Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Window AC unit

I am thinking about getting an 8000 btu window unit.

How reliable are they ?

Would they last at least 5 years ?

Any brands you would recommend ?

Thanks,
Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/21/2015 11:45 AM, Andy wrote:
I am thinking about getting an 8000 btu window unit.

How reliable are they ?

Would they last at least 5 years ?

Any brands you would recommend ?

Thanks,
Andy

You should easily get 5 years. I've had window units last 15+, but I
don't know if they are still made as well.

Some brands still offer a 5 year guarantee on the sealed system so I'd
look for that. Many of the brands are identical. When Frigidaire took
over the old Emerson plant in NJ I used to go there a couple of times a
season. The same unit went down the assembly line, but the front cover
would change making it one of a half dozen brands. Now they are made in
China.

I assume you did a little checking and the 8k is appropriate for what
you want to cool. No benefit to too large a unit as it will not
dehumidify properly. Too small won't cool.

AC sure makes sleeping a lot better. Great invention.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, June 21, 2015 at 10:59:34 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

AC sure makes sleeping a lot better. Great invention.

No truer words have ever been spoken. When I was a
kid all we had was a window fan that was run at night
only. I don't know how we ever got to sleep but we
did. Can't live without air conditioning now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes I have done researçh.

Thinking about getting for my apartment.

It has a chiller and they will not fix it, or they want to limit the temp.

I have seen three other apts with window units.

I would guess that the electrical usage of those apts exceeds other apts without window a.c.s :-)

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Jun 2015 10:48:59 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann
wrote:

On Sunday, June 21, 2015 at 10:59:34 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

AC sure makes sleeping a lot better. Great invention.

No truer words have ever been spoken. When I was a
kid all we had was a window fan that was run at night
only. I don't know how we ever got to sleep but we
did. Can't live without air conditioning now.

You must be younger. We waited for the rain on a tin roof to put us
to sleep. Even before ceilings.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sunday, June 21, 2015 at 10:59:34 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

AC sure makes sleeping a lot better. Great invention.

No truer words have ever been spoken. When I was a
kid all we had was a window fan that was run at night
only. I don't know how we ever got to sleep but we
did. Can't live without air conditioning now.

You must be younger. We waited for the rain on a tin roof to put us
to sleep. Even before ceilings.

Probably.

He should try sleeping in a tent on a summer day in Texas. :-)

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, June 21, 2015 at 2:57:53 PM UTC-4, Andy wrote:
Yes I have done researçh.

Thinking about getting for my apartment.

It has a chiller and they will not fix it, or they want to limit the temp..

I have seen three other apts with window units.

I would guess that the electrical usage of those apts exceeds other apts without window a.c.s :-)

Andy

If they won't fix the AC, I hope they are going to give you
a rent reduction. Who pays for the electricity if you put in
an AC? Many landlords charge extra if electric is included.
And if you have to pay for it, sounds like you're paying for
an AC unit and the electricity, when AC is supposed to be
provided by the landlord?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On 6/21/2015 11:45 AM, Andy wrote:
I am thinking about getting an 8000 btu window unit.

How reliable are they ?

Would they last at least 5 years ?

Any brands you would recommend ?

I have a Frigidaire 8,000 BTU unit that is 10 years old that I bought
from Lowes. Still runs great.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

When I was a
kid all we had was a window fan that was run at night
only. I don't know how we ever got to sleep but we
did. Can't live without air conditioning now.

You must be younger. We waited for the rain on a tin roof to put us
to sleep. Even before ceilings.

My grandparents had a tin roof but we had regular ceilings
and asphalt roof. When the house was built around the
turn of the century it probably did have a tin roof.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron wrote:
On 6/21/2015 11:45 AM, Andy wrote:
I am thinking about getting an 8000 btu window unit.

How reliable are they ?

Would they last at least 5 years ?

Any brands you would recommend ?

I have a Frigidaire 8,000 BTU unit that is 10 years old that I bought
from Lowes. Still runs great.

