Posted to alt.home.repair

Default F35B does a ski jump

Hi All,

A 40 second video of an F35B taking off on a ski jump.
Incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=P5LdkPaERhI

-T
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/29/2015 11:27 AM, T wrote:
Hi All,

A 40 second video of an F35B taking off on a ski jump.
Incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=P5LdkPaERhI

-T

Wow, that engine must be several hundred horsepower to do something like
that!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/29/2015 01:44 PM, philo wrote:
On 06/29/2015 11:27 AM, T wrote:
Hi All,

A 40 second video of an F35B taking off on a ski jump.
Incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=P5LdkPaERhI

-T

Wow, that engine must be several hundred horsepower to do something like
that!

What blew my mind was that it made it look easy!

I remember the old F4's -- we called then "hogs" -- in
the Air Force back in the 70's. Took them forever to
take off. I always feared for the pilots. Well, after
I was done laughing at the pine needles that flew off
from the trees at the end of the runway.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/29/2015 11:27 AM, T wrote:
Hi All,

A 40 second video of an F35B taking off on a ski jump.
Incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=P5LdkPaERhI

-T

Wow, that engine must be several hundred horsepower to do something
like that!

What blew my mind was that it made it look easy!

I remember the old F4's -- we called then "hogs" -- in
the Air Force back in the 70's. Took them forever to
take off. I always feared for the pilots. Well, after
I was done laughing at the pine needles that flew off
from the trees at the end of the runway.

It's a VTOL aircraft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW28Mb1YvwY

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/29/2015 11:27 AM, T wrote:
Hi All,

A 40 second video of an F35B taking off on a ski jump.
Incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=P5LdkPaERhI

-T

Wow, that engine must be several hundred horsepower to do something
like that!

What blew my mind was that it made it look easy!

I remember the old F4's -- we called then "hogs" -- in
the Air Force back in the 70's. Took them forever to
take off. I always feared for the pilots. Well, after
I was done laughing at the pine needles that flew off
from the trees at the end of the runway.

It's a VTOL aircraft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW28Mb1YvwY

Have you seen this one? 8-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWTK9phKoaE

[8~{} Uncle Zoom Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Jun 2015 15:44:10 -0500, philo wrote:

On 06/29/2015 11:27 AM, T wrote:
Hi All,

A 40 second video of an F35B taking off on a ski jump.
Incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=P5LdkPaERhI

-T

Wow, that engine must be several hundred horsepower to do something like
that!

It's such a great engine it has to be torn down for inspection every
30 - 50 hours or operation. They won't have the software actually
finished for another 3 to 5 years. It's the worst run aircraft
development program in the history of the world.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/29/2015 11:27 AM, T wrote:
Hi All,

A 40 second video of an F35B taking off on a ski jump.
Incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=P5LdkPaERhI

-T

Wow, that engine must be several hundred horsepower to do something like
that!

It's such a great engine it has to be torn down for inspection every
30 - 50 hours or operation. They won't have the software actually
finished for another 3 to 5 years. It's the worst run aircraft
development program in the history of the world.

I'm sure everyone would like to know your source. I like to read multiple sources because everyone puts a different spin on their stories. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Jet Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/29/2015 11:27 AM, T wrote:
Hi All,

A 40 second video of an F35B taking off on a ski jump.
Incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=P5LdkPaERhI

-T

Wow, that engine must be several hundred horsepower to do something like
that!

It's such a great engine it has to be torn down for inspection every
30 - 50 hours or operation. They won't have the software actually
finished for another 3 to 5 years. It's the worst run aircraft
development program in the history of the world.

Doesn't it cost about a billion dollars or so????
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/30/2015 01:40 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
I'm sure everyone would like to know your source. I like to read multiple sources because everyone puts a different spin on their stories. ^_^

It doesn't take much research to uncover the F35's problems. It's over
budget, overdue, and not very reliable. The Army has been letting some
tests slide but the Marines are pickier. They don't get many new toys
and they damn sure want one that works.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/29/2015 11:27 AM, T wrote:
Hi All,

A 40 second video of an F35B taking off on a ski jump.
Incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=P5LdkPaERhI

-T

Wow, that engine must be several hundred horsepower to do something like
that!

