Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 9 creative way to destroy a hard drive

Got a giggle out of this:

http://www.itworld.com/article/29417...a.html#slide10

Oren and I would probably prefer #9. Well, I typically just use
a hammer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"T" wrote in message ...
Got a giggle out of this:

http://www.itworld.com/article/29417...a.html#slide10

Oren and I would probably prefer #9. Well, I typically just use
a hammer.

Can't you just send it in to the IRS, labeled "Lerner e-mails"?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/03/2015 06:02 PM, taxed and spent wrote:
"T" wrote in message ...
Got a giggle out of this:

http://www.itworld.com/article/29417...a.html#slide10

Oren and I would probably prefer #9. Well, I typically just use
a hammer.

Can't you just send it in to the IRS, labeled "Lerner e-mails"?

It would be fun to send one to Hillary. Label it as from
her server. "Sh**!!! How'd this one get away!!!"

Wonder how she'd destroy it. Any way, it would be in a hurry!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/3/2015 9:10 PM, T wrote:

http://www.itworld.com/article/29417...a.html#slide10

It would be fun to send one to Hillary. Label it as from
her server. "Sh**!!! How'd this one get away!!!"

Wonder how she'd destroy it. Any way, it would
be in a hurry!

What difference, after all, does it make?

I only saw one way, wasn't about to waste
a lot of time clicking through to the next one.

I really hate those

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/3/2015 9:10 PM, T wrote:

http://www.itworld.com/article/29417...a.html#slide10

It would be fun to send one to Hillary. Label it as from
her server. "Sh**!!! How'd this one get away!!!"

Wonder how she'd destroy it. Any way, it would be in a hurry!

...... web pages that make you ......

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/3/2015 9:10 PM, T wrote:

http://www.itworld.com/article/29417...a.html#slide10

It would be fun to send one to Hillary. Label it as from
her server. "Sh**!!! How'd this one get away!!!"

Wonder how she'd destroy it. Any way, it would be in a hurry!

..... click through page after page to see the
rest of the web page.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/03/2015 05:51 PM, T wrote:
Got a giggle out of this:

http://www.itworld.com/article/29417...a.html#slide10

Oren and I would probably prefer #9. Well, I typically just use
a hammer.

From what I have read in these haunts, I bet the majority of
you would go for the drill press.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/03/2015 07:11 PM, T wrote:
From what I have read in these haunts, I bet the majority of
you would go for the drill press.

I don't have a drill press except for the little Dremel deal. I do,
however, have a vintage Mosin Nagant that can solve a lot of problems,
especially with those Russian steel jacketed rounds. Not the most
accurate, but I should be able to get a 3 1/2" HD at 100 yards.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/3/15 8:51 PM, T wrote:
Got a giggle out of this:

http://www.itworld.com/article/29417...a.html#slide10

Oren and I would probably prefer #9. Well, I typically just use
a hammer.

I like 4. Print up your email so you can burn it in the fireplace.

10 looks dangerous. If sensitive shooters see you walking downrange
with a hard drive of sensitive data, they may open fire before you can
put it down.

I like to collect cartoons about people with disabilities, women, and
ethnic groups. Especially the English. After what they've done to the
English language in the last 400 years, who's going to defend them? If
the NSA gets hold of my hard drive and finds all that insensitive data,
they'll lose interest.

If I need to be sure a hard drive can't be salvaged, I take it to the
Jiffy Lube place.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"T" wrote in message ...

Got a giggle out of this:

http://www.itworld.com/article/29417...a.html#slide10

Oren and I would probably prefer #9. Well, I typically just use
a hammer.

You and your buddy should seek violence counseling. You both seem to have
issues that should be dealt with by professional councilors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"T" wrote in message ...

Got a giggle out of this:

http://www.itworld.com/article/29417...a.html#slide10

Oren and I would probably prefer #9. Well, I typically just use
a hammer.

You and your buddy should seek violence counseling. You both seem to
have issues that should be dealt with by professional councilors.

:-)

This queer is trolling me. Pay attention, the thing cannot spell
counselors. The dumb **** is giving advise to gun owners.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 3 Jul 2015 17:51:11 -0700, T wrote:

Got a giggle out of this:

http://www.itworld.com/article/29417...a.html#slide10

Oren and I would probably prefer #9. Well, I typically just use
a hammer.

True, If we don't have Thermite.

"There's nothing like the scent of Cordite in a woman's hair."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/04/2015 09:21 AM, Oren wrote:
"There's nothing like the scent of Cordite in a woman's hair."

I don't think I've ever smelled Cordite... I deduct points for
detective story authors that mention cordite.

Unless they're trolling that is. There was one author that would have
the antagonist click the safety off on his revolver. When the irate
letters started rolling in he'd point out the hero was carrying one of
the few revolvers that did have a safety. Gotcha!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/4/15 1:50 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 07/04/2015 09:21 AM, Oren wrote:
"There's nothing like the scent of Cordite in a woman's hair."

I don't think I've ever smelled Cordite... I deduct points for
detective story authors that mention cordite.

Unless they're trolling that is. There was one author that would have
the antagonist click the safety off on his revolver. When the irate
letters started rolling in he'd point out the hero was carrying one of
the few revolvers that did have a safety. Gotcha!

The antagonist and the protagonist must have had similar revolvers.

The British once used cordite in their .303 cartridge, but I don't think
I've ever smelled it. They issued us hexamethylenetetramine (30 Mj/kg)
to cook. The big advantage was that it burned invisibly. That didn't
matter to me. I didn't cook at night because I didn't carry a flashlight.

