Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Use 2x4 or 2x6 for ceiling rafters

On Tuesday, December 9, 2003 at 7:09:54 AM UTC-8, William W. Plummer wrote:
"Zaf" wrote in message
m...
Dale Farmer wrote in message

AgaPSDIVER wrote:

I'm building a patio roof (16'wide x 10'deep). I'm using 2x6 (10') for
roof rafters. The ceiling, from ledger (attached to house) to beam is
7 feet.
I'm using 16'' spacing for my rafters.
I am trying to decide whether to use 2x4 or 2x6 (southern yellow pine)
for the ceiling rafters. I will be putting up a plywood (thin)
ceiling, and
may later want to put up a swinging chair made for two people.
Attaching the chair to the ceiling rafters with an eye bolt, would the
2x6 be overkill, or will the extra strength be a good safety factor?
Thanks...

Definitely go with the 2x6s. I would double the ones that you are
planning to hang the swing from. ( Two 2x6s nailed together ) What
happens when aunt Ethel ( 280 lbs) and uncle Harry ( 350 lbs) decide
they want to sit on the swing when they are visiting? ( Been there,
saw that, it was NOT a happy ceiling afterwards. )

--Dale

If this is your house, I would go 2x8 (or even 2x10) and
as Dale said double the one that might get a swing. Also block the
swing rafter in multiple places. Think about few extra dollars it
takes for the wood, and then thing what would happen to the cieling if
the rafter starts to flex.

What do national/state/local building codes call for?

I dunno but when I "repaired" (that is the way I drew the permit) my roof over the "patio" I could have driven a C60 Chev truck over it if built by what the inspector wanted. I did beef up what was there considerably and it was passed by the inspector but only because it was a "repair" permit.

Harry K