It's such a great engine it has to be torn down for inspection every
30 - 50 hours or operation. They won't have the software actually
finished for another 3 to 5 years. It's the worst run aircraft
development program in the history of the world.

I'm sure everyone would like to know your source. I like to read multiple sources because everyone puts a different spin on their stories. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Jet Monster

Aviation week and space tech has run lots of articles on it.
http://aviationweek.com/search/results/f-35

So has military.com

It's a jobs program for the defense industry. That's not to say that
if they throw enough money at it for long enough they won't eventually
have an aircraft that will more or less accomplish more or less what
it needs to do (which is not the same as what they CLAIMED it WOULD
do). Your tax dollars at waste.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/29/2015 11:27 AM, T wrote:
Hi All,

A 40 second video of an F35B taking off on a ski jump.
Incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=P5LdkPaERhI

-T

Wow, that engine must be several hundred horsepower to do something like
that!

It's such a great engine it has to be torn down for inspection every
30 - 50 hours or operation. They won't have the software actually
finished for another 3 to 5 years. It's the worst run aircraft
development program in the history of the world.

Doesn't it cost about a billion dollars or so????

Figure $100 million per plane. The US plans to buy over 3000 of them.
Then add in the maintenance and repairs and I would imagine a billion
won't be far off the mark.

Here's a fun article.

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the...igh-1714712248

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/30/2015 01:30 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 06:20:44 -0500, philo wrote:

Doesn't it cost about a billion dollars or so????

Figure $100 million per plane. The US plans to buy over 3000 of them.
Then add in the maintenance and repairs and I would imagine a billion
won't be far off the mark.

Here's a fun article.

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the...igh-1714712248

Looks like a waste of money
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 30, 2015 at 9:05:41 AM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:
On 06/30/2015 01:40 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
I'm sure everyone would like to know your source. I like to read multiple sources because everyone puts a different spin on their stories. ^_^

It doesn't take much research to uncover the F35's problems. It's over
budget, overdue, and not very reliable. The Army has been letting some
tests slide but the Marines are pickier. They don't get many new toys
and they damn sure want one that works.

I think the Pentagon made the mistake of thinking it could build a do everything plane. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Flying Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote:
On 06/29/2015 11:27 AM, T wrote:
Hi All,

A 40 second video of an F35B taking off on a ski jump.
Incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=P5LdkPaERhI

-T

Wow, that engine must be several hundred horsepower to do something like that!

Need hot rod..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtqasYWfDUM

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 1, 2015 at 2:38:39 AM UTC-5, Gz wrote:
philo wrote:
On 06/29/2015 11:27 AM, T wrote:
Hi All,

A 40 second video of an F35B taking off on a ski jump.
Incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=P5LdkPaERhI

-T

Wow, that engine must be several hundred horsepower to do something like that!

Need hot rod..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtqasYWfDUM

Greg

Even old guys need hot rod...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y73tnUn6ETY

[8~{} Uncle Old Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/1/2015 3:37 AM, gregz wrote:

Need hot rod..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtqasYWfDUM

Greg

Since I took the controls of a Piper TriPacer when I was 10 I wanted to
do something like that. I also want to fly a P-51 and a 747. Just once
around the pattern would do.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/30/2015 10:49 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Tuesday, June 30, 2015 at 9:05:41 AM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:
On 06/30/2015 01:40 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
I'm sure everyone would like to know your source. I like to read multiple sources because everyone puts a different spin on their stories. ^_^

It doesn't take much research to uncover the F35's problems. It's over
budget, overdue, and not very reliable. The Army has been letting some
tests slide but the Marines are pickier. They don't get many new toys
and they damn sure want one that works.

I think the Pentagon made the mistake of thinking it could build a do everything plane. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Flying Monster

A lot of our more successful weapon systems started out that way.
The M1 tank for instance. I remember reading that the M14 rifle
would dispensable on you if you pressed on a certain spot.
These things get worked out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 01 Jul 2015 09:29:36 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 7/1/2015 3:37 AM, gregz wrote:

Need hot rod..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtqasYWfDUM

Greg

Since I took the controls of a Piper TriPacer when I was 10 I wanted to
do something like that. I also want to fly a P-51 and a 747. Just once
around the pattern would do.

