Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default LED Bulb and Phone APP (WTF)

On Tuesday, July 7, 2015 at 6:00:19 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Mon, 06 Jul 2015 23:50:30 -0500, wrote:

On my flip phone (dumbphone), I can make calls, send texts, and get very
basic internet (such as a weather radar map). It's supposed to work for
facebook too, but I wont waste my time or money on crap like that!

I never thought I'd use a smartphone much until I got one.

I agree. It's one of those things that you have to use it a bit
to appreciate all it can do. I figured I'd use it mostly when
traveling to get internet access, but wound up using it a lot
at home. Including using it to pull stuff up on the internet
or look at email while watching TV.

As to the number of apps, I have an entry level one and it has
about 35 apps on it. It is close to the max though, I have
started to run into trouble, needing to free space to do an
update, etc.

Some examples of the apps I like:

Gas Guru - Shows the lowest price gas available where you are
Ooma - Can answer or make calls on my home phone service which is Oooma
Super Backup - Makes automatic backups of important info, saves it emails it
Compass360 - Electronic compass
PowerBubble - Level
Maps
RPN Calculator
ConvertPad - Unit conversion
Accuweather
DropBox - Automatically uploads pics taken to my PC
WorldTime

Jerry said they don't offer smartphones on prepaid plans, that's
not true. All the major carriers do. You can get unlimited V/T
and 500MB of data for ~$35 a month. There are also companies
like Ting, that ride on Sprint and offer low cost monthly plans.
I got mine from Zact when they were in business. They offered
plans that you could adjust on the fly. They sold the phone
service part of the business to Virgin Mobile. I still have
the plan at VM, but they have stopped offering it to new customers.
I can get 250 v/t/d for $20. I don't use it that much though,
virtually all my data usage is on wifi, etc so I typically
end up paying less than $10 a month.