People still install wall paper?

Oh yes.

Wallpaper is a big industry.

In the kitchen of course I had vinyl coated put in so it could be washed.

I was not so good at washing though.

Wow. Next thing will be Avocado and Almond Gold appliances for the
bath and kitchen.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 20, 2015 at 6:17:52 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
Muggles wrote:
[...]

I always wanted to live in a converted missile silo. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Silo Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/20/2015 4:45 PM, philo wrote:

This little project is expanding quite a bit as now she has decided to
replace the 25 year old wall paper too.

I can't argue with that one...it's time.

So as long as the walls are going to be stripped, I figure this will be
a good time to open them up and rewire the whole kitchen.

Might as well.

When we do ours, I'm not even going to start anything until I can spend
40k to 50k to get it just the way she wants. It will go right down to
the sheetrock.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/20/2015 6:18 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Muggles wrote:
[...]

wow ... that must be an interesting adventure. I think every house
should have a storm shelter. Do you live in tornado alley?

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/20/2015 6:23 PM, philo wrote:
On 07/20/2015 05:35 PM, Muggles wrote:

The one being replaced has minor water damage...but considering I did it
25 years ago, I think I can say I got my money's worth by now.

My poor kitchen need some tlc, too. Now, I'm jealous.

To hire real contractors, this would cost some money
but most of it will be done by myself, with some help from a friend who
works for $12.50 an hour...so it is not going to cost a fortune.

How long do you think it'll take to complete?

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles wrote:
[...]

Hey ... I've seen a show on tv about missile silos converted into homes.
Had the same though you did, too, but the cost is just something that I
know is so ridiculous!

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Jul 2015 16:56:33 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

I always wanted to live in a converted missile silo. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Silo Monster

Back years ago in late 70s, early 80s, Nike missile bases were closed
down in South Florida. The land became an immigration processing
center facility, Krome Detention Center. HWY 27.

Immigration lost control, 200 escapes in one day. We sent staff over
to teach them how to count and how to control a confinement facility.

An officer knocked a rioter out cold. He was never identified (I knew
who the officer was). The Director was ****ed off when the Miami
Herald paper hit his desk in D.C.. The photo showed liquid flying from
the prisoner's face. Staff even locked up a reporter - thinking he
was an inmate.

This was a very large manhunt of 200 escapees.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm sure, according to her, you'll screw that up too. :-)

People still install wall paper?

Oh yes.

Wallpaper is a big industry.

In the kitchen of course I had vinyl coated put in so it could be washed.

I was not so good at washing though.

Wow. Next thing will be Avocado and Almond Gold appliances for the
bath and kitchen.

Years ago we did have an avocado refrigerator that we got rid of.
It was still working but the color was too hard to take.

The kitchen appliances are now black.

My wife did not like the stuff I had, so she just bought new appliances
herself
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/20/2015 08:20 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/20/2015 4:45 PM, philo wrote:

This little project is expanding quite a bit as now she has decided to
replace the 25 year old wall paper too.

I can't argue with that one...it's time.

So as long as the walls are going to be stripped, I figure this will be
a good time to open them up and rewire the whole kitchen.

Might as well.

When we do ours, I'm not even going to start anything until I can spend
40k to 50k to get it just the way she wants. It will go right down to
the sheetrock.

Twenty five years ago I entirely gutted the kitchen and put in 5/8"
drywall..

Because I mostly did it myself it was not terribly expensive.

Since I only paid $29k for the house I don't think I'll be dishing out
$50 for a new kitchen.

Although the house is worth considerably more than what I paid for it ,
I cannot justify a $50k kitchen...and what we are doing now my wife is
fine with.

We'd rather spend out money taking vacations

BTW: The was a video I saw a few days ago where a guy surprised his with
with a new $60k kitchen and all she did was complain.

I sure hope he's looking for a new wife now.

http://washingtonweeklynews.com/hila...s-even-better/

Of course this could be a fake video though
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/20/2015 08:31 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 7/20/2015 6:23 PM, philo wrote:
On 07/20/2015 05:35 PM, Muggles wrote:

The one being replaced has minor water damage...but considering I did it
25 years ago, I think I can say I got my money's worth by now.

