Posted to alt.home.repair

Default LED Bulb and Phone APP (WTF)

They have an Ad on TV for a LED bulb being sold by Menards. The bulb is
adjustable for different levels of white (color), by using a phone app.
The cost is $50. That sounds really worthless, and for that price they
can keep it. Just buy the color you want in the first place!

And I have to ask. I do not own (or want) a Smartphone. It seems there
is an App for everything these days. A fast food place has an app so
you can order your food before you get to the restaurant. [Why not just
call them, if you cant wait in line for 5 min?].

But I do have to ask, just how many Apps can those phones handle before
they overload? There has to be a limit!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
They have an Ad on TV for a LED bulb being sold by Menards. The bulb is
adjustable for different levels of white (color), by using a phone app.
The cost is $50. That sounds really worthless, and for that price they
can keep it. Just buy the color you want in the first place!

And I have to ask. I do not own (or want) a Smartphone. It seems there
is an App for everything these days. A fast food place has an app so
you can order your food before you get to the restaurant. [Why not just
call them, if you cant wait in line for 5 min?].

But I do have to ask, just how many Apps can those phones handle before
they overload? There has to be a limit!

The phone I have has 12 gb of memory. There are over 70 aps on it and a
bunch of pictures. Only 4 gb of memory has been used.

It all depends on how much memory the phone has and how big the apps are. I
have a GPS app on the phone with stored maps of 3 states. If I put all
the states on it, I am sure it would use a lot of memory.

The main reason I have a smart phone is because of the Republic phone
system I am using requires you to buy one of a couple of their types of
phones.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 7 Jul 2015 00:13:14 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

That's more apps than I thought could be used. I would have guessed 20
to 30 apps maximum. But I didnt think those phones have that much
memory.

For prepaid phones they dont even offer smartphones, and I only got the
phone for emergencies. However, the minutes cant be saved forever, so I
have to use them up. But I got rid of the long distance services on my
landline, which saved me close to $20 a month, and I pay less than that
for the prepaid cards for the cell. I just make all long distance calls
on the cell to use up the minutes. But I would not pay $100 a month
which a lot of people seem to be paying for a smartphone and their
contract.

On my flip phone (dumbphone), I can make calls, send texts, and get very
basic internet (such as a weather radar map). It's supposed to work for
facebook too, but I wont waste my time or money on crap like that!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 06 Jul 2015 23:50:30 -0500, wrote:

On my flip phone (dumbphone), I can make calls, send texts, and get very
basic internet (such as a weather radar map). It's supposed to work for
facebook too, but I wont waste my time or money on crap like that!

I never thought I'd use a smartphone much until I got one. Yesterday
I deposited a check so it saved me a trip to the bank or an ATM.

I checked my email. I got a weather alert that thunderstorms were
nearby. While waiting for my wife at the doctor's office, I read some
news articles and an email. I got a notice from Amazon that my
package was out for delivery. I checked the USPS for a zip code.

I don't do Facebook, buy my daughter does. She texted me to let my
know my sister is in the hospital. She found that out from my niece.
I'm trying to lose 10 pounds so I watch how much I walk and set a
goal. The phone tracks my steps so I can see how well I'm doing.

We were sitting on the deck discussing where we were going on
Wednesday so I pulled out the phone to check for restaurants in the
target area. Found two if interest, checked the hours, checked the
menu.

Yes, some of that could be done on the computer, but instead, it was
done at my convenience sitting outside. I lived for 65+ years without
a smartphone, but now I'm choosing to use one. It just simplifies
some things and lets me do it where I am, at any time. Worth the $45
a month to me. Optional for others..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 07 Jul 2015 06:00:21 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I never thought I'd use a smartphone much until I got one. Yesterday
I deposited a check so it saved me a trip to the bank or an ATM.

How can you cash a check on a smartphone? Is there a slot to insert the
check or what? Thats a new one on me.

Probably the weirdest thing I saw someone do with a cellphone was to set
it on a pool table in a bar and check if the table was level. It looked
just like an actual level.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 7, 2015 at 5:14:46 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tue, 07 Jul 2015 06:00:21 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I never thought I'd use a smartphone much until I got one. Yesterday
I deposited a check so it saved me a trip to the bank or an ATM.

