Posted to rec.food.cooking,talk.origins,alt.home.repair

Default OT Online hard drive

Having a Gig of online hard drive space would be very useful.

http://askwiki.blogspot.com/2007/11/...om-google.html

The first use for me would be to store "My Documents". Use Winrar and
password the file then upload. No more backing up data.

Posted to alt.home.repair

hhttp://askwiki.blogspot.com/2007/11/gdrive-next-big-thing-from-google.html

The first use for me would be to store "My Documents". Use Winrar and
password the file then upload. No more backing up data.

Never fart in your space suit!
Posted to rec.food.cooking,talk.origins,alt.home.repair

Sqwertz wrote in
:

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 19:52:58 -0500, Terry wrote:

Having a Gig of online hard drive space would be very useful.
{snip}
The first use for me would be to store "My Documents". Use Winrar

and
password the file then upload. No more backing up data.

You may as well send your penis there too.

What will people *not* part with in this online age?

-sw

I think you already mentioned it

Posted to rec.food.cooking,talk.origins,alt.home.repair
Sky Sky is offline

Terry wrote:

Having a Gig of online hard drive space would be very useful.

URL snipped

The first use for me would be to store "My Documents". Use Winrar and
password the file then upload. No more backing up data.

Beware the data harvesters! No matter what, I'd never purposely store
any of my personal data 'online' if I can help it. Give me good old
floppies, CDs, DVDs, USB hard drives, whatever, but I won't store my
data online on any storage location I can't put my fingers on!

Beware, 'big brother' watches!

Sky, who says call me paranoid (NOT!) - only cautious!

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice

Posted to rec.food.cooking,talk.origins,alt.home.repair

"Terry" wrote in message
Having a Gig of online hard drive space would be very useful.

http://askwiki.blogspot.com/2007/11/...om-google.html

The first use for me would be to store "My Documents". Use Winrar and
password the file then upload. No more backing up data.

As long as the data isn't important to you, this is a great idea. But, if it
is important, and especially if it comes from a computer which is used to
generate income, you need total control of your backup media. With online
backups, you have no such control.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,talk.origins,alt.home.repair

Lets see. If you make a RAR file, and then pass word protect it and upload
it to an offsite storage. Isn't that the very act of backing up data? Oops,
no more backing up data! Cancell that order! Don't do that!

--

Christopher A. Young;
..

"Terry" wrote in message
Having a Gig of online hard drive space would be very useful.

http://askwiki.blogspot.com/2007/11/...om-google.html

The first use for me would be to store "My Documents". Use Winrar and
password the file then upload. No more backing up data.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,talk.origins,alt.home.repair

Considering that a CD costs far less than a dollar, why would anyone want to
risk losing his (her) privacy by storing data offsite? I might store a
couple disks at my parents house, for example. But not at some remote
website.

--

Christopher A. Young;
..

"Sky" wrote in message

Beware the data harvesters! No matter what, I'd never purposely store
any of my personal data 'online' if I can help it. Give me good old
floppies, CDs, DVDs, USB hard drives, whatever, but I won't store my
data online on any storage location I can't put my fingers on!

Beware, 'big brother' watches!

Sky, who says call me paranoid (NOT!) - only cautious!

Posted to rec.food.cooking,talk.origins,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 21:40:04 -0600, Sky
wrote:

Terry wrote:

Having a Gig of online hard drive space would be very useful.

URL snipped

The first use for me would be to store "My Documents". Use Winrar and
password the file then upload. No more backing up data.

Beware the data harvesters! No matter what, I'd never purposely store
any of my personal data 'online' if I can help it. Give me good old
floppies, CDs, DVDs, USB hard drives, whatever, but I won't store my
data online on any storage location I can't put my fingers on!

Beware, 'big brother' watches!

Sky, who says call me paranoid (NOT!) - only cautious!

I fully agree. I wont even use my real name and personal info on
those forms that seem all too common on many websites these days.

I dont see why it's all that hard to backup at home. I have not yet
bought one of those USB Harddrives, but I have several old hard drives
that cost me under $10. About every 3 months I just plug them in to
one of the spare ide cables and copy my whole computer to it. In
between, I copy important stuff to memory sticks or floppies. I also
tried CDs, but thats far too much work since the software I have is
not capable of chaining from disk to disk.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,talk.origins,alt.home.repair

Sqwertz wrote:
On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 09:03:14 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Lets see. If you make a RAR file, and then pass word protect it and upload
it to an offsite storage. Isn't that the very act of backing up data? Oops,
no more backing up data! Cancell that order! Don't do that!

And then after they get millions of users, they decide to start
charging for downloads.

-sw

Or just disappears because they aren't making money from popups or
whatever it is that pays for their hosting cost.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,talk.origins,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 19:52:58 -0500, the following appeared
in talk.origins, posted by Terry :

Having a Gig of online hard drive space would be very useful.

http://askwiki.blogspot.com/2007/11/...om-google.html

The first use for me would be to store "My Documents". Use Winrar and
password the file then upload. No more backing up data.

What a *marvelous* idea! Tell you what, I'll provide you
with enough space on my hard drive for you to store all your
important stuff: Credit card numbers, bank account info,
etc. Just email me the info, and I'll encrypt it for free,
so you can rest easy that no hackers can get it from me.

How's that sound?
--

Bob C.

"Evidence confirming an observation is
- McNameless

Posted to rec.food.cooking,talk.origins,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 16:23:53 -0500, the following appeared
in talk.origins, posted by George :

Sqwertz wrote:
On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 09:03:14 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Lets see. If you make a RAR file, and then pass word protect it and upload
it to an offsite storage. Isn't that the very act of backing up data? Oops,
no more backing up data! Cancell that order! Don't do that!

And then after they get millions of users, they decide to start
charging for downloads.

-sw

Or just disappears because they aren't making money from popups or
whatever it is that pays for their hosting cost.

*And* they have essentially unlimited time to take a close
look at those passwords. What a deal!