Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Screw Head (triangular) Question ?

Hi,

Trying to repair a kids plastic toy.
Like most, it is held together by really small tapered screws.
Screws have a pointed tip.

But these are a bit different.

Most of the toys I've worked on, (my Grandson is not the most gentle)
have screw heads for the screws like this that have a small indent for a
Phillips head screwdriver. Usually one of the Jewelers types that comes
in those kits. Pretty small; maybe a mm or two.

But, easy to find a Phillips from these kits that works.

These seem to be different.

They appear to have a triangular indentation in the head.
Obviously not for a Phillips.

Anyone ever run across any like this with a "triangular" indent in the
head ?
Do they sell small screwdrivers for these ?
What are they called ?

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, June 21, 2015 at 9:01:27 AM UTC-4, Bob wrote:
[...]

IDK what they are called, but I've seen them. I have a
"security bit set" from Harbor Freight that I'm pretty sure
includes that. It also has a lot of other common bits for
screws designed to keep you out. Like most HF stuff, it's
cheap, think it was under $10 for the whole set. Might
find similar on Ebay too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, June 21, 2015 at 8:01:27 AM UTC-5, Bob wrote:

Anyone ever run across any like this with a "triangular" indent in the
head ?
Do they sell small screwdrivers for these ?
What are they called ?

Thanks,
Bob

This is what I have ($5 at a local import/salvage store). It doesn't show the type your looking for? (the larger set doesn't have it either)

http://www.amazon.com/Enkay-3033-33-...curity+bit+ser
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, June 21, 2015 at 8:01:27 AM UTC-5, Bob wrote:

What are they called ?

Thanks,
Bob

http://i.stack.imgur.com/uucKM.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, June 21, 2015 at 9:28:21 AM UTC-4, bob_villa wrote:
On Sunday, June 21, 2015 at 8:01:27 AM UTC-5, Bob wrote:

Anyone ever run across any like this with a "triangular" indent in the
head ?
Do they sell small screwdrivers for these ?
What are they called ?

Thanks,
Bob

This is what I have ($5 at a local import/salvage store). It doesn't show the type your looking for? (the larger set doesn't have it either)

http://www.amazon.com/Enkay-3033-33-...curity+bit+ser

That's swell, except there is no triangular bit. Good grief.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, June 21, 2015 at 9:00:11 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, June 21, 2015 at 9:28:21 AM UTC-4, bob_villa wrote:
On Sunday, June 21, 2015 at 8:01:27 AM UTC-5, Bob wrote:

Anyone ever run across any like this with a "triangular" indent in the
head ?
Do they sell small screwdrivers for these ?
What are they called ?

Thanks,
Bob

This is what I have ($5 at a local import/salvage store). It doesn't show the type your looking for? (the larger set doesn't have it either)

http://www.amazon.com/Enkay-3033-33-...curity+bit+ser

That's swell, except there is no triangular bit. Good grief.

That's what I said...it isn't readily available. But thanks anyway Charlie Brown!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Trying to repair a kids plastic toy.
Like most, it is held together by really small tapered screws.
Screws have a pointed tip.

But these are a bit different.

Most of the toys I've worked on, (my Grandson is not the most gentle)
have screw heads for the screws like this that have a small indent for a
Phillips head screwdriver. Usually one of the Jewelers types that comes
in those kits. Pretty small; maybe a mm or two.

But, easy to find a Phillips from these kits that works.

These seem to be different.

They appear to have a triangular indentation in the head.
Obviously not for a Phillips.

Anyone ever run across any like this with a "triangular" indent in the
head ?
Do they sell small screwdrivers for these ?
What are they called ?

I did a search for screwdriver bits at Mcmaster.com and a little chart showed up: http://www.mcmaster.com/#screwdriver...t-bits/=xpy0a8

John Grabowski
Http://www.MrElectrician.TV
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, June 21, 2015 at 9:10:11 AM UTC-5, bob_villa wrote:
On Sunday, June 21, 2015 at 9:00:11 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, June 21, 2015 at 9:28:21 AM UTC-4, bob_villa wrote:
On Sunday, June 21, 2015 at 8:01:27 AM UTC-5, Bob wrote:

Anyone ever run across any like this with a "triangular" indent in the
head ?
Do they sell small screwdrivers for these ?
What are they called ?