I have a Kenmore that was used when I got it 15 years ago that still works
just fine .
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, June 21, 2015 at 2:25:35 PM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, June 21, 2015 at 2:57:53 PM UTC-4, Andy wrote:
Yes I have done researçh.

Thinking about getting for my apartment.

It has a chiller and they will not fix it, or they want to limit the temp.

I have seen three other apts with window units.

I would guess that the electrical usage of those apts exceeds other apts without window a.c.s :-)

Andy

If they won't fix the AC, I hope they are going to give you
a rent reduction. Who pays for the electricity if you put in
an AC? Many landlords charge extra if electric is included.
And if you have to pay for it, sounds like you're paying for
an AC unit and the electricity, when AC is supposed to be
provided by the landlord?

It is all bills paid. So they pay for electricity.

$150 of my rent goes to electricity.

I know that a 1 bedroom does not use that much on average.

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy wrote:
I am thinking about getting an 8000 btu window unit.

How reliable are they ?

Would they last at least 5 years ?

Any brands you would recommend ?

Thanks,
Andy

I never had problems with window units. Used 5k to 23k btu. I would read
reviews on noise level. I tried to use one in bedroom, had to put chair
between to reduce noise level. Had good luck with used units. I see them
for sale cheap all the time. I like remote controlled digital readout.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 22, 2015 at 12:12:28 AM UTC-5, Gz wrote:
Andy wrote:
I am thinking about getting an 8000 btu window unit.

How reliable are they ?

Would they last at least 5 years ?

Any brands you would recommend ?

Thanks,
Andy

I never had problems with window units. Used 5k to 23k btu. I would read
reviews on noise level. I tried to use one in bedroom, had to put chair
between to reduce noise level. Had good luck with used units. I see them
for sale cheap all the time. I like remote controlled digital readout.

Greg

Thanks for all the good info. ;-)

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, June 21, 2015 at 8:09:43 PM UTC-4, Andy wrote:
[...]

I hope you're getting a great deal on the rest of the rent.
$150 is my electric bill for a large 3 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath house.
Unless you have electric heat or an unusually high cost for
electric, $150 is nuts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/21/2015 8:09 PM, Andy wrote:
[...]

Sounds like a real ripoff for the electricity, especially since they don't
provide working AC. My 2350sf house has never had an electric bill higher
than $178 in the depth of the hottest most humid summer (and I live in the
mid-south where we do have heat and humidity). I cringe when my combined
utilities hit $250 for electric, gas, water and waste for any given month.

But back to window AC units, I had a 10,000BTU Hampton Bay (which is the
house brand for Home Depot) which I finally removed a few days ago. It was
pretty cheap and lasted at least 13 years in my woodworking shop where it
routinely clogged with dust and literally had to be hosed out to clean the
evaporator fins. Not a bad ROI. I've ordered an equivalent LG unit but it
hasn't been delivered yet so I can't opine on its relative merits.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Let me put it to you these way, I can not tell you what to purchase but what
"NOT" to purchase
and that is Federich two Tons you lucky if you get two years out of.

"Andy" wrote in message

I am thinking about getting an 8000 btu window unit.

How reliable are they ?

Would they last at least 5 years ?

Any brands you would recommend ?

Thanks,
Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote:
[...]

This house I live in averages about $80 a month. The last house I lived in
was considerably more. I have fairly efficient hvac small 2bedroom house.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 22, 2015 at 10:42:36 PM UTC-5, Gz wrote:
trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Thanks for all the responses.

Andy

Window mounted A/C unit don Home Repair 12 July 17th 12 09:47 PM
window mounted a/c unit cj Home Repair 12 June 16th 11 02:17 PM
A/C Window unit 10K MikeL Home Repair 17 July 31st 07 05:02 AM
A/c window unit storage Chas12 Home Repair 7 December 30th 05 04:51 PM
Central Air v. Window-unit Air? Nehmo Home Ownership 143 August 20th 05 08:33 AM