My poor kitchen need some tlc, too. Now, I'm jealous.

To hire real contractors, this would cost some money
but most of it will be done by myself, with some help from a friend who
works for $12.50 an hour...so it is not going to cost a fortune.

How long do you think it'll take to complete?

We are going about this leisurely as we are basically re-doing our
entire house as well.

Painting and plaster repair...rehanging all the art.

My wife is an artist and I'm a photographer so we have 300 paintings and
photos!

We have to be done by December but will probably be done a lot sooner.

The main thing is that we pull the sink, do the wall paper and replace
the sink within two days.

Last time I re-did the kitchen I was doing dishes in the basement wash
tubs ...with dish pans of course.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles wrote:
On 7/20/2015 3:56 PM, philo wrote:

The one being replaced has minor water damage...but considering I
did it 25 years ago, I think I can say I got my money's worth by
now.

My poor kitchen need some tlc, too. Now, I'm jealous.

My kitchen is still in the planning/layout phase , we haven't
broken ground yet . You probably don't know , but the wife and I
live in a 25 foot camping trailer in a clearing out in the woods .
Well , that's a little misleading , there's also a 16 x 24 room ,
attached to the camper via a temporary hallway . The kitchen is
phase II , and will be 24 x 24 with a 16 x 10 combination
pantry/storm shelter/general storage area underneath .

wow ... that must be an interesting adventure. I think every house
should have a storm shelter. Do you live in tornado alley?

Sort of , we do get some from time to time . A few years ago one hit
Mountain View (Arkansas) . We figured from the storm damage track that it
had to have skipped over our property - this was before we moved up here .
Ice storms are the biggie here - which is why I now have a (little bitty ,
but ...) tractor with a blade on the front . It's a mile to pavement ...
uphill ...

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm sure, according to her, you'll screw that up too. :-)

People still install wall paper?

Oh yes.

Wallpaper is a big industry.

In the kitchen of course I had vinyl coated put in so it could be washed.

I was not so good at washing though.

Wow. Next thing will be Avocado and Almond Gold appliances for the
bath and kitchen.

Years ago we did have an avocado refrigerator that we got rid of.
It was still working but the color was too hard to take.

The kitchen appliances are now black.

My wife did not like the stuff I had, so she just bought new appliances
herself

Can I hazard a guess, she spent your money
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Jul 2015 14:25:52 -0500, philo wrote:

"Regardless of it being right or wrong, just push the lever to the
position that is *supposed* to be hot.

The moved the lever to the left...then I told her to feel the water
which was hot as it should be.

After confirming that indeed the water was hot, she remarked:

"I still think you did it wrong!"

She's there and I'm not so she knows a lot more about this than I do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/20/2015 08:57 PM, Oren wrote:

Years ago we did have an avocado refrigerator that we got rid of.
It was still working but the color was too hard to take.

The kitchen appliances are now black.

My wife did not like the stuff I had, so she just bought new appliances
herself

Can I hazard a guess, she spent your money

Nope

one secret to a good marriage is /separate/ savings accounts

It was money she worked for and saved.

She is very good about things like that.

She has an excellent record of *not* spending my money and has been so
good at it that 15 years ago I told her I was taking her on a shopping
trip and I would buy her **anything** she wanted.

She then had me repeat what I said and I told her that she had heard me
correctly.

I figured she would get new cookware but was wrong.

That's the day I went out and bought her one Caret engagement ring.

(The company I worked for paid very generous bonuses on a quarterly basis.)

Some people may think I'm a sucker but I was just relieved she did not
take off to the Mercedes dealership.

sheesh

When I told my daughter what happened...she said

"You mean she engaged herself to you?"

Ten years after that we got married...

I didn't ask though.,,,I believe she gave me an ultimatum.

BTW: I never took her shopping again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/20/2015 8:53 PM, philo wrote:
[...]

