Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default rafters or traditional?

scheming further on a new garage/shed complex under new PD rights -

say 15m long X 6m wide X 2.5m to eaves, dual pitched roof (4m ridge ),
block/brick built, stone slate (aka "greys") roof (probly Grays
Artstone or similar - (anyone know of their competitors?) or maybe
cheap indian sandstone?

So current ponder:- roof structure - manufactured rafters or old
school (beams, purlins rafters etc) ? Of course it will need BRegs -
are ther tables in the Approved Docs somewhere to give me an idea what
I am looking at???

I'm interested in opinions/ experiences/info about both but especially
the latter - it appeals so far! because there would be more storage
options, it would be DIYable, and for the site, a damn sight easier
than trusses to get it delivered....

Cheers
JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

doh!!!!!
subject should be "trusses or traditional?"
can someone plse change it for me I don't know how :)))

ta
JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"JimK" wrote in message
scheming further on a new garage/shed complex under new PD rights -

say 15m long X 6m wide X 2.5m to eaves, dual pitched roof (4m ridge ),
block/brick built, stone slate (aka "greys") roof (probly Grays
Artstone or similar - (anyone know of their competitors?) or maybe
cheap indian sandstone?

So current ponder:- roof structure - manufactured rafters or old
school (beams, purlins rafters etc) ? Of course it will need BRegs -
are ther tables in the Approved Docs somewhere to give me an idea what
I am looking at???

I'm interested in opinions/ experiences/info about both but especially
the latter - it appeals so far! because there would be more storage
options, it would be DIYable, and for the site, a damn sight easier
than trusses to get it delivered....

Well i recon the longest span under bending load is only about 3.5 m so its
not going to take much timber to just make a few triangles without anything
else to support the roof.
Someone with superbeam will be along to tell you how far a 6x2 will stretch
if you are lucky.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Proper Roof Construction

JimK wrote:
doh!!!!!
subject should be "trusses or traditional?"
can someone plse change it for me I don't know how :)))

I use OE and it is easy when "replying" to change the subject.

We have a double garage with trusses. It's a bain. I do manage to put
various items in the roof of significant dimensions but with difficulty. In
your position, I would only think one way - the proper job!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Trusses or traditional?

JimK wrote:
scheming further on a new garage/shed complex under new PD rights -

say 15m long X 6m wide X 2.5m to eaves, dual pitched roof (4m ridge ),
block/brick built, stone slate (aka "greys") roof (probly Grays
Artstone or similar - (anyone know of their competitors?) or maybe
cheap indian sandstone?

So current ponder:- roof structure - manufactured rafters or old
school (beams, purlins rafters etc) ? Of course it will need BRegs -
are ther tables in the Approved Docs somewhere to give me an idea what
I am looking at???

I'm interested in opinions/ experiences/info about both but especially
the latter - it appeals so far! because there would be more storage
options, it would be DIYable, and for the site, a damn sight easier
than trusses to get it delivered....

Cheers
JimK

Re-titled as requested

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JimK wrote:
scheming further on a new garage/shed complex under new PD rights -

say 15m long X 6m wide X 2.5m to eaves, dual pitched roof (4m ridge ),
block/brick built, stone slate (aka "greys") roof (probly Grays
Artstone or similar - (anyone know of their competitors?) or maybe
cheap indian sandstone?

So current ponder:- roof structure - manufactured rafters or old
school (beams, purlins rafters etc) ? Of course it will need BRegs -
are ther tables in the Approved Docs somewhere to give me an idea what
I am looking at???

I'm interested in opinions/ experiences/info about both but especially
the latter - it appeals so far! because there would be more storage
options, it would be DIYable, and for the site, a damn sight easier
than trusses to get it delivered....

If you are ,more worried about material cost than labour, actually
making a trad roof is very good, and it can be engineered to what you
want it for.

Premade trusses limit you to standrad spans and pitches, and are
designed to reduce material and especially labour costs to the minimum,
and are almost impossible to work inside to fit insulation tanks or storage.

Sketch up what you have in mind, get an architect or structural engineer
to write it up as a proper plan that is calculated to be to regs and
specs and build it!

Cheers
JimK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

"JimK" wrote in message
[...]

Dont need to. Had to go to 7x3 to span 6 meters here. That's on ceiling
joists. And herringboned largely.

Think the rafters even bigger., 8 x something.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 20, 12:24*pm, JimK wrote:
scheming further on a new garage/shed complex under new PD rights -

say 15m long X 6m wide X 2.5m to eaves, dual pitched roof (4m ridge ),
block/brick built, stone slate (aka "greys") roof (probly Grays
Artstone or similar - (anyone know of their competitors?) or maybe
cheap indian sandstone?

So current ponder:- roof structure - manufactured rafters or old
school (beams, purlins rafters etc) ? *Of course it will need BRegs -
are ther tables in the Approved Docs somewhere to give me an idea what
I am looking at???

I'm interested in opinions/ experiences/info about both but especially
the latter - it appeals so far! because there would be more storage
options, it would be DIYable, and for the site, a damn sight easier
than trusses to get it delivered....

Cheers
JimK

The loft will be pretty much unusable if you got with the matchstick
forest.

NT

Rafters, how strong Eigenvector Home Repair 3 May 29th 06 08:21 PM
Curved Rafters Steve Woodworking 25 August 13th 05 03:50 AM
Bees in the outside rafters Senin Home Repair 20 April 3rd 05 05:12 PM
Rafters & binders. N. Thornton UK diy 0 January 13th 05 12:26 AM
Rafters & binders. Ken UK diy 0 January 11th 05 09:49 PM