Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Capacitor spec's, choosing replacements...

I know there are some electronics guys here; I'm a nukeE by training w/
not much other than a basic circuits kinda' electronics background so am
outta' my knowledge area here...

Had an old ('69 vintage) receiver refurb'ed and the output coupling
capacitors which were replaced failed after only a couple of months.
The fella' who did the work has been doing this since '83 or so and says
it's the first time in his experience he's ever seen such a failure.

The schematic calls for 2200 uf/50V; those installed were actually 63V
instead of 50V. Per his usual practice, he replaced them with 2200
uF/80 V/(I don't know temp rating I realize).

The originals were ELNA CE-W but I have no idea what their actual spec's
might have been.

Anyway, the question is, anybody have any insight on what would be a
reliable replacement for the originals with a likelihood of surviving
more than a few months?

I debated putting the originals back in as they weren't the actual
failure point but electrolytics tending to degrade with time after 40
years seems that would be borrowed time, too...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/29/2015 04:48 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

I saw something similar on some industrial equipment I was working on.

The batch of capacitors used was just plain defective...

Just get some made by a different manufacturer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb,

The replacement capacitors, 2200uF 80v, should have been more than
adequate. No idea what failed in your receiver. Replace the caps and then
take some measurements to see if anything is wrong. These caps run $3-4
apiece and are very common.
Brand new parts are sometimes bad.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
[...]

Best group for this question would be sci.electronics.repair

Posted to alt.home.repair

Could the polarity of the replacement capacitors have been reversed by some reasonable situation?

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Is the receiver solid state(transistor) or vacuum tube? I guess, solid
state. Until you try another one(different brand) in there, it is hard
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/29/2015 5:48 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

Most likely - bad replacement caps (mentioned by other replies). Not
likely but possible - your repairman accidentally reversed polarity.
Additional consideration - both the original and replacements might have
failed due to an additional problem in the amplifier's circuit -
producing an abnormally high load on the caps. In that case, the
circuit will continue to eat replacement caps unless/until the
underlying defective parts are identified and replaced.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Could the polarity of the replacement capacitors have been reversed by some reasonable situation?

Then it will cause a short.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Capacitor is use in many different area for filtering for doubling Voltage
for passing signal through.
I will assume that this capacitor is in filtering circuit and as one
gentlemen outlined it, I would
say it was bad Cap. The higher voltage actually it should add reliability,
but reversing polarity
in the filter circuit, it will short out and that will happen almost
immediately.

"dpb" wrote in message ...

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...

Had an old ('69 vintage) receiver refurb'ed and the output coupling
capacitors which were replaced failed after only a couple of months.
The fella' who did the work has been doing this since '83 or so and says
it's the first time in his experience he's ever seen such a failure.

Notice he said output coupling.

The polarity could have been backwards. It might have been good to look at
the ESR of the capacitor. Also get a high temperature rating. A higher
voltage should be fine. The installed capacitors could be defective or some
very old stock.

Posted to alt.home.repair

That's why I suggested reversed polarity. If it had been in a filter circuit, then a reversed capacitor would most likely have generated a fair amount of heat as it shorted, with 4th of July sounds very frequently accompanying the short.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 29, 2015 at 4:48:56 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:
[...]

Going with a higher voltage rating is fine but look at the temperature rating. Someone mentioned mil-spec capacitors which have higher temp ratings than standard consumer grade components. I wonder what the temp rating is of your failed electrolytic capacitors is. I replaced power supply capacitors in LCD monitors in a restaurant kitchen with higher voltage and temperature rated electrolytic capacitors and that solved the problems the restaurant was having with monitors dying from heat exhaustion. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Hot Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...

Had an old ('69 vintage) receiver refurb'ed and the output coupling
capacitors which were replaced failed after only a couple of months.
The fella' who did the work has been doing this since '83 or so and says
it's the first time in his experience he's ever seen such a failure.

Notice he said output coupling.

The polarity could have been backwards. It might have been good to look at
the ESR of the capacitor. Also get a high temperature rating. A higher
voltage should be fine. The installed capacitors could be defective or some
very old stock.

Sounds like transistor type circuitry using that high value caps. Vacuum
tube circuitry does not have caps. with that high value. Looks like
direct coupled OTL amp. section.
Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote:
[...]

Fake caps of some sort ? Output coupling caps should be easy to handle the
voltage specified. Output caps sit at 1/2 the rail voltage. They only peak
at rail voltage at clipping of amp.they can push considerable current, and
could get hot with high ESR specs.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

gregz wrote:
philo wrote:
[...]

Output cap short can result in speaker failure ?? I would want to test that
type cap with constant voltage out of circuit. also test capacitance and
esr. Order by digikey, etc., not eBay.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 07/01/2015 3:12 AM, gregz wrote:

I saw something similar on some industrial equipment I was working on.

The batch of capacitors used was just plain defective...

It is possible; just my luck maybe...

Just get some made by a different manufacturer.

Fake caps of some sort ? Output coupling caps should be easy to handle the
voltage specified. Output caps sit at 1/2 the rail voltage. They only peak
at rail voltage at clipping of amp.they can push considerable current, and
could get hot with high ESR specs.

Greg

Output cap short can result in speaker failure ?? I would want to test that
type cap with constant voltage out of circuit. also test capacitance and
esr. Order by digikey, etc., not eBay.