Did you ever bring the controls back?

I almost bought a tri-pacer back in the 70's, the only thing I thought
I could afford. Flight instructor talked me out of it saying it flew
like a rock so I just continued to rent till I got out of the whole
thing due to spiraling costs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/1/2015 7:05 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:

Since I took the controls of a Piper TriPacer when I was 10 I wanted to
do something like that. I also want to fly a P-51 and a 747. Just once
around the pattern would do.

Did you ever bring the controls back?

I almost bought a tri-pacer back in the 70's, the only thing I thought
I could afford. Flight instructor talked me out of it saying it flew
like a rock so I just continued to rent till I got out of the whole
thing due to spiraling costs.

If you want to buy one, I have the controls.
http://www.controller.com/list/list....ltxt=TRI-PACER

Flying is a lot of fun, but gets expensive quick. 5 to 10 gph drains
the wallet fast.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/30/2015 11:49 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
I think the Pentagon made the mistake of thinking it could build a do everything plane. o_O

Too bad the do everything plane just got it's ass kicked by a F-16 in a
mock dogfight. The spin meisters are spinning away on that one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/01/2015 09:22 AM, T wrote:
A lot of our more successful weapon systems started out that way.
The M1 tank for instance. I remember reading that the M14 rifle
would dispensable on you if you pressed on a certain spot.

Nah, M14's are indispensable. Unlike the M16 and its offspring.

These things get worked out.

Sometimes. A few hundred billion buys a lot of bandaids.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/01/2015 09:27 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 07/01/2015 09:22 AM, T wrote:
A lot of our more successful weapon systems started out that way.
The M1 tank for instance. I remember reading that the M14 rifle
would dispensable on you if you pressed on a certain spot.

Nah, M14's are indispensable.

If I remember correctly and my memory is a little vague, if a Marine
placed the prototype M14 down to crawl under barbed wire and pressed
on the rifle a certain way, they rifle fell apart. Chuckle. It
was obviously corrected.

Unlike the M16 and its offspring.

1+ The M14 was the last "shooters" rifle. M16 is just
for spray painting lead.

Have you seen what they have done with the M14 lately?
http://sageinternationalltd.com/SIL-welcome7.png
Yikes!

These things get worked out.

Sometimes. A few hundred billion buys a lot of bandaids.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 1, 2015 at 10:22:51 AM UTC-5, T wrote:
[...]

I seem to recall a time when a lot of planes were lost during the development phase. Every little thing had to be worked on to get the bugs out. There was no computer modeling or simulation like what's available today. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Test Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/02/2015 03:24 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
I seem to recall a time when a lot of planes were lost during the development phase. Every little thing had to be worked on to get the bugs out. There was no computer modeling or simulation like what's available today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Flivver

Just as well Ford lost interest when Brooks died. If the idea had caught
on we might have a plane in every garage. The idea of a soccer mom with
a cellphone in a plane makes my blood run cold.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, July 2, 2015 at 8:52:08 PM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:
On 07/02/2015 03:24 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
I seem to recall a time when a lot of planes were lost during the development phase. Every little thing had to be worked on to get the bugs out. There was no computer modeling or simulation like what's available today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Flivver

Just as well Ford lost interest when Brooks died. If the idea had caught
on we might have a plane in every garage. The idea of a soccer mom with
a cellphone in a plane makes my blood run cold.

OMG! Texting while flying. Geez! 0_0

[8~{} Uncle Flying Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/02/2015 08:52 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 07/02/2015 03:24 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
I seem to recall a time when a lot of planes were lost during the development phase. Every little thing had to be worked on to get the bugs out. There was no computer modeling or simulation like what's available today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Flivver

Just as well Ford lost interest when Brooks died. If the idea had caught on we might have a plane in every garage. The idea of a soccer mom with a cellphone in a plane makes my blood run cold.

