Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drywall Ceiling parallel to Rafters?

23'x10' ceiling on three-season porch with rafter's 16"OC.
Help me understand. Everything I read says that I should run the
sheets parallel to the joists for strength. I can do that by
minimizing butt joints using 4x12x1/2 sheets.
I can avoid butt joints all together by using 4x10x1/2 sheets parallel.
I have checked the nailing edges and they fall on rafters. What am I
giving up strength wise running parallel to rafters? What else
haven't I thought of yet? Thanks tom

Posted to alt.home.repair

If the framer was worth his pay, the joists should be 16" oc and the joints
should fall fine. I know that's wishful thinking in many cases, so when
you pick up your drywall, grab a few 2x4 as well and if you come across the
one joist that isn't at 16, screw a nailer on the side of the offending
joist and be on your way.

"dpb" wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote:
23'x10' ceiling on three-season porch with rafter's 16"OC.
Help me understand. Everything I read says that I should run the
sheets parallel to the joists for strength. I can do that by
minimizing butt joints using 4x12x1/2 sheets.
I can avoid butt joints all together by using 4x10x1/2 sheets parallel.
I have checked the nailing edges and they fall on rafters. What am I
giving up strength wise running parallel to rafters? What else
haven't I thought of yet? Thanks tom

Don't have a real number, but w/ 16" O/C, I'd not worry w/ 1/2" or
thicker. I'd go the parallel direction w/ those dimensions for the
elimination of the butt joints and it eliminates the other length-wise
seam if use 4x12 the other way. If I do the seam-counting right in my
head I get you would have 46-ft edge and 14-ft butts (assuming stagger
sheets to not have a full-width butt joint) or 50-ft of edge seams the
other way w/ the 4x10's.

The only other thing I'd check is how close the tolerances are on the
rafter spacings as if they're just 2x material you only have 3/4" when
you split them so there's not a lot of slop for the joints. It also
will take getting the first sheet lined up pretty carefully so it stays
online going forward as you've got a total of five seams to make work.

Hanging drywall Ceiling [email protected] Home Repair 2 December 27th 06 02:19 AM
Ceiling drywall thickness - how to tell? All Thumbs Home Repair 14 November 1st 05 01:08 AM
Green Drywall on Ceiling mike Home Repair 5 March 10th 05 06:36 PM
ceiling drywall Oh_Jeeze Home Repair 6 December 30th 04 08:22 PM
Deflecting Drywall Ceiling Michael Roback Home Repair 2 April 7th 04 11:47 AM