How can you cash a check on a smartphone? Is there a slot to insert the
check or what? Thats a new one on me.

Probably the weirdest thing I saw someone do with a cellphone was to set
it on a pool table in a bar and check if the table was level. It looked
just like an actual level.

You use the camera on the smart-ass phone to send an image of the check to your bank. People don't understand just how dangerous those smart-ass phones are. Skynet is going to use smart-ass phones to take over the world so terminators can wipe out humanity. The evil computer program will use our own weapons and technology to destroy us. o_O

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1340138/

[8~{} Uncle Terminator Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 7, 2015 at 6:00:19 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Mon, 06 Jul 2015 23:50:30 -0500, wrote:

On my flip phone (dumbphone), I can make calls, send texts, and get very
basic internet (such as a weather radar map). It's supposed to work for
facebook too, but I wont waste my time or money on crap like that!

I never thought I'd use a smartphone much until I got one.

I agree. It's one of those things that you have to use it a bit
to appreciate all it can do. I figured I'd use it mostly when
traveling to get internet access, but wound up using it a lot
at home. Including using it to pull stuff up on the internet
or look at email while watching TV.

As to the number of apps, I have an entry level one and it has
about 35 apps on it. It is close to the max though, I have
started to run into trouble, needing to free space to do an
update, etc.

Some examples of the apps I like:

Gas Guru - Shows the lowest price gas available where you are
Ooma - Can answer or make calls on my home phone service which is Oooma
Super Backup - Makes automatic backups of important info, saves it emails it
Compass360 - Electronic compass
PowerBubble - Level
Maps
RPN Calculator
ConvertPad - Unit conversion
Accuweather
DropBox - Automatically uploads pics taken to my PC
WorldTime

Jerry said they don't offer smartphones on prepaid plans, that's
not true. All the major carriers do. You can get unlimited V/T
and 500MB of data for ~$35 a month. There are also companies
like Ting, that ride on Sprint and offer low cost monthly plans.
I got mine from Zact when they were in business. They offered
plans that you could adjust on the fly. They sold the phone
service part of the business to Virgin Mobile. I still have
the plan at VM, but they have stopped offering it to new customers.
I can get 250 v/t/d for $20. I don't use it that much though,
virtually all my data usage is on wifi, etc so I typically
end up paying less than $10 a month.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 6, 2015 at 11:19:59 PM UTC-4, wrote:
They have an Ad on TV for a LED bulb being sold by Menards. The bulb is
adjustable for different levels of white (color), by using a phone app.
The cost is $50. That sounds really worthless, and for that price they
can keep it. Just buy the color you want in the first place!

That may be the smart bulb that was on SharkTank on TV a year or
so back. That's how that one worked too. I don't remember if
it changed colors or not, but the smartphone control was part of it.
I can see it being of value in some special applications, but agree
I don't see the need for it here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

writes:

On Tue, 7 Jul 2015 00:13:14 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
[...]

That's a tiny amount of storage.
Mine has 10x that much.

Smart phones also work as a GPS device.
No more getting lost in the car.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Tue, 07 Jul 2015 06:00:21 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I never thought I'd use a smartphone much until I got one. Yesterday
I deposited a check so it saved me a trip to the bank or an ATM.

How can you cash a check on a smartphone? Is there a slot to insert the
check or what? Thats a new one on me.

Probably the weirdest thing I saw someone do with a cellphone was to set
it on a pool table in a bar and check if the table was level. It looked
just like an actual level.

Yes, you just take a picture of the check and send it to the bank. While
it is not much savings, I have saved about $ 25 in the last 6 months or less
by a Walmart app. Get the recept and take a picture of the code on it and
send it off. A day or so later they compair their prices to other store
prices and if found for less you get a credit for the difference on the
items.