Greg

The caps used by the tech were from one of the west coast merchants 105C
rated. I don't know what the ESR spec's were; more significant perhaps
and what I was hoping beyond hope somebody might have a road to find out
is what the originals' spec's/construction might have been for
comparison. They've a manufacturer's code but nothing other than
voltage/capacitance that is decipherable.

They seem to have failed open not as dead short; did no damage; the
amplifier it self was still functioning excepting there was only the
barest of output to the speakers...and they're ok with a replacement amp
that's been driving them for a couple/three months now since the failure
and trying to decide what to replace these with. It wouldn't be such a
big deal if the tech was local and could just drop by and experiment but
it's costing quite a lot to just ship the unit not to mention the hassle
of packing it up so trying to ensure don't have to do that again...

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 07/01/2015 6:55 AM, dpb wrote:

They seem to have failed open not as dead short; did no damage; the
amplifier it self was still functioning excepting there was only the
barest of output to the speakers...and they're ok with a replacement amp
that's been driving them for a couple/three months now since the failure ...

For clarification, the second "they" above is referring to the speakers,
not the coupling caps...

Posted to alt.home.repair

You have stated that "Vacuum tube circuit" does not have or use capacitors,
that is far from being truth and specially in High power Amps. RF or the
audio.
As I said before Capacitors are use for passing signal through and are use
in DC circuit to filter AC out it all depend what application is use for.
in filtering Capacity is usually Large in coupling signal usually small or
smaller.
DC filter circuit Voltage can be in Thousands and Capacity up to Hundred uf.
However most common around 10 uf. if chock is use between.
Higher Value is hard to find and become Very expansive .

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message ...

"dpb" wrote in message ...

Had an old ('69 vintage) receiver refurb'ed and the output coupling
capacitors which were replaced failed after only a couple of months.
The fella' who did the work has been doing this since '83 or so and says
it's the first time in his experience he's ever seen such a failure.

Notice he said output coupling.

The polarity could have been backwards. It might have been good to look
at
the ESR of the capacitor. Also get a high temperature rating. A higher
voltage should be fine. The installed capacitors could be defective or
some
very old stock.

Sounds like transistor type circuitry using that high value caps. Vacuum
tube circuitry does not have caps. with that high value. Looks like
direct coupled OTL amp. section.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"tony944" wrote in message
news
You have stated that "Vacuum tube circuit" does not have or use capacitors,
that is far from being truth and specially in High power Amps. RF or the
audio.
As I said before Capacitors are use for passing signal through and are use
in DC circuit to filter AC out, it all depend what application is use for.
in filtering Capacity is usually Large in coupling signal usually small or
smaller.
DC filter circuit Voltage can be in Thousands and Capacity up to Hundred uf.
However most common around 10 uf. if chock is use between.
Higher Value in capacity is hard to find and become Very expansive .

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message ...

"dpb" wrote in message ...

Had an old ('69 vintage) receiver refurb'ed and the output coupling
capacitors which were replaced failed after only a couple of months.
The fella' who did the work has been doing this since '83 or so and says
it's the first time in his experience he's ever seen such a failure.

Notice he said output coupling.

The polarity could have been backwards. It might have been good to look
at
the ESR of the capacitor. Also get a high temperature rating. A higher
voltage should be fine. The installed capacitors could be defective or
some
very old stock.

Sounds like transistor type circuitry using that high value caps. Vacuum
tube circuitry does not have caps. with that high value. Looks like
direct coupled OTL amp. section.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 1 Jul 2015 07:53:39 +0000 (UTC), gregz
wrote:

philo wrote:
[...]

Use low esr 2200 65 or 75 volt name brand caps rated for 105C or
better. Don't waste solder on 85C rated caps.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 07/01/2015 2:27 PM, wrote:

Use low esr 2200 65 or 75 volt name brand caps rated for 105C or
better. Don't waste solder on 85C rated caps.

These _were_ 105C rated...

Posted to alt.home.repair

tony944 wrote:

"tony944" wrote in message
news
You have stated that "Vacuum tube circuit" does not have or use capacitors,
that is far from being truth and specially in High power Amps. RF or the
audio.

You missed three words, with that high value.

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message ...

"dpb" wrote in message ...

Had an old ('69 vintage) receiver refurb'ed and the output coupling
capacitors which were replaced failed after only a couple of months.
The fella' who did the work has been doing this since '83 or so and says
it's the first time in his experience he's ever seen such a failure.

Notice he said output coupling.

The polarity could have been backwards. It might have been good to
look at
the ESR of the capacitor. Also get a high temperature rating. A higher
voltage should be fine. The installed capacitors could be defective
or some
very old stock.

Sounds like transistor type circuitry using that high value caps. Vacuum
tube circuitry does not have caps. with that high value. Looks like
direct coupled OTL amp. section.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 07/01/2015 2:45 PM, dpb wrote:
On 07/01/2015 2:27 PM, wrote:

Use low esr 2200 65 or 75 volt name brand caps rated for 105C or
better. Don't waste solder on 85C rated caps.

These _were_ 105C rated...

and @ 80V...

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
On 07/01/2015 2:45 PM, dpb wrote:
On 07/01/2015 2:27 PM, wrote:

Use low esr 2200 65 or 75 volt name brand caps rated for 105C or
better. Don't waste solder on 85C rated caps.

These _were_ 105C rated...

and @ 80V...

--

That might have been part of the problem. Higher voltage might be higher
esr.

Greg