Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT, Get rid of this icon

Does anyone know how I can get rid of this 'Get Windows 10' icon out of
my systray?

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 13, 2015 at 10:12:58 PM UTC-5, Muggles wrote:
Does anyone know how I can get rid of this 'Get Windows 10' icon out of
my systray?

--
Maggie

Right-click an empty part of the task bar and select properties, click customize and on the drop-down for GWX select "hide icon and notifications".
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/13/2015 10:18 PM, bob_villa wrote:
On Monday, July 13, 2015 at 10:12:58 PM UTC-5, Muggles wrote:
Does anyone know how I can get rid of this 'Get Windows 10' icon out of
my systray?

--
Maggie

Right-click an empty part of the task bar and select properties, click customize and on the drop-down for GWX select "hide icon and notifications".

YES! Thanks. I knew there had to be some easy way to do that.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/13/2015 11:13 PM, Muggles wrote:

Does anyone know how I can get rid of this 'Get Windows 10' icon out of
my systray?

Yes.

--
Froz...

Quando omni flunkus, moritati
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 22:13:00 -0500, Muggles wrote:

Does anyone know how I can get rid of this 'Get Windows 10' icon out of
my systray?

There is a recent thread in this group that explains how.

Don't you just love Micro$oft?

Posted to alt.home.repair

| Right-click an empty part of the task bar and select properties, click
customize and on the drop-down for GWX select "hide icon and notifications".

| YES! Thanks. I knew there had to be some easy way to do that.

If you have any more trouble with it,
check alt.windows7.general. I don't
enable automatic updates, so I haven't
dealt with this problem. But I've noticed
the discussion. From what I've read it
seems to be a pesky bug that's hard to
make stay gone. Microsoft *really*
wants you to switch to Win10.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/14/2015 11:35 AM, Mayayana wrote:
| Right-click an empty part of the task bar and select properties, click
customize and on the drop-down for GWX select "hide icon and notifications".

| YES! Thanks. I knew there had to be some easy way to do that.

If you have any more trouble with it,
check alt.windows7.general. I don't
enable automatic updates, so I haven't
dealt with this problem. But I've noticed
the discussion. From what I've read it
seems to be a pesky bug that's hard to
make stay gone. Microsoft *really*
wants you to switch to Win10.

When I turned my pc back on this morning the icon was there again, so, I
removed it again. I guess I'll see if it stays gone this time.

Why are they so gun ho for people to go to Win10?

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 22:13:00 -0500, Muggles wrote:

Does anyone know how I can get rid of this 'Get Windows 10' icon out of
my systray?

Best to remove (uninstall) the update, reboot, check for updates again
and hide that update when is tries to install again.

Sample:

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/06/01/how-to-block-the-windows-10-update-notification-in-earlier-versions-of-windows/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-07-14, Muggles wrote:

Why are they so gun ho for people to go to Win10?

Cuz M$ is dying. Plus, they want others to see it. It's like "Intel
Inside" or Apple laptops showing the Apple logo.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 14 Jul 2015 11:43:13 -0500, Muggles wrote:

When I turned my pc back on this morning the icon was there again, so, I
removed it again. I guess I'll see if it stays gone this time.

Exactly. See the link in my other post.

Why are they so gun ho for people to go to Win10?

Three guesses, first two don't count

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/14/2015 11:56 AM, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 14 Jul 2015 11:43:13 -0500, Muggles wrote:

When I turned my pc back on this morning the icon was there again, so, I
removed it again. I guess I'll see if it stays gone this time.

Exactly. See the link in my other post.

Why are they so gun ho for people to go to Win10?

Three guesses, first two don't count

I saw your other post. Thanks!

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 14 Jul 2015 12:01:59 -0500, Muggles wrote:

I saw your other post. Thanks!

BTW, turn off "automatic" updates after you get the update removed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

| When I turned my pc back on this morning the icon was there again, so, I
| removed it again. I guess I'll see if it stays gone this time.

I'm not surprised. I think some people were
uninstalling the update that installed the Win10
nag, only to find that MS had reclassified it as
critical in order to get it installed again.

| Why are they so gun ho for people to go to Win10?