The plan I am using is from Republic Wireless. It cost $ 12 per month for
unlimiated talk and text. Also when in range of a wifi unlimiated
internet. What they do is if you are around any of the wifi systems they
make calls and internet through that. If out of wifi range the calls go
through a cell tower. I do loose the internet connection,but if I really
need or want it for a short time, all I have to do is hit a few buttons on
the phone and upgrade the plan and when done I can go back to the $ 12 plan.

The smart phone I got was about $ 200 but they have one for $ 100 that is
very similar to it .

If you have Direct TV or cable or Hulu, or some other TV services you can
watch that on the phone. Being a ham radio operator, there are some repeater
stations that I talk through. When in a strange town I can use one fo the
apps that tells me if any are in so many miles of where I am.

The two I use the most is the calander/schedular and to show pictures to
others.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/7/2015 6:15 AM, wrote:
On Tue, 07 Jul 2015 06:00:21 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I never thought I'd use a smartphone much until I got one. Yesterday
I deposited a check so it saved me a trip to the bank or an ATM.

How can you cash a check on a smartphone? Is there a slot to insert the
check or what? Thats a new one on me.

Probably the weirdest thing I saw someone do with a cellphone was to set
it on a pool table in a bar and check if the table was level. It looked
just like an actual level.

You can't "cash" a check, only deposit it to your checking or savings
account. You endorse it, take a picture of both sides and in seconds, I
have an email confirmation from the bank that it was approved.

Yes, there is a level app as well as compass, sound meter, distance,
flashlight. See that plane flying over? You can tell what flight it is
and where it is going to and from as well as altitude and speed.

Getting back to the lightbulb, I agree it is extreme and silly, but you
can also monitor home security. My 3 year old Hyundai has a lot of
features like remote start from the phone, but the new ones this year
you can turn on the defroster and set the temperature for the climate
control too.

I have set TV shows to record at home from my phone and can tell it to
use the Family Room or the bedroom DVR.

UPS and FedEx tell me when a package is on the way to me and notify me
when it is delivered. In their database it tells the driver where to
leave it. USPS does that but not quite as fast. I have to enter a
number for them.

The list of uses is endless. Some kind of silly, others downright
ingenious and useful. It is a very powerful tool when used properly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 7, 2015 at 10:01:08 AM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

How well does using Wifi as the preferred voice/call path work?
All the VOIP I've tried on my cellphone, mostly just for experimenting,
hasn't worked that well. Problems like voice quality is poor, echo,
dropped calls, etc. I tried MajicJack, NetTalk, and Ooma. Ooma is
the best of those. In my experience VOIP on a cell phone isn't
close to a regular cell phone connection. And that is with a good
wifi connection close by. Is Republic able to do it better?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"trader_4" wrote in message
How well does using Wifi as the preferred voice/call path work?

All the VOIP I've tried on my cellphone, mostly just for experimenting,
hasn't worked that well. Problems like voice quality is poor, echo,
dropped calls, etc. I tried MajicJack, NetTalk, and Ooma. Ooma is
the best of those. In my experience VOIP on a cell phone isn't
close to a regular cell phone connection. And that is with a good
wifi connection close by. Is Republic able to do it better?

I can't really answer that. I don't use a cell phone all that much. From
what little I have used it, it seems ok to me with my wifi around the house.
When away from the wifi it automatically goes to a cell tower.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/07/2015 07:23 AM, trader_4 wrote:

[snip]

There are also companies
like Ting, that ride on Sprint and offer low cost monthly plans.

One important thing about Ting is the customer service. You get to talk
to a person (who speaks English).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"I think, therefore I am an atheist."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/7/2015 12:25 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 07/07/2015 07:23 AM, trader_4 wrote:

[snip]

There are also companies
like Ting, that ride on Sprint and offer low cost monthly plans.

One important thing about Ting is the customer service. You get to talk
to a person (who speaks English).

I'd rather a rep who spoke American. I don't motor my
petrol lorry to my flat, so I can take my tyke in the
pram to the chemist for some paracetamol.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 07 Jul 2015 06:00:21 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yes, some of that could be done on the computer, but instead, it was
done at my convenience sitting outside. I lived for 65+ years without
a smartphone, but now I'm choosing to use one. It just simplifies
some things and lets me do it where I am, at any time. Worth the $45
a month to me. Optional for others..