Thanks,
Bob

This is what I have ($5 at a local import/salvage store). It doesn't show the type your looking for? (the larger set doesn't have it either)

http://www.amazon.com/Enkay-3033-33-...curity+bit+ser

That's swell, except there is no triangular bit. Good grief.

That's what I said...it isn't readily available. But thanks anyway Charlie Brown!

I have a few of those bits in my collection but I don't think it's meant to be a security screw. It could be that the screws are easier for automated equipment to handle. I can imagine an assembly line where people, not necessarily robots, are assembling the toys and using a screwdriver that has an automatic feed for screws. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Screwy Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Jun 2015 07:18:26 -0700 (PDT), John G
wrote:

I did a search for screwdriver bits at Mcmaster.com and a little chart showed up: http://www.mcmaster.com/#screwdriver...t-bits/=xpy0a8

TA DA

Triangular bit:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#screwdriver-insert-bits/=xpy541
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I did a search for screwdriver bits at Mcmaster.com and a little chart showed up: http://www.mcmaster.com/#screwdriver...t-bits/=xpy0a8

TA DA

Triangular bit:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#screwdriver-insert-bits/=xpy541

I found some more information and it is a type of tamper resistant screw. I never let tamper resistant screws stop me. ^_^

TA[edit]
Screw Head - TA.svg
The TA is a type of screw drive that uses a triangle-shaped recess in the screw head. Note that the sides of the triangle are straight, which differs from TP3 fasteners. Sizes include TA14, TA18, TA20, TA23, and TA27. These screws are often found in children's toys, particularly from fast food restaurants. They can also be found in devices such as vacuum cleaners, fan heaters, elevators and camping stoves, Breville kettles, among others, to help restrict access to the device internals.
TP3[edit]

Screw Head - TP3.svg
TP3 (sometimes referred to as tri-lobe) is a type of screw drive that uses a Reuleaux Triangle-shaped recess in the screw head.[42] It is used on fast food promotional toys and video games, die-cast toys and Roomba battery packs. There are four sizes: A = 2 mm, 2.3 mm, 2.7 mm, and 3.2 mm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives#TA

[8~{} Uncle Screwball Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Signed: Uncle Google Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:
[...]

Triangle screw driver, of course you can buy them. Diffferent sizes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default From OP: Screw Head (triangular) Question ?

Hi Folks,

Thanks so much for All the help.
Much appreciated.

Looks like I have a TP3 type.

Sure have learned a lot.

Regards,
Bob

On 6/21/2015 9:01 AM, Bob wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Jun 2015 07:54:04 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

I never let tamper resistant screws stop me. ^_^

You've never been to prison :-\
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Jun 2015 06:12:10 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

[...]

Best to get the molybdenum-titanium-strontium alloy bits, Some of those
children's toys can be pretty tough.

But I haven't seen triangular yet, and i have a set much bigger than the
red rubber set BV posted.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/21/2015 11:36 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Bob wrote:
[...]

http://www.amazon.com/Silverhill-Too.../dp/B004IUEHYS

http://www.amazon.com/Silverhill-Too.../dp/B001F3FUBK

http://www.amazon.com/4-Piece-Precis...GQP0J2BX9E SA

http://www.amazon.com/Antislip-Handl...GQP0J2BX9E SA

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I never let tamper resistant screws stop me. ^_^

You've never been to prison :-\

Heh Oren, speaking of prisons, what's up with the breakout
at Clinton in NY? From the most complete description I've read
it was very similar to the escape from Alcatraz, but way more
difficult. They cut through 1/4" thick steel at the back of
each guy's cell. Then they got out onto the catwalks and areas
behind the cells where plumbings, heat, etc runs. From there
they figured out that a large diameter steam pipe went a couple
blocks to the steam plant. So, they had to wait until heat was
turned off for the season, then they cut an opening in it,
crawled 400 ft, cut another hole in it and went to the street
via a manhole.

While the process is similar to Alcatraz, what they did is way
beyond. Alcatraz there already was a vent hole in the cement cell
wall with a grill and the concrete was crumbling. So, they managed
to enlarge it, with crude homemade tools, get the grill out, etc.
Then from the catwalks they just had a locked access door to the
roof to deal with.