It's a major transition, probably not so much
of Windows itself, but of their business model.
They want to turn Windows into a subscription
service, with lots of services and apps sold
through it. The nag is very clever. They're presenting
Win10 as not a new product but rather a critical
Windows update.The vast majority of people are
sure to be suckered by that. All they need do is
to simply *allow* Microsoft to convert their computer.
And Microsoft tells them it's needed, so of course
they'll go along.

The basic subscription idea dates back to Active
Desktop in the 90s. (As some may remember, Microsoft
was trying to sell Desktop space for ads to commercial
entities. It started with the ad billboard for Disney and
others, known as the Channel Bar. People were then
expected to "subscribe" to "channels", which essentially
meant choosing to have the likes of Disney run dynamic
ads in boxes on your monitor screen.... Unsurprisingly,
no one chose to be harassed by ads and Active Desktop
gradually faded away.)

The software rental idea came back with the "thin
client" fad that never happened (2000-ish), the
SaaS fad (software as a service - mid-2000s) and
is now rearing its head again as the cloud fad: If
they can get paid when you use software that's
more lucrative than just selling it. It becomes a
rental business then. Just as you'd likely pay more
if you had to pay a fee every time you used a "free"
drill or circular saw. The big reason for the change,
overall, was that software became cheaper and
needed less frequent updates.

On the bright side, Microsoft's phone business
has almost entirely collapsed, so that might put
a dent in their plan to hook people into Metro
services across devices.

Another reason for subscription/rental is that the
Internet and devices, generally, are headed in that direction.
Cellphones are now computers with software programs,
but people have far less control than they do on a
desktop/laptop. And the software is mostly providing
services. The technology is gradually shifting from
tools to multimedia entertainment devices. The Internet
has become heavily commercialized and computers of
all kinds are turning into interactive TV that watches
you constantly, shows you targetted ads, and calculates
what new services you might be willing to pay for. (Even
in your car.)

There's also an interesting side story to all this: MS
has said Win10 will be free. The logic seemed to be
that they'd make up the difference, and then some,
through spying for ads and taking a cut of app sales.
But more recently there has been an indication that
MS also intends to charge a subscription fee for Win10
once it's established. Sort of like those cable deals
that advertise the 1st month free, while the fine
print has an endless list of trumped-up fees and hidden
costs. See here for the analysis:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke...ws-10-charges/

The gist of it: Forbes analyzed a report MS made to
their investors, saying they expect to recoup the losses
from "giving away" Win10, through subscription fees,
getting it all back in 3 years. The trick is that Win10
is free *for the life of your device*, but MS is rating
device life between 2 and 4 years.

Last I saw, no one was quite sure what it all means
and Microsoft has refused to come clean about the
actual facts. The one thing certain is that every version
of Windows has been more intrusive, more restrictive
and less of a product than the one before. MS claims
Windows is intellectual property, yet when you pay
for a copy you don't get to keep that copy. If your
computer breaks next month you have to buy that
same license again, because you no longer even own
functional install media. It's virtually certain that
Win10 will carry on the tradition, making it difficult
or impossible not to be online, allow spying and buy
stuff when you use Win10.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/14/2015 12:25 PM, Mayayana wrote:
> [...]

from "giving away" Win10, through subscription fees,
getting it all back in 3 years. The trick is that Win10
is free *for the life of your device*, but MS is rating
device life between 2 and 4 years.

Last I saw, no one was quite sure what it all means
and Microsoft has refused to come clean about the
actual facts. The one thing certain is that every version
of Windows has been more intrusive, more restrictive
and less of a product than the one before. MS claims
Windows is intellectual property, yet when you pay
for a copy you don't get to keep that copy. If your
computer breaks next month you have to buy that
same license again, because you no longer even own
functional install media. It's virtually certain that
Win10 will carry on the tradition, making it difficult
or impossible not to be online, allow spying and buy

hmmm From a marketing and sales perspective, it could work for a little
while, at least until people decide to dump windows altogether and use
something that is actually free to use.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/14/2015 11:56 AM, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 22:13:00 -0500, Muggles wrote:

Does anyone know how I can get rid of this 'Get Windows 10' icon out of
my systray?

There is a recent thread in this group that explains how.

Don't you just love Micro$oft?

It explained hot to make some changes in updates, registry and renew
your blood pressure medication, reboot, restart, revive, but it came
back with the next update. Hiding it is much easier.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 14 Jul 2015 14:44:58 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

It explained hot to make some changes in updates, registry and renew
your blood pressure medication, reboot, restart, revive, but it came
back with the next update. Hiding it is much easier.

