Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Moffat/GE wash machine brown stuff

HI,

Recently brown stuff almost molasses like has flowed out from where the agitator meets the tub. It splays out while spinning making marks on the basin like spokes on a wheel and stains any items that are washed.

Any ideas as to what this is? I first thought it might be dirt/residue buildup so I cleaned with vinegar twice and twice with bleach. The "stuff" keeps appearing ... maybe a little less.

The only other guess I have is grease is leaking out from the transmission and working up to the agitator/basin. Would this be darker brown?

Appreciate any insight.

Rob