But this thing must have taken months. How do you cut a big hole
in a steam pipe? You'd need a drill and at least a hacksaw. They
also don't know how they knew to go 400 ft down the pipe and that
there would be an exit point, manhole, etc. They think they may
have had help from outside, someone working the other way going in.
Whatever they did, it was clearly very clever. And given all the
time you'd think it had to take, must be very sloppy security that
it was not detected.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Correct. Officers get complacent on the job, some suffer burnout
several times during their careers.

Worked in 8 prisons. no escapes on my shifts.

Near Dannamora is FCI Raybrook - NY. This newly reporting sighting of
the crooks on R&R tracks reminded me.

Two guys escaped from Raybrook, followed the train tracks. Happened
upon a store and could not speak "good English". Store called the
cops. Book 'em Danno.
--
'...we don't wanna bring our guns, but ready if it goes there -- Madison Rising
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/21/2015 07:01 AM, Bob wrote:
They appear to have a triangular indentation in the head.
Obviously not for a Phillips.

Anyone ever run across any like this with a "triangular" indent in the
head ?
Do they sell small screwdrivers for these ?
What are they called ?

Tri-Wings, TA, or TP3, depending. For a one off an allen wrench and a
Dremel ought to get you close. Or, if you have a Torx set, try stuffing
the tightest one in. Or filing down a sacrificial flat screwdriver until
it's close might get it.

Like the Maker crowd says 'If you can't take it apart you don't own it.'
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

For the hell of it, I just looked at a map. A couple days ago
two guys were spotted by people and cameras at Gangs Mills and
Lindley NY, which are near Corning and the PA border. There
is a railroad running from there, northwest and it goes to
Friendship, maybe 35 miles away, which is where a woman saw two
men come out of the woods today, one ran back in, other pulled his
shirt over his head. Sounds like they may finally be closing in....
Would be smarter for the two to have split up, so that it's not an
obvious two.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Jun 2015 12:38:07 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

'If you can't take it apart you don't own it.'

POTUS says you didn't build that. Centralized government is his
answer.

.... centralized government is a known failure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

western penn, in pA prison had a escape like new york did some years ago,''

they hired the inmates for construction with access to the prison blueprints.
conveniently for the inmates they were permitted to wear street clothes on sunday. and access to poweer tools.

so a group of 7 or 8 got out of western penn thru a tunnel to a unguarded and unmanned prison support building.

the escapees got all the way to texas and were gone for 2 or 3 months.

now technology could end such escapees.

require the prisoners to stand in front of a camera, and push the buttons that light up. this would largely end the need for guards to do head counts.

if a prisoner is a trouble maker make he or she do the button pushing more often. rather than every 6 or 8 hours, make it every hour so they never get a good nites sleep.

put motion detectors in areas no one should have access to.

a buddy of mine worked for the commercial company that maintains prison heating systems.

he needed to do some maintence and the only access to the area was thru a cell block. they offered to leave the acess door open so he could get out when done. john didnt want a prisoner attacking him while he worked so the warden said how long will it take? staff will come and let you out at 3pm

no one showed so john overrode the heating systems controls, the wardens office was over 90 degress when they rembered and let him out
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

If these two got out of the Adirondack Mountains. they are really on
the run. In thirty years we may find the bears ate them. Find downed
planes can only be discovered by happenstance.

Somebody is going to jail in this incident.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/26/NortheastAppalachiansMap.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I mostly use DuckDuckGo and rarely use Google anymore. ^_^

https://duckduckgo.com/

Uncle Quack Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Sorry Bob. You could not work on my shift.

Counting a live, breathing person and seeing skin prevent escapes.

The Administration of this prison at Dannamora are incompetent.

I'd fire 30% of mangers for being stupid. Who does no count between 10
PM and 6 AM at a max facility like Dannamora? Did officers do a paper
count and lie?!

I'm a Penologist

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I never let tamper resistant screws stop me. ^_^

You've never been to prison :-\

Not yet. Heck, I haven't even visited one. I can defeat tamper resistant Torx screws with my automatic center punch by popping it in the screw head thus breaking off the little projection in the center then using a standard Torx bit to remove the screw. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Tamper Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I have an appointment with a urologist. True statement but I couldn't help myself. ^_^

[9~{} Uncle Penile Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I never let tamper resistant screws stop me. ^_^

You've never been to prison :-\

Not yet. Heck, I haven't even visited one. I can defeat tamper resistant Torx screws with my automatic center punch by popping it in the screw head thus breaking off the little projection in the center then using a standard Torx bit to remove the screw. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Tamper Monster

Deal with this Shear snap-off button head bolts are a premium 1-way
permanent security solution ideal where maintenance is not required.

http://www.fastenright.com/shear-bolts-button-head

"...Used mainly in areas such as:

Prisons
Banks
Automotive
Ministry of defence & aerospace
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote in message
But, easy to find a Phillips from these kits that works.