So true! Most people can't navigate a traffic circle nor do they have any idea how to use a left turn lane. The use of a turn signal totally escapes them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/02/2015 08:11 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Thursday, July 2, 2015 at 8:52:08 PM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:
On 07/02/2015 03:24 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
I seem to recall a time when a lot of planes were lost during the development phase. Every little thing had to be worked on to get the bugs out. There was no computer modeling or simulation like what's available today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Flivver

Just as well Ford lost interest when Brooks died. If the idea had caught
on we might have a plane in every garage. The idea of a soccer mom with
a cellphone in a plane makes my blood run cold.

OMG! Texting while flying. Geez! 0_0

Texting while flying ???? How about farding while flying !!!

https://www.wordnik.com/words/farding

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/02/2015 09:11 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
OMG! Texting while flying. Geez! 0_0

I'm sure that happens now, but on a much more limited scale than if
every home had a plane in the pot. Or something. I messed around with
light planes back in the '80s. 97% of the time I could have done
crossword puzzles. The other 3% of the time I was trying to stuff a
panic attack back in the jar.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/03/2015 12:39 PM, T wrote:
Texting while flying ???? How about farding while flying !!!

https://www.wordnik.com/words/farding

When you're flying from Ft. Wayne to Kalamazoo you might as well do
something useful Watching the soybeans go by will put you to sleep.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/03/2015 01:31 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 07/02/2015 09:11 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
OMG! Texting while flying. Geez! 0_0

I'm sure that happens now, but on a much more limited scale than if
every home had a plane in the pot. Or something. I messed around with
light planes back in the '80s. 97% of the time I could have done
crossword puzzles. The other 3% of the time I was trying to stuff a
panic attack back in the jar.

I work for an airplane mechanic. His quote is "Air travel
in really quite safe, until you come in contact with the
ground."

He didn't get why I started laughing. He meant landing gear,
etc ..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/03/2015 01:33 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 07/03/2015 12:39 PM, T wrote:
Texting while flying ???? How about farding while flying !!!

https://www.wordnik.com/words/farding

When you're flying from Ft. Wayne to Kalamazoo you might as well do
something useful Watching the soybeans go by will put you to sleep.

I'd be too busy looking for fishing holes
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/03/2015 06:27 AM, Mayhem wrote:
So true! Most people can't navigate a traffic circle nor do they have
any idea how to use a left turn lane. The use of a turn signal totally
escapes them.

Too true. The city engineers are on a rotary kick and it does get
amusing. The larger ones aren't too bad but a couple are too small. You
can't tell if the vehicle in the quadrant across from you plans to turn
off or keep coming around. Even if they do use turn signals it's ambiguous.

Them there are the real little ones that tend to be a pile of crap in
the middle of a residential intersection. i watched a bedbugger (moving
van driver) turn onto a street with a couple of those. Being a moving
van he had to go where he had to go but those things don't bend in the
middle so the only way out is to run over the flowers, saplings, or
whatever else they stuck there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/03/2015 01:40 PM, rbowman wrote:
[...]

The round abouts we have, the truckers just drive right over
them. Apparently, the road engineers took that into account.
It does not seems to hurt the brick material.

Plus the dual tire tracks across the round about are funny.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/03/2015 04:31 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 07/02/2015 09:11 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
OMG! Texting while flying. Geez! 0_0

I'm sure that happens now, but on a much more limited scale than if every home had a plane in the pot. Or something. I messed around with light planes back in the '80s. 97% of the time I could have done crossword puzzles. The other 3% of the time I was trying to stuff a panic attack back in the jar.

Yes, most of the time, flying is boring.
But when you have a combination of low visibility, high crosswind, 10 minutes of fuel and a failing navigation system, a pilot's asshole can suddenly let loose.

I learned a long time ago I ain't Sully Sullenberger. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, July 3, 2015 at 1:39:32 PM UTC-5, T wrote:
On 07/02/2015 08:11 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Thursday, July 2, 2015 at 8:52:08 PM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:
On 07/02/2015 03:24 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
I seem to recall a time when a lot of planes were lost during the development phase. Every little thing had to be worked on to get the bugs out. There was no computer modeling or simulation like what's available today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Flivver

Just as well Ford lost interest when Brooks died. If the idea had caught
on we might have a plane in every garage. The idea of a soccer mom with
a cellphone in a plane makes my blood run cold.