I've had new update notification in the system tray for a few days.
Automatic turned off. So I just looked. Again the Wind10 update is
showing again even after I hid it a month ago or more.

KB 3035583

Sneaky *******s
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/14/2015 1:50 PM, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 14 Jul 2015 14:44:58 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

It explained hot to make some changes in updates, registry and renew
your blood pressure medication, reboot, restart, revive, but it came
back with the next update. Hiding it is much easier.

I've had new update notification in the system tray for a few days.
Automatic turned off. So I just looked. Again the Wind10 update is
showing again even after I hid it a month ago or more.

KB 3035583

Sneaky *******s

So, will it do me any good to try to delete it?

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/14/2015 1:46 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 14 Jul 2015 13:13:33 -0500, Muggles wrote:

On 7/14/2015 12:21 PM,
wrote:
On Tue, 14 Jul 2015 12:01:59 -0500, Muggles wrote:

On 7/14/2015 11:56 AM, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 14 Jul 2015 11:43:13 -0500, Muggles wrote:

When I turned my pc back on this morning the icon was there again, so, I
removed it again. I guess I'll see if it stays gone this time.

Exactly. See the link in my other post.

Why are they so gun ho for people to go to Win10?

Three guesses, first two don't count

I saw your other post. Thanks!

10 is microsoft's attempt to get into the mobile market. They put
their toe in the water with 8 and went in head first with 10. They
pretty much gave up on the desktop business after 7 and XP was
actually a better product for a business user. The added security BS
in 7 was really aimed at WiFi users and they added more multimedia
entertainment hooks that could have easily been added to XP.
Face it, if nobody replaces otherwise very functional software,
microsoft is out of business. Software does not wear out.

I still have xp on my laptop and it works fine. I kind of liked xp, and
I like Win7, too, and really don't see any need to upgrade.

I have one running W/7 machine and a few COAs if I decide to reinstall
it but I usually load XP on a machine when I get it. A machine big
enough to run 7 will really fly running XP.

What's a good free application I can run on my xp laptop that will
replace the Microsoft security essentials that quit working for xp?

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 14 Jul 2015 14:55:03 -0500, Muggles wrote:

On 7/14/2015 1:50 PM, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 14 Jul 2015 14:44:58 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

It explained hot to make some changes in updates, registry and renew
your blood pressure medication, reboot, restart, revive, but it came
back with the next update. Hiding it is much easier.

I've had new update notification in the system tray for a few days.
Automatic turned off. So I just looked. Again the Wind10 update is
showing again even after I hid it a month ago or more.

KB 3035583

Sneaky *******s

So, will it do me any good to try to delete it?

Sure if you don't want to see the icon in the near future. Turn off
automatic updates so you decide what is installed. Based on what
happened today, the update came back (previously removed) so my
thought is MS will pester us until Win 10 is no longer free. Just a
guess.

Keep putting them in the "penalty box"

Posted to alt.home.repair

You people are nucking futs.
If Microsoft had announced the Windows 10 upgrade would be priced at $299, you'd all be figuring out how to pirate it.
But since Microsoft is giving away Windows 10 free of charge, now you idiots are intently focused on preventing the upgrade.

WTF? (shakes head)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 14 Jul 2015 15:33:39 -0500, "R. P. McMurphy"
wrote:

You people are nucking futs.
If Microsoft had announced the Windows 10 upgrade would be priced at $299, you'd all be figuring out how to pirate it.
But since Microsoft is giving away Windows 10 free of charge, now you idiots are intently focused on preventing the upgrade.

WTF? (shakes head)

Hey idiot I like my system now, no need to change but I have a year
until the free option is not available. Tell the class how to install
Win 10 on another drive to test it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

| You people are nucking futs.
| If Microsoft had announced the Windows 10 upgrade would be priced at $299,
you'd all be figuring out how to pirate it.
| But since Microsoft is giving away Windows 10 free of charge, now you
idiots are intently focused on preventing the upgrade.

Have you read the details of what people are saying?
Win10 appears to be little different from Win8, which
is basically Vista/7 with Metro stuck onto it. But there
are unknowns with the Win10 "free" offer and Microsoft
is being evasive. So why would someone just assume
it's better than Win7?

