Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - Porta-Jump

A 'booster-jumper' battery. Anybody know anything about this thing? Can it
possibly work as advertised?

http://www.porta-jump.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/14/10 12:12 pm, JawBone wrote:

A 'booster-jumper' battery. Anybody know anything about this thing? Can
it possibly work as advertised?

http://www.porta-jump.com/

I have my doubts about this thing. Yes, a 30-volt battery should be able
to put some charge back into your standard 12v batter. But it's being
connected to the cigarette-lighter socket, so the 30 volts is getting
applied to much of the vehicle's other electrical equipment as well; how
well will those other devices survive that excessive voltage?

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 14, 11:12*am, "JawBone" Chewintherag.com wrote:
A 'booster-jumper' battery. Anybody know anything about this thing? Can it
possibly work as advertised?

http://www.porta-jump.com/

I don't know if it would work or not, but I'll bet your money would be
better spent on a conventional booster pack.
Those have gotten expensive when I wasn't looking though, I think I
gave around $20 for the last one I bought.
http://www.amazon.com/Booster-ES5000.../dp/B000JFHNQA
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"JawBone" Chewintherag.com wrote:

A 'booster-jumper' battery. Anybody know anything about this thing? Can it
possibly work as advertised?

http://www.porta-jump.com/

An excerpt from their own FAQ:

Q. If my car battery is completely dead, or at a low level, will the PJ
work?
A. No.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Dec 14, 11:12*am, "JawBone" Chewintherag.com wrote:
A 'booster-jumper' battery. Anybody know anything about this thing? Can it
possibly work as advertised?

http://www.porta-jump.com/

Out on the left coast where it comes from, it may work the once or
twice you need it, but in the rest of the country where winter weather
is brutal on batteries, it is likely a hopeless toy. As always, the
laws of physics are unrelenting.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

JawBone wrote:
A 'booster-jumper' battery. Anybody know anything about this thing? Can
it possibly work as advertised?

http://www.porta-jump.com/

I'd rather opt for a set of good jumper cables and a charged up cell
phone to call a buddy with if no one else is nearby and willing to help.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 10:45:13 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
"JawBone" Chewintherag.com wrote:

A 'booster-jumper' battery. Anybody know anything about this thing? Can it
possibly work as advertised?

http://www.porta-jump.com/

An excerpt from their own FAQ:

Q. If my car battery is completely dead, or at a low level, will the PJ
work?
A. No.

I guess people don't wiggle the battery cable anymore.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 14, 11:12*am, "JawBone" Chewintherag.com wrote:
A 'booster-jumper' battery. Anybody know anything about this thing? Can it
possibly work as advertised?

http://www.porta-jump.com/

They say it wont work in real cold like a car battery- lead acid. Its
Alkaline, I did not know alkalines were rechargable, ive always read
to not recharge alkalines and that they cant get back to 100%. I
believe you cant get more that 60% back into it. 30v, might have a bad
effect on your electronics. I would not waste money on it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 14, 12:59*pm, Eric in North TX wrote:
On Dec 14, 11:12*am, "JawBone" Chewintherag.com wrote:

A 'booster-jumper' battery. Anybody know anything about this thing? Can it
possibly work as advertised?

http://www.porta-jump.com/

I don't know if it would work or not, but I'll bet your money would be
better spent on a conventional booster pack.
Those have gotten expensive when I wasn't looking though, I think I
gave around $20 for the last one I bought.http://www.amazon.com/Booster-ES5000.../dp/B000JFHNQA

From $49.99 to $99.99 depending on the features:

http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...ply-38391.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...ssor-8884.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...ack-96157.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

That's a fair price. I got one similar design, and similar price about
two years ago. Mine has been very successful.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Eric in North TX"
wrote in message

I don't know if it would work or not, but I'll bet your money would be
better spent on a conventional booster pack.
Those have gotten expensive when I wasn't looking though, I think I
gave around $20 for the last one I bought.
http://www.amazon.com/Booster-ES5000.../dp/B000JFHNQA

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Homeowners Hub site is not a help forum.
It's an *advertising* forum that invades real
forums (like "alt.home.repair", part of
"usenet") parasitically in order to generate
free advertising for itself, which continually
advances its search engine placement, thereby
increasing its own revenue through its click-
through advertising commissions.

So the first thing you should do is write them
an email and tell them to quit spamming.

Then try to find your way here through proper
channels. Please do a google search on "Usenet"
and post the regular way.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Sammy Slipsheet"
wrote in message
oups.com...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Looks a bit too small. I've got three jumper packs, of which two
actually do any good. The smaller one is 17 amp hour. Reminds me, I've
got to bring that in for charging.

I'm guessing the item sold here isn't all that great.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"JawBone" Chewintherag.com wrote in message
A 'booster-jumper' battery. Anybody know anything about this thing?
Can it
possibly work as advertised?

http://www.porta-jump.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/14/2010 1:45 PM, Smitty Two wrote:
In ,
"JawBone"Chewintherag.com wrote:

A 'booster-jumper' battery. Anybody know anything about this thing? Can it
possibly work as advertised?

http://www.porta-jump.com/

An excerpt from their own FAQ:

Q. If my car battery is completely dead, or at a low level, will the PJ
work?
A. No.

I have a larger portable battery jumper and it too will not work if the
battery is completely dead. And I mean DEAD! It's due to it's safety
feature of not working if hooked up backwards. It needs enough juice to
power a relay/solenoid (with a diode inline) that will then complete the
circuit from one battery to the other. I think mine has 7 cells instead
of 6 so it can attempt to charge the dead battery. I'm surprised at how
well it has worked over the past 5 years. Only once did I have a
completely dead battery that it couldn't jump.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 17, 7:21*pm, Tony Miklos wrote:
[...]

your far better off to buy a large battery charger with 200 amp
boost. I must of bought mine over 30 years ago family thought I was
nuts.

over the years its gotten tons of use......

one of my all time most useful purchases
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/17/2010 7:49 PM, wrote:
On Dec 17, 7:21 pm, Tony wrote:
[...]

I do have a large battery charger, forget how many amps the boost is,
but it's large. I saw it at a customers house near a trash pile. I
asked if he was throwing it out, yes, so I took it and fixed the
amperage control switch and it works like a charm. Still it's easier
and faster to grab the booster pack with no need for 50+ feet of
extension cord.

To keep it charged at home, the booster pack is plugged into a multi
outlet strip with other *dumb chargers*. Everything plugged into that
strip get's about 15 minutes of charge every day.

Porta-shop Richard[_2_] Woodworking 2 September 8th 07 06:47 PM
FA: Rockwell 4692 Porta Plane Randy A Woodworking 14 October 26th 05 11:44 PM
Porta-band stand in Dropbox Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 2 January 12th 05 12:49 AM
FA: Porta-Naler Model 402 Cincinnati Home Repair 0 December 20th 04 02:24 PM