Posted to alt.home.repair

Default how to preserve p v c pipe

I want to make an arch out of 3\4 p v c. It will stay outside for serveral years and be exposed to all of natures elements. What if anything can I treat it with to keep it from getting brittle and cracking? It will eventually be partialy covered with climbing vines. Thanks for any reply Herb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 13:38:01 -0700 (PDT), herb white
wrote:

I want to make an arch out of 3\4 p v c. It will stay outside for serveral years and be exposed to all of natures elements. What if anything can I treat it with to keep it from getting brittle and cracking? It will eventually be partialy covered with climbing vines. Thanks for any reply Herb

Paint it. That will protect the PVC from the UV light.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I want to make an arch out of 3\4 p v c. It will stay outside for serveral years and be exposed to all of natures elements. What if anything can I treat it with to keep it from getting brittle and cracking? It will eventually be partialy covered with climbing vines. Thanks for any reply Herb

paint.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/25/2015 4:38 PM, herb white wrote:
I want to make an arch out of 3\4 p v c. It will stay outside for serveral years and be exposed to all of natures elements. What if anything can I treat it with to keep it from getting brittle and cracking? It will eventually be partialy covered with climbing vines. Thanks for any reply Herb

I'd say that if you start out with UV-reistant pipe and fittings (PVC-UVR)
in the beginning you should be home free. If you can't find the proper
stuff locally, try for outdoor-rated PVC conduit which will certainly stand
up for decades and is much more easily identified as outdoor material by
its grey color. Paint whatever you choose with a plastic-rated spray to
achieve your desired color.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 17:28:15 -0400, micky
wrote:
years or more. As long as you are not trying to bend
it, you will be OK.

He said it was going to be an arch!

I hadn't thought about painting our pvc arch we installed in our
garden. We zip tied 1x2 inch cage wire overlapping the ends to our
pvc arch. I had wondered if that would be enough reinforcement to
strengthen the pvc. It's too late to paint the pvc now, though.

--
rebel