Hopefully, all will go as planned. Are you taking before, during, and
after photos?

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles wrote:
[...]

yikes .. So you don't have a road to where your trailer is at?

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/20/2015 10:32 PM, Muggles wrote:

We are going about this leisurely as we are basically re-doing our
entire house as well.

Painting and plaster repair...rehanging all the art.

My wife is an artist and I'm a photographer so we have 300 paintings and
photos!

We have to be done by December but will probably be done a lot sooner.

The main thing is that we pull the sink, do the wall paper and replace
the sink within two days.

Last time I re-did the kitchen I was doing dishes in the basement wash
tubs ...with dish pans of course.

Hopefully, all will go as planned. Are you taking before, during, and
after photos?

We took a few so far and will continue to do so.

I can still do as much physical labor as I could when I was
younger...but *not* five days a week.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/20/2015 4:15 PM, taxed and spent wrote:

After confirming that indeed the water was hot, she remarked:

"I still think you did it wrong!"

If you are going to get blamed anyway, just put it in wrong this time.

Might have a plumber put it in. Oh, wait.
"YOUR plumber did it wrong."

I think I better think it out, again.

--
..
Trevye Young, in Fiddler On The Roof
Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles wrote:
[...]

Oh yes , there's a road , but it's gravel/dirt . And the county might get
to it before the ice melts , depending on how severe the storm was . We've
(neighbor and I) usually got at least one lane cleared before they get the
highway cleared - we're about 10 miles out of town on winding mountain roads
.. The other neighbors think Ken and I are a couple of Swell Guys .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/21/2015 4:13 AM, philo wrote:
On 07/20/2015 10:32 PM, Muggles wrote:

We are going about this leisurely as we are basically re-doing our
entire house as well.

Painting and plaster repair...rehanging all the art.

My wife is an artist and I'm a photographer so we have 300 paintings and
photos!

We have to be done by December but will probably be done a lot sooner.

The main thing is that we pull the sink, do the wall paper and replace
the sink within two days.

Last time I re-did the kitchen I was doing dishes in the basement wash
tubs ...with dish pans of course.

Hopefully, all will go as planned. Are you taking before, during, and
after photos?

We took a few so far and will continue to do so.

I can still do as much physical labor as I could when I was
younger...but *not* five days a week.

That's how I feel, too. I can still do some stuff, but not like I used to.

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles wrote:
[...]

Nothing like clearing a road that makes neighbors appreciate you.

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote in :

The wife and I decided to replace our kitchen sink and counter with an
all-in-one sink/counter combination.

One the way to the store, she told me:

And this time do the faucet right.

"What do you mean ?" I asked.

She then informed me that hot is normally on the left and cold is
normally on the right....
and I told her that was they way I put it in 25 years

ago...."Correctly"

"We'll settle this when we get home" she told me.

The sink just has a single lever...so I told her:

"Regardless of it being right or wrong, just push the lever to the
position that is *supposed* to be hot.

The moved the lever to the left...then I told her to feel the water
which was hot as it should be.

After confirming that indeed the water was hot, she remarked:

"I still think you did it wrong!"

Obviously male left-rights and female left-rights are opposits. Something
you'll just have to learn to live with.

Posted to alt.home.repair

unforthunately yes. I rehabbed this shack one room at a time and could barely get my tools out before she was in there with the wall paper.

Had to strip and repaint the hallway once (remodel of a remodel) and after I demonstrated the problems with removal and cleaning the walls for paint told her it would be a divorce if she so much as mention wallpaper again.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Follow up Ramp up

philo posted for all of us...

When we get the new sink, I'll just let her put it in.

This little project is expanding quite a bit as now she has decided to
replace the 25 year old wall paper too.

I can't argue with that one...it's time.

So as long as the walls are going to be stripped, I figure this will be
a good time to open them up and rewire the whole kitchen.

Might as well.

What are trying to do? Ramp up the economy by yourself? I demand you get out
of here because this group is composed of gnarly, cheap assed, disabled
geezers and you are messing with the flow...

--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*