Check out http://www.yellowjacketcase.com/

Battery Life 1,800 mAh

Voltage 950,000
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/7/2015 4:39 PM, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 07 Jul 2015 06:00:21 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yes, some of that could be done on the computer, but instead, it was
done at my convenience sitting outside. I lived for 65+ years without
a smartphone, but now I'm choosing to use one. It just simplifies
some things and lets me do it where I am, at any time. Worth the $45
a month to me. Optional for others..

Check out http://www.yellowjacketcase.com/

Battery Life 1,800 mAh

Voltage 950,000

That certainly adds a little security.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 07 Jul 2015 10:08:20 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 7/7/2015 6:15 AM, wrote:
[...]

I wish they made one that would do my laundry, clean the house, cook my
meals, put up fencing for my livestock, mowed the lawn, and so on....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 07 Jul 2015 09:52:31 -0400, Dan Espen
wrote:

Smart phones also work as a GPS device.
No more getting lost in the car.

--
Dan Espen

I hope they work better than the old GPS units. About 6 yrs ago I bought
a TomTom GPS. That piece of **** got me lost more than it helped me. I
finally tossed it in the garbage at a wayside, after smashing it against
the pavement. I said I'd never buy another GPS. I paid close to $100 for
that piece of ****. I could have bought lots of maps for that!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

I hope they work better than the old GPS units. About 6 yrs ago I bought
a TomTom GPS. That piece of **** got me lost more than it helped me. I
finally tossed it in the garbage at a wayside, after smashing it against
the pavement. I said I'd never buy another GPS. I paid close to $100 for
that piece of ****. I could have bought lots of maps for that!

You should have bought a Garmin.

It also helps to have a little common sense when using them. They are not
always accurate or up to date. I have one that will get me home from work
(about 20 mile drive) if I follow it. However it adds about 15 minuits
more to the drive home. It wants to take me a way that is shorter,but it is
in an area that has stoplights every block for about 15 blocks. The way I
go bypasses the lights to only a few.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 8, 2015 at 11:02:08 AM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:
wrote in message

I hope they work better than the old GPS units. About 6 yrs ago I bought
a TomTom GPS. That piece of **** got me lost more than it helped me. I
finally tossed it in the garbage at a wayside, after smashing it against
the pavement. I said I'd never buy another GPS. I paid close to $100 for
that piece of ****. I could have bought lots of maps for that!

You should have bought a Garmin.

It also helps to have a little common sense when using them. They are not
always accurate or up to date. I have one that will get me home from work
(about 20 mile drive) if I follow it. However it adds about 15 minuits
more to the drive home. It wants to take me a way that is shorter,but it is
in an area that has stoplights every block for about 15 blocks. The way I
go bypasses the lights to only a few.

I have a Garmin, it's probably 10 years old now, and it's been
fine. Almost never takes me on a wrong path. I've used the
smartphone based one that I have a bit too, and it seems
accurate too. I find it extremely helpful when in totally
unknown territory. IDK about TomTom though. It also may
depend on what area you're using it in, the map source, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ralph Mowery" writes:

wrote in message

I hope they work better than the old GPS units. About 6 yrs ago I bought
a TomTom GPS. That piece of **** got me lost more than it helped me. I
finally tossed it in the garbage at a wayside, after smashing it against
the pavement. I said I'd never buy another GPS. I paid close to $100 for
that piece of ****. I could have bought lots of maps for that!

You should have bought a Garmin.

It also helps to have a little common sense when using them. They are not
always accurate or up to date. I have one that will get me home from work
(about 20 mile drive) if I follow it. However it adds about 15 minuits
more to the drive home. It wants to take me a way that is shorter,but it is
in an area that has stoplights every block for about 15 blocks. The way I
go bypasses the lights to only a few.

Been a while since I used the Tom Tom.
Indeed, it thought a road close to me was still closed and
would try to avoid the direct route home.
Minor problem, eventually someone updated the data.

But that reminds me, my smart phone is set to use Google Maps,
and it "knows" about traffic patterns by time of day and
sends me on different routes at different times of day.