I actually use mostly XP. I have a Win7 box that
was given to me. It's more powerful than my XP box.
I use it for testing software. I don't have enough
time or enough hair to spare for the hair-pulling
frustration of Win7. I find it workable when I have
to use it, but I prefer XP, would never use Win8
if I can help it, and want Win10 even less.

So maybe you should think twice before projecting
your own (unfounded) assumptions on others. You
may have decided Win10 is a prize, simply because it's
new, but other people don't necessarily think that way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles wrote:
Does anyone know how I can get rid of this 'Get Windows 10' icon out
of my systray?

The more I read the happier I am that I stuck with XP . I have licenses for
Vista Ultimate in both 64 and 32 bit , actually ran that 32 on a media
server I had hooked up at the house in Memphis several years ago . Bloated ,
but it had some nice features that made it a good choice for that purpose .
I suspect the bloated OS's out of M$ are part of what drove the leaps in
processor development ...
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/14/2015 3:33 PM, R. P. McMurphy wrote:

You people are nucking futs.
If Microsoft had announced the Windows 10 upgrade would be priced at $299, you'd all be figuring out how to pirate it.
But since Microsoft is giving away Windows 10 free of charge, now you idiots are intently focused on preventing the upgrade.

WTF? (shakes head)

Man Is A Fool

As a rule, man is a fool,
When it's hot, he wants it cool;
When it's cool, he wants it hot,
Always wanting what is not.

Anonymous

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/14/2015 5:27 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Muggles wrote:
Does anyone know how I can get rid of this 'Get Windows 10' icon out
of my systray?

The more I read the happier I am that I stuck with XP . I have licenses for
Vista Ultimate in both 64 and 32 bit , actually ran that 32 on a media
server I had hooked up at the house in Memphis several years ago . Bloated ,
but it had some nice features that made it a good choice for that purpose .
I suspect the bloated OS's out of M$ are part of what drove the leaps in
processor development ...

I like my xp laptop, too, but I end up using my Win7 desktop more
probably because it's hooked up to a bigger monitor.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/15/2015 12:31 AM, Muggles wrote:

I like my xp laptop, too, but I end up using my Win7 desktop more
probably because it's hooked up to a bigger monitor.

Only reason to upgrade to W10 is because you have W8 or 8.1 What a mess
they can be.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"bob_villa" wrote in message

On Monday, July 13, 2015 at 10:12:58 PM UTC-5, Muggles wrote:
Does anyone know how I can get rid of this 'Get Windows 10' icon out of
my systray?

--
Maggie

Right-click an empty part of the task bar and select properties, click
customize and on the drop-down for GWX select "hide icon and notifications".

Wrong again.
You **** get rid of it permanently, another reason you can stick windows ten
up yer texASS.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 13, 2015 at 10:12:58 PM UTC-5, Muggles wrote:
Does anyone know how I can get rid of this 'Get Windows 10' icon out of
my systray?

--
Maggie

....and this from M$ http://microsoft-news.com/how-to-rem...and-windows-8/
Posted to alt.home.repair

| ...and this from M$
http://microsoft-news.com/how-to-rem...and-windows-8/

It's been pointed out in the Win7 group that uninstalling
and hiding only works for the current version. Apparently
MS issued at least one "update" of that patch, with a
new video in it, which then overrode peoples' settings
because it was technically a new version of the patch!

So for anyone who leaves auto-update enabled there
may be no escaping. It might be like non-activation.
Instead of nagging you to say, "This Windows in not
genuine" it will nag you to say, ""This Windows is outdated".

That actually makes a lot of sense for MS. It would be a
way for MS to define Windows as subscription software
retroactively and make it very difficult for most people to
keep using Win7.... all in the name of customer service.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/15/2015 06:45 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/15/2015 12:31 AM, Muggles wrote:

I like my xp laptop, too, but I end up using my Win7 desktop more
probably because it's hooked up to a bigger monitor.

Only reason to upgrade to W10 is because you have W8 or 8.1 What a mess
they can be.

Each version of Windows since 2000 has been worse than the previous one.
W10 is an exception. It's slightly less worse than W8.1.

--
"To believe a myth is as easy a thing as breathing the air. But holding
one's breath for a lifetime -- that is difficult." [Michael P.