Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Use 2x4 or 2x6 for ceiling rafters

replying to AgaPSDIVER, Sid in Sacramento wrote:
AGApsdiver wrote:

I'm building a patio roof (16'wide x 10'deep). I'm using 2x6 (10') for
roof rafters. The ceiling, from ledger (attached to house) to beam is
7 feet.
I'm using 16'' spacing for my rafters.
I am trying to decide whether to use 2x4 or 2x6 (southern yellow pine)
for the ceiling rafters. I will be putting up a plywood (thin)
ceiling, and
may later want to put up a swinging chair made for two people.
Attaching the chair to the ceiling rafters with an eye bolt, would the
2x6 be overkill, or will the extra strength be a good safety factor?
Thanks...

I would use Simpson Strong Tie rafter supports to attach to the house. I
would use 2x6 doug fir for my rafters. I would make sure you use at least
one inch plus thick exterior grade plywood for your ceiling cover. Make
sure the ends away from the house are supported by a 2x12 header, then
supported by 4x4 supports , with a concrete footing . You then want to
protect from ' shear force' by using 2x6 offset blocking to keep the
ratters togeter. If you want to water proof the root material, you might
want to buy a five gallon bucket of mobile home sealant, roofing material,
and roll it on with a rough roller ? JMHO PS, make sure you slope it, the
greater the slope, the lesser the chance that it will leak

Posted to alt.home.repair

AGApsdiver wrote:

I'm building a patio roof (16'wide x 10'deep). I'm using 2x6 (10') for
roof rafters. The ceiling, from ledger (attached to house) to beam is
7 feet.
I'm using 16'' spacing for my rafters.
I am trying to decide whether to use 2x4 or 2x6 (southern yellow pine)
for the ceiling rafters. I will be putting up a plywood (thin)
ceiling, and
may later want to put up a swinging chair made for two people.
Attaching the chair to the ceiling rafters with an eye bolt, would the
2x6 be overkill, or will the extra strength be a good safety factor?
Thanks...

I would use Simpson Strong Tie rafter supports to attach to the house. I
would use 2x6 doug fir for my rafters. I would make sure you use at least
one inch plus thick exterior grade plywood for your ceiling cover.

LOL

Besides that the post is from 2003, at least 1"+ thick plywood for a
porch ceiling? Good grief

--

LOL Make it vertical and pass that slop bucket mate!
Posted to alt.home.repair

AGApsdiver wrote:

[...]

What, no cable tie downs to 4'x4' concrete anchors?

Harry K

rafters or traditional? JimK[_2_] UK diy 7 March 20th 10 03:21 PM
Ceiling rafters attached to header bmancanfly Home Repair 8 March 8th 09 09:25 AM
Drywall Ceiling parallel to Rafters? [email protected] Home Repair 4 January 3rd 07 05:29 PM
Curved Rafters Steve Woodworking 25 August 13th 05 03:50 AM
Rafters & binders. N. Thornton UK diy 0 January 13th 05 12:26 AM