Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default 672D Capacitor Spec? (In 2465B)

While scraping together enough parts to satisfy the DigiKey $25 order
threshold (sans $5 service charge), I decided to open up my 2465B and
see which electrolytic caps were in the PS section (which appears to
be soft, as I previously posted). I was able to track down
replacements for most of them, but I'm stumped on three other types.
Two of them are 672D series, the other 39D. All three appear to have
United Chemi-Con logos. More specifically:

1. 672D150 - 250uF, 20V, 105C
2. 672D? - 180uF, 40V, 105C
3. 39DX1314 - 290uF, 200V

Both the 672D and 39D were Sprague series, but I'm not sure if they
were the same as these UCC caps. Neither Vishay/Sprague nor UCC have
any information about either series on their websites (Vishay has a
U673D series, presumably a lead-free version of the 672D, except that
they are all radials, whereas at least one of the 672Ds in the scope
is an axial). I googled six ways from Sunday and came up empty,
though I found a cross-reference on the Illinois Capacitor site (672D -
RZS if radial, TMA if axial), and worked backwards to UCC series RZ

(radial) or KME-T (axial), Nichicon PZ (radial), and Panasonic NME
(axial). Of course these last four may have worse specs than the
Illinois caps and perhaps the 672D as well. An actual spec for the
original caps would settle the matter, but I can't locate that
either. Any other suggestions for determining what cap(s) would be
suitable replacements? Just get the lowest-ESR, highest ripple 105C
axial that will fit? One more thing - none of those three capacitance
values are available in the axials I found; closest are 330uF and
220uF. How critical are the values in the 2465s supplies?

Thanks,
TM
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
dan dan is offline

On Dec 3, 9:20 pm, wrote:
[...]

Hi Tim, I fix these all the time. The 330uf is what I prefer to use
@50vdc for all the 220uf caps (actually 35vdc will work). Be sure
they are 105c or they will not last. Change all the 220uf caps and
the 100uf closer to the transformer. You can actually swap the 100uf
caps if they are not bad. The one I am talking about gets a lot of
stress because it series couples the -15 to make the -8 unreg. The
other one is just a filter and never fails. The rest of the caps do
not fail often.