The fumes had sulfur and carbon monoxide. Holding a canteen cup over a
burning tab, how do you avoid the fumes? I switched to C-4. I got along
fine with it except the time I put some on the trunk of a banana tree
and lit it. It flared up and I realized it was a terrible idea. It was
hard to extinguish. I had to hit the plastic explosive repeatedly with
my entrenching tool.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/04/2015 07:03 PM, J Burns wrote:
The antagonist and the protagonist must have had similar revolvers.

What can I say? Sometimes I try to rise above my intellect and it never
fares well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 4, 2015 at 8:03:08 PM UTC-5, J Burns wrote:
On 7/4/15 1:50 PM, rbowman wrote:
[...]

My older brother was in Special Forces in Nam and he told me of the dangers of lighting C-4 then hitting it with something. He said if it was hit hard enough the shock could cause the burning C-4 to explode. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Exploding Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/4/15 1:50 PM, rbowman wrote:
[...]

Believe it or not, there used to be a myth that it was dangerous to fly
a kite in a thunderstorm. Ben Franklin proved them wrong.

Extinguishing that fire mattered more than life itself. A few clicks
away, a country doctor had the most ravishing daughter I'd seen in a
long time. (She was the only daughter I'd seen in a long time. He was
the only father who didn't hide his daughter when he saw me coming.) If
word got out that I was less than a perfect gentleman, that would ruin
my chances with the princess, unless of course she, too, had always
wanted to burn a banana tree.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/03/2015 08:39 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 3 Jul 2015 17:51:11 -0700, T wrote:

Got a giggle out of this:

http://www.itworld.com/article/29417...a.html#slide10

Oren and I would probably prefer #9. Well, I typically just use
a hammer.

I have never seen the need to destroy a working hard drive. There are
too many utilities that will wipe the data without harming the drive.
When they do go tits up, I get out my screw gun with a torx bit and
take it apart.
Those are really cool magnets in there and worth the dig.

I did shoot this one with a .380 and the bullet bounced off.

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Bad%20W-D.jpg

Hi Gfretwell,

Some of the utilities don't get everything with a solid state
drive. Hammer works great.

I use full drive encryption on my office drives (I love Linux!).
I have a moral obligation to protect my customer's private
data, not to mention my own tax documents, etc..

You should have used a .45!

-T

Love the picture!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 4, 2015 at 11:46:30 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 15:11:36 -0700, T wrote:

On 07/04/2015 03:02 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 13:37:30 -0700, T wrote:

On 07/04/2015 08:15 AM,
wrote:
I don't use SSDs but I am not sure why over writing all of the data
fields with hash data would not work.

It has an "algorithm" as to where it puts stuff, not
a physical location.

Yup but if you load it "full" (over marked available areas), no matter
what it was, it ain't there anymore. In real life SSD storage has less
of a memory than oxide.

Here is an article on it:
http://windowssecrets.com/newsletter...sal-of-drives/

If the storage processor marked a chip bad, I doubt any windoze tool
can see it again. There may be a factory level program that can revive
a dead chip like you can reclaim a bad sector on a disk drive but I
doubt your average hacker is going to be doing that ... just to see
your old movies..

If anything, this is just another reason not to use SSDs.

I read the article and see his point about SSD's. It's the need for
wear leveling that complicates things. But this is a major problem
anywhere you have real security concerns. I would think there are
probably utilities available that will securely erase the whole
thing.

Agree with your previous comments too. How secure you really need to erase
something spans a wide range. Like you say, the largest hole is those
that think because they deleted a file, it's gone, when it's actually
right there in the garbage can where even an amature can instantly
retrieve it. At the other extreme, you have people running wipe
algorithms that take days to complete, to wipe all of a drive with DOD
class levels. Unless you have some special needs, just writing the
disk with zeros or random data works for me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/05/2015 06:55 AM, trader_4 wrote:
Unless you have some special needs, just writing the
disk with zeros or random data works for me.

Use at own risk and you need Linux:

dd bs=4096 if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdx

where sdx is the disk to erase (sdc, sdd, sde, etc.)

Don't think it would get everything on an SSD though.
A hammer always works.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/03/2015 09:39 PM, wrote:
I did shoot this one with a .380 and the bullet bounced off.

Yeah, well that's a .380 for ya.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 4, 2015 at 12:02:11 AM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:
On 07/03/2015 09:39 PM, wrote:
I did shoot this one with a .380 and the bullet bounced off.

Yeah, well that's a .380 for ya.

I have a .380 because I don't have the strength anymore to handle a .50 cal. A .380 can still put an eye out. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Bullet Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/04/2015 06:03 AM, Frank wrote:
Shot a Desert Eagle .50 AE last week. Only fired one round, not because
it was too hard to handle, but because the ejected case hit me in the
forehead above the eye. Still have a mark there.

I've got a 50 AE case on my desk that I found at the range. I amuse
myself by dropping a .45 ACP round into it. The .45 rattles around a
little.

I've never been interested in insta-flinch loads.

Damaged USB hard drive News UK diy 42 November 19th 14 01:20 AM
OT USB hard drive Harry Bloomfield[_3_] UK diy 7 March 9th 14 05:25 PM
OT Online hard drive Terry Home Repair 12 November 29th 07 01:18 AM
Creative Creative I-Trigue 2.1 3300 - No Output from Left Channel ML Electronics Repair 2 September 17th 05 07:01 PM
Sony VAIO PCG-K25 Notebook PC (2.8 GHz Pentium 4, 512 MB RAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, DVD+/-RW Drive) Laptopmania Electronics 0 December 5th 04 03:43 PM