Checking...checking, yep, it also uses real time data:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Traffic

As Maynard G. Krebs used to say, "what a world we live in".

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dan Espen" wrote in message

But, you really don't have to look at all.
They [GPSs] tell you when to turn.

And mine even lectures me when I am speeding, just like SWMBO! (-:

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 7/7/2015 3:00 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

It's very annoying to deal with people who refuse to use a smart phone.
In my extended family we can plan events very easily with smart phone
apps but for the few family members that refuse to use one we have to
arrange things manually.

The check depositing is very nice, I use that often. The other thing I
like is the map apps with stored maps. It eliminates the need for a
separate GPS and the maps are always up to date and when traveling in
other countries without a car you have a GPS that can run on the battery
for quite a while.

And of course it doesn't need to cost $45 per month. There is so much
free Wi-Fi these days that you can get by with relatively small amounts
of data. You can have a smart phone on Verizon's network for as little
as $2.50 per month with prepaid. We were on AT&T's network with Consumer
Cellular for a year and it was about $22/month/phone and we never went
over on the included data. We temporarily moved to T-Mobile just because
of their international roaming (included texts and 2G-speed data plus
20¢/minute voice calling), but U.S. T-Mobile coverage is pretty spotty,
at least out west.

Just got the Lollipop update yesterday. Very nice UI. Google did a good
job on this release.

Posted to alt.home.repair

used my garmin to take me to a customer today. mostly out of laziness and not going the way i normally do to avoid some construction.

boy was i surprised mendon school took me to west newton elementary. but previously garmin thought mendon was in the median of I 70
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/8/2015 1:26 PM, sms wrote:

And of course it doesn't need to cost $45 per month. There is so much
free Wi-Fi these days that you can get by with relatively small
amounts of data. You can have a smart phone on Verizon's network for
as little as $2.50 per month with prepaid. We were on AT&T's network
with Consumer Cellular for a year and it was about $22/month/phone and
we never went over on the included data. We temporarily moved to
T-Mobile just because of their international roaming (included texts
and 2G-speed data plus 20¢/minute voice calling), but U.S. T-Mobile
coverage is pretty spotty, at least out west.

I'm a cheapskate, so I've been waiting for years for a smartphone. I
don't care about the cost of the phone, but I was damned if I was
going to pay more than $20/month, or $30/month tops for a plan. And no
contract. So I've stuck with my el cheapo Virgin prepaid plan and a
dumb phone I bought in 2004. Costs me $80/year.

Then Google announced their entry into the mobile service market with
Project Fi. The service uses both T-Mobile and Virgin networks, plus a
host of free wi-fi networks nationally. The phone detects wifi and
uses it when available, otherwise it selects whichever carrier
provides a stronger signal in your current location.

$20/month for unlimited talk and text, and an additional $10/GB for
data. When you sign up, you choose how many GB of data you want per
month - but Google only actually charges you for the amount you used.
If you used less than you signed up for, they issue a refund for the
amount you didn't use and apply it against the next month's bill.

I've had it for a few weeks now. I mainly wanted a smartphone to get
on-the-go directions, and it's wonderful for that. Also, a lady
stopped me in the parking lot at FleetFarm to ask why the air was all
smoky, and I just pulled out the phone and said, "OK Google - what's
causing the smoke in this location" and it came right back with local
news reports about the Canadian wildfires affecting our local air
quality.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Moe DeLoughan" wrote in message
On 7/8/2015 1:26 PM, sms wrote:

[...]

That is about the way I was up to about a year and ahalf ago. I am already
paying about $ 50 per month for the internet at home. I doubt I would use
it very much away from home. Then they came out with the wifi systems. I
had a cell phone on the $ 10 per month plan and crried a tablet with me for
wifi. Then Republic came out with a unlimiated cell text and wifi internet
plan for $ 12 (after taxes and such) if you bought one of their smart
phones. So I went with them. Good thing is that if I ever need the
internet away fromthe wifi I can tell the phone to go to the $ 20 per month
plan and get the internet and when I am done with it , I can tell the phone
to go back to the less expensive wifi plan.