These seem to be different.

They appear to have a triangular indentation in the head.
Obviously not for a Phillips.

Anyone ever run across any like this with a "triangular" indent in the
head ?
Do they sell small screwdrivers for these ?
What are they called ?

Don't know what they are called, but a while back I ordered a kit that had
20 or 30 bits in it from Amazon or off ebay from China that had a few
screwdriver bits that sound like those. Looks similar to a Phillips except
3 things instead of 4. I don't think I payed more than about 10$ or less
for the kit of small screwdrivers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I never let tamper resistant screws stop me. ^_^

You've never been to prison :-\

Not yet. Heck, I haven't even visited one. I can defeat tamper resistant Torx screws with my automatic center punch by popping it in the screw head thus breaking off the little projection in the center then using a standard Torx bit to remove the screw. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Tamper Monster

Deal with this Shear snap-off button head bolts are a premium 1-way
permanent security solution ideal where maintenance is not required.

http://www.fastenright.com/shear-bolts-button-head

"...Used mainly in areas such as:

Prisons
Banks
Automotive
Ministry of defence & aerospace

I've actually used them before. I first saw a shear bolt used by bridge builders on a TV documentary. The bolts were designed to have the head shear off when the proper torque was reached. They were some big bolts and the build went faster because no torque wrench was needed. I saw another cool screw on the site you posted. ^_^

http://www.fastenright.com/tricone-security-bolt

[8~{} Uncle Screwy Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Jun 2015 09:01:23 -0400, Bob wrote:

[...]

Haven't got a clue what the official name of the screws is, but I've
heard then called many names that can't be printed in a public
forum!!!! The screwdrivers ARE fairly widely available and are
included in the "electronic repair" screwdriver kit I have. They are
common on Cheap Chinese Crap toys and technologic crap - like Asus
notepads etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Jun 2015 16:42:31 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"Bob" wrote in message
But, easy to find a Phillips from these kits that works.

These seem to be different.

They appear to have a triangular indentation in the head.
Obviously not for a Phillips.

Anyone ever run across any like this with a "triangular" indent in the
head ?
Do they sell small screwdrivers for these ?
What are they called ?

Don't know what they are called, but a while back I ordered a kit that had
20 or 30 bits in it from Amazon or off ebay from China that had a few
screwdriver bits that sound like those. Looks similar to a Phillips except
3 things instead of 4. I don't think I payed more than about 10$ or less
for the kit of small screwdrivers.

There are the Y heads, and the TRIANGULAR head - like a 3 lobed
philips, and a 3 cornered robertson.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default prison Question ?

On 6/21/2015 4:14 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Sunday, June 21, 2015 at 2:58:22 PM UTC-5, Oren wrote:

Counting a live, breathing person and seeing skin prevent escapes.

The Administration of this prison at Dannamora are incompetent.

I'd fire 30% of mangers for being stupid. Who does no count between 10
PM and 6 AM at a max facility like Dannamora? Did officers do a paper
count and lie?!

I'm a Penologist

I have an appointment with a urologist. True statement but I couldn't help myself. ^_^

[9~{} Uncle Penile Monster

We sure are fortunate to have different "*ologist"
available. I wanted a phrenologist, but was told
I had a hole in my head.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/21/2015 4:23 PM, Oren wrote:
Deal with this Shear snap-off button head bolts are a premium 1-way
permanent security solution ideal where maintenance is not required.

http://www.fastenright.com/shear-bolts-button-head

"...Used mainly in areas such as:

Prisons
Banks
Automotive
Ministry of defence & aerospace

Also used on automotive steering columns on some
vehicles. Real PIA to remove. But possible; I've
done more than a couple.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sorry Bob. You could not work on my shift.

Counting a live, breathing person and seeing skin prevent escapes.

The Administration of this prison at Dannamora are incompetent.