OMG! Texting while flying. Geez! 0_0

Texting while flying ???? How about farding while flying !!!

https://www.wordnik.com/words/farding

Hell, it's almost as dangerous as me farting while driving or as a passenger. The toxic fumes cause severe coughing and the eyes to tear up. My terminal flatulence has been known to cause unconsciousness in areas with poor ventilation. That's why I'm on the no fly list or is it why I attract flies? o_O

[8~{} Uncle Odoriferous Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/03/2015 03:01 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

What? No crowded elevators?

:-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/03/2015 03:14 PM, T wrote:
The round abouts we have, the truckers just drive right over
them. Apparently, the road engineers took that into account.
It does not seems to hurt the brick material.

Plus the dual tire tracks across the round about are funny.

I've noticed the city has backed off on the decorative vegetation for
the smaller ones.

I got a laugh from one adhoc solution. There's one of those Telco
junction boxes at the entrance to the loading docks for a supermarket,
Harbor Freight, and other stores that I often walk by during lunch time.
I went by one day and it was bent to ****, with dualie tracks up and
over the curb and across the landscaping.

A couple of days later a very large landscaping rock appeared. They
never bothered to fix the box but if anyone tries to run over it again
they will get their revenge.

I drove over the road back in the '90s and you try not to run over stuff
but it happens. Even for brand new construction the approaches obviously
were designed by an architect to fit his Prius.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/03/2015 03:29 PM, John Doe wrote:
I learned a long time ago I ain't Sully Sullenberger.

Yeah, I gave it up when I realized I didn't have what it takes to deal
with an airborne emergency and went back to bikes. Statistically bikes
are a lot more dangerous but it's usually a quick death and not a 10,000
foot death spiral.

Besides that, there's the boredom. I learned on a Lark which was sort of
like driving a '66 Chevy Impala with wings. And sort of like the Chevy,
part of the final was pumping the brakes up...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, July 3, 2015 at 5:38:07 PM UTC-5, T wrote:
[...]

As a carrier of TF,"Terminal Flatulence", I'm now required by law to notify anyone who gets on an elevator or in any confined space with me, that I'm a carrier of TF. I must warn them of the dangers of being around me unless they have on protective gear or have been inoculated with the TF vaccine. I'm also required to avoid any building or transportation where the "NO TF" signs are displayed. The signs or window decals often have the letters "TF" inside a red circle with a red slash through it. On one occasion I was forced to walk through the streets of a large city because I couldn't find a cab that didn't have a NO TF decal on its windows. As I walked down a dark street, a band of thugs approached me. I warned them that I'm a carrier of TF and they should keep their distance because they were making me nervous. This caused the band of hooligans to laugh uproariously and accuse me of lying because I was scared. The group surrounded me and when one of them grabbed me, I let loose with a devastating foghorn blast of TF that overwhelmed my activated charcoal filled TF containment underpants with calamitous results. The next day, police dressed in protective NBC suits came to my home because I'm a registered TF carrier to ask me about an incident that happened the night before where a street gang was found scattered about a city sidewalk. The young men were near death and the storefronts around them had broken windows. The police were attracted to the scene because building and car alarms for two square blocks had been set off. I admitted that it was me and how sorry I was for the incident because the gangbangers had attacked me causing my instinctive response to danger which is to release an uncontrolled spurt of TF. I told the officers that I left the scene and didn't report the TF release as required because I was very frightened by what had happened and since I carry a Fart Cam, I was able to prove self defense so I wasn't charged with a crime.

Please support The TF Foundation, a group composed of wonderful people either afflicted with or immune to the ravages of TF. TFF members are dispersed throughout the world supporting medical and scientific research meant to understand, control and eventually eliminate the scourge of TF which clouds the minds of its many victims. TFF has helped take pressure off those who have the disease so they can relax and go about their lives without fear of harming people, their pets, livestock plus causing damage to paint, furniture, foliage, vehicles and other property. TF is a disease that can deflate the egos of its suffers, disrupt or destroy families and cause many marriages to end in divorce. You can help and show that you care by making your donation of $999.99 to The TF Foundation. Call 1-800-FART today. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Poot Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/03/2015 11:44 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

Ahhh. The privileges of old age!