Posted to alt.home.repair

Default HDPE repair

I have a couple of trash and recycling wheelie bins that are starting to
fail. I will attach a couple of mending plates and try some hot glue.
The generic glue sticks are EVA which may not bond to HDPE. The
replacement costs for the bins are only $70 so I won't spend a lot for a
welding kit or hardware.

Anyone tried any of these type products?

Ebay has car bumper repair kits.

H.F. has a $50 welder with ABS, PP, and PVC rods
http://www.harborfreight.com/50-piec...ods-41602.html

http://www.amazon.com/Hobie-Welder-W...65ZGCR DVSY13

with High Density Polyethylene (HDPE) Plastic Welding Rod, 1/8"
diameter, 30 ft.,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/13/2015 03:25 PM, Stumpy wrote:
I have a couple of trash and recycling wheelie bins that are starting to
fail. I will attach a couple of mending plates and try some hot glue.
The generic glue sticks are EVA which may not bond to HDPE. The
replacement costs for the bins are only $70 so I won't spend a lot for a
welding kit or hardware.

Anyone tried any of these type products?

Ebay has car bumper repair kits.

H.F. has a $50 welder with ABS, PP, and PVC rods
http://www.harborfreight.com/50-piec...ods-41602.html

http://www.amazon.com/Hobie-Welder-W...65ZGCR DVSY13

with High Density Polyethylene (HDPE) Plastic Welding Rod, 1/8"
diameter, 30 ft.,

I don't know if glue will hold but I fixed one of mine (before the city
eventually replaced it) by just drilling six holes and bolting a (scrap)
sheet metal plate across the broken area.

My cost was zero

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/14/2015 4:39 AM, philo wrote:
[...]

Cut up a plastic milk jug for the donor HDPE material.

Fuse it with a hot air gun or soldering iron.
Use a light dimmer to make the air/iron run much cooler.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/13/2015 4:25 PM, Stumpy wrote:
I have a couple of trash and recycling wheelie bins that are starting to
fail. I will attach a couple of mending plates and try some hot glue.
The generic glue sticks are EVA which may not bond to HDPE. The
replacement costs for the bins are only $70 so I won't spend a lot for a
welding kit or hardware.

Anyone tried any of these type products?

Ebay has car bumper repair kits.

H.F. has a $50 welder with ABS, PP, and PVC rods
http://www.harborfreight.com/50-piec...ods-41602.html

http://www.amazon.com/Hobie-Welder-W...65ZGCR DVSY13

with High Density Polyethylene (HDPE) Plastic Welding Rod, 1/8"
diameter, 30 ft.,

There is no good glue for polyethylene but fusing the plastic, adding
more of the same plastic should work.

Unfortunately when PE starts to crack the whole polymer product has
probably been degraded by oxidation and sunlight and may no longer be
useful and best just be replaced.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" "frank wrote in message
On 7/13/2015 4:25 PM, Stumpy wrote:

There is no good glue for polyethylene but fusing the plastic, adding more
of the same plastic should work.

Unfortunately when PE starts to crack the whole polymer product has
probably been degraded by oxidation and sunlight and may no longer be
useful and best just be replaced.

Damn.

I already used a couple of Simpson mending plates and tried some EVA hot
glue. When that fails I can afford a new one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/14/2015 04:39 AM, philo wrote:

I don't know if glue will hold but I fixed one of mine (before the city
eventually replaced it) by just drilling six holes and bolting a (scrap)
sheet metal plate across the broken area.

My cost was zero

When the city replaced it, did they charge you? Property taxes pay
for "free" disposal here, but the bins are my expense.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/14/2015 04:39 AM, philo wrote:

There's a whole row of damaged bins in my neighborhood. Probably a
maladjusted robot arm.

http://www.pctuner.net/download/steb...bender2prj.jpg

Repair job opportunity.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/14/2015 04:47 AM, mike wrote:

Cut up a plastic milk jug for the donor HDPE material.

Fuse it with a hot air gun or soldering iron.
Use a light dimmer to make the air/iron run much cooler.

The EVA hot glue sticks didn't bond all that well so next I tried
burning polystyrene coat hangars similar to applying P-Tex onto a pair
of skis. Still not ideal so I got

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261459563087

for my 140 watt Weller soldering iron. Wore my trigger finger out after
about 12" of repairs. Burning 1/2" strips of a cut up jug and dripping
it onto the joint works pretty well. It goes fairly fast and you can go
back over it multiple times to reinforce the repair.

Neighbors are looking at me funny.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/30/2015 4:56 PM, Stumpy wrote:
On 07/14/2015 04:47 AM, mike wrote:

Cut up a plastic milk jug for the donor HDPE material.

Fuse it with a hot air gun or soldering iron.
Use a light dimmer to make the air/iron run much cooler.

The EVA hot glue sticks didn't bond all that well so next I tried
burning polystyrene coat hangars similar to applying P-Tex onto a pair
of skis. Still not ideal so I got

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261459563087

for my 140 watt Weller soldering iron. Wore my trigger finger out after
about 12" of repairs. Burning 1/2" strips of a cut up jug and dripping
it onto the joint works pretty well. It goes fairly fast and you can go
back over it multiple times to reinforce the repair.

Neighbors are looking at me funny.

try an Ungar-style pencil iron with a BIG tip.
use a light dimmer or variac to set the temperature.
This site has a temperature chart:
http://www.drader.com/drader-injectiweld

I use a SMT hot air rework station to get accurate
temperature control.
A butane soldering iron with a hot-air tip works too,
but you have to be careful not to overheat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/30/2015 05:16 PM, mike wrote:

try an Ungar-style pencil iron with a BIG tip.
use a light dimmer or variac to set the temperature.
This site has a temperature chart:
http://www.drader.com/drader-injectiweld

I use a SMT hot air rework station to get accurate
temperature control.
A butane soldering iron with a hot-air tip works too,
but you have to be careful not to overheat.

Thanks for the link. I was looking at melting temp instead of welding temp.

http://plastictroubleshooter.com/The...melt_temps.htm

I'm OK with my hillbilly burning technique. Don't really need any more
equipment for what should be an occasional problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stumpy posted for all of us...

Neighbors are looking at me funny.

Rightly so.