I'd fire 30% of mangers for being stupid. Who does no count between 10
PM and 6 AM at a max facility like Dannamora? Did officers do a paper
count and lie?!

I'm a Penologist

obviously it failed ...... Counting a live, breathing person and seeing skin prevent escapes.

moving to a high tech check in system could save some $ guarding the prisoners. and provide a closer observation and security.

going all the way back to alcatraz making a dummy, with hair from the barber shop, clothes rolled up to look like a person....

and head counts every hour could be a great way to penalize miss behaving prisoners

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

wrote:

I never let tamper resistant screws stop me. ^_^

You've never been to prison :-\

Ask Sweat & Maff

--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 Jun 2015 01:08:18 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

The biggest problem I can think of is spending tax dollars to imprison nonviolent people because of silly laws.

Two young males were doing silly federal time.

1) Harassing a bear

2) Stealing government fish

I had to go read their files to ensure they weren't lying
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The biggest problem I can think of is spending tax dollars to imprison nonviolent people because of silly laws.

Two young males were doing silly federal time.

1) Harassing a bear

2) Stealing government fish

I had to go read their files to ensure they weren't lying

If I were ever to serve on a jury in federal court, I would be making the other jurors aware of jury nullification and the duty of a jury to protect their fellow citizens from stupid laws. Of course, the judge would hear about it and there would be some obscure federal law that I would be charged with which carries the death penalty. When I was in business, I received a jury notice in the mail and at the time serving on a jury would destroy my business. I called the clerk and told her that if I was forced to serve on a jury, I would vote not guilty no matter what. I've never received another notice but it wouldn't be a problem for me to serve jury duty if I could walk. Now that I'm not working and have all the time in the world, I can't friggin do it. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Jury Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/24/2015 08:44 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
If I were ever to serve on a jury in federal court, I would be making the other jurors aware of jury nullification and the duty of a jury to protect their fellow citizens from stupid laws. Of course, the judge would hear about it and there would be some obscure federal law that I would be charged with which carries the death penalty. When I was in business, I received a jury notice in the mail and at the time serving on a jury would destroy my business. I called the clerk and told her that if I was forced to serve on a jury, I would vote not guilty no matter what. I've never received another notice but it wouldn't be a problem for me to serve jury duty if I could walk. Now that I'm not working and have all the time in the world, I can't friggin do it. o_O

About 25 years ago I got a questionaire for prospective jurors and
indicated I was aware of jury nullification. They must have lost it
because I got called a couple of years ago.

About half an hour into the trial, which was a domestic abuse thing, it
became clear the plaintiff was the one who woke the defendant up and
slapped him across the face, drawing blood. The judge called the
prosecutor into his chambers, chewed his ass for a while, came out,
dismissed the case and apologized to the jurors for wasting their time.

It gave me a lot of faith in the legal system from the cops who arrested
the guy to the prosecutor who went to trial without a clue that his star
witness was going to turn into a frog on the stand. I don't watch
courtroom dramas but about the third sentence out of her mouth I knew it
was going off the rails. I think it took the prosecutor a little longer
to catch on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, June 24, 2015 at 10:58:46 PM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:
[...]

There are horrible nasty guys in this world who abuse women and the *******s should burn but from what I've seen first hand, is that most of the women are lying about being mistreated. All the hysterical rape accusations in the news lately have turned out to be absolute lies. I would like a false accusation of rape be punished with the same prison time as that given to an actual rapist. Perhaps that would put a stop to women and girls pulling that crap when they get mad at some fellow and try to hurt him in the worst way. Men are on strike and not getting married anymore for a number of reasons including the way they get screwed(no pun) by the courts in a divorce. You should look at what's on the web concerning MGTOW, Men Going Their Own Way which is a consequence of feminism. It seems that American women have turned out to be too much trouble for men to have any desire to marry one. o_O

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Men_Going_Their_Own_Way

Search "MGTOW" on YouTube and be amazed. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle MGTOW Monster

Best screw head that won't strip Michael[_24_] Woodworking 110 January 7th 18 04:39 AM
Strange screw head petek[_2_] UK diy 20 October 8th 14 10:20 PM
Stripped hex screw head Remi Home Repair 13 January 6th 07 12:38 AM
New screw head type Greg D. Woodworking 31 November 15th 06 12:12 PM
Triangular screw driver bit? Sianu UK diy 3 August 19th 03 07:58 AM