Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lucky me!

115 today. Wonder how effective the swamp/evaporative cooler
will be? I have a slight concern.

I just love summers in SW AZ and monsoon seasons.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 18 Jun 2015 16:46:55 GMT, KenK wrote:

115 today. Wonder how effective the swamp/evaporative cooler
will be? I have a slight concern.

I just love summers in SW AZ and monsoon seasons.

What is the humidity? Swamp coolers are pretty much useless at about
40 - 45% humidity.

We are in the mid triple digits this week and summer hasn't even
arrived yet... :-\
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in news:4mt5oadfh915hcrcifs69i5cd4b6klmf1p@
4ax.com:

On 18 Jun 2015 16:46:55 GMT, KenK wrote:

115 today. Wonder how effective the swamp/evaporative cooler
will be? I have a slight concern.

I just love summers in SW AZ and monsoon seasons.

What is the humidity?

20% - thank goodness.

Swamp coolers are pretty much useless at about
40 - 45% humidity.

Yes, I know. I've had one for ~30 years. Actually, if it's only 105 or less
it will work at a bit highers %s. At least for me - reasonable heat doesn't
bother me that much/ I was raised in Chicago summers when the only A/Cs
were in movie theaters.

We are in the mid triple digits this week and summer hasn't even
arrived yet... :-\

We've been there for a week or two.

Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:
115 today. Wonder how effective the swamp/evaporative cooler
will be? I have a slight concern.

I just love summers in SW AZ and monsoon seasons.

Hot and dry, not too hard in the shade. Used to go down to PHX
in my working days often taking whole family for a few months.
I wokred for Honeywell(only career I had after mil. service), so used to
go down there. Likewise it is cold and dry in winter up here, not
too bad.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/18/2015 11:46 AM, KenK wrote:
115 today. Wonder how effective the swamp/evaporative cooler
will be? I have a slight concern.

I just love summers in SW AZ and monsoon seasons.

Main reason my wife will never talk me into moving to AZ

here in Wis. it's presently 64

for me that's perfect

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 09:54:33 -0700, Oren wrote:

On 18 Jun 2015 16:46:55 GMT, KenK wrote:

115 today. Wonder how effective the swamp/evaporative cooler
will be? I have a slight concern.

In my experience when the humidity is low swamp coolers give up to a
30 degree drop. My AC neighbors keep their thermostat near 80 to save
on the bill. At 105 my swam cooler can give me 75.

I just love summers in SW AZ and monsoon seasons.

What is the humidity? Swamp coolers are pretty much useless at about
40 - 45% humidity.

I have a piggy-back. A combo AC/swamp cooler in one unit. When the
humidity is up I use the AC. Otherwise the swamp cooler keeps the
house cool and a quarter of the cost.

We are in the mid triple digits this week and summer hasn't even
arrived yet... :-\

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 19:34:20 -0500, philo wrote:

On 06/18/2015 11:46 AM, KenK wrote:
115 today. Wonder how effective the swamp/evaporative cooler
will be? I have a slight concern.

I just love summers in SW AZ and monsoon seasons.

Main reason my wife will never talk me into moving to AZ

here in Wis. it's presently 64

for me that's perfect

I never have to shovel sunshine off my driveway...
Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote:
On 06/18/2015 11:46 AM, KenK wrote:
115 today. Wonder how effective the swamp/evaporative cooler
will be? I have a slight concern.

I just love summers in SW AZ and monsoon seasons.

Main reason my wife will never talk me into moving to AZ

here in Wis. it's presently 64

for me that's perfect

My old neighbor had some respiratory problem and on his doctor's
suggestion he moved to PHX. There his symptom got worse and had to move
back. I heard some pollen flying around in the desert was the problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
philo wrote:
On 06/18/2015 11:46 AM, KenK wrote:
115 today. Wonder how effective the swamp/evaporative cooler
will be? I have a slight concern.

I just love summers in SW AZ and monsoon seasons.

Main reason my wife will never talk me into moving to AZ

here in Wis. it's presently 64

for me that's perfect

My old neighbor had some respiratory problem and on his doctor's
suggestion he moved to PHX. There his symptom got worse and had to move
back. I heard some pollen flying around in the desert was the problem.

It used to be the cure, until all the people moved in and started planting
non-desert landscaping.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 18, 2015 at 9:25:55 PM UTC-5, Tony Hwang wrote:
philo wrote:
On 06/18/2015 11:46 AM, KenK wrote:
115 today. Wonder how effective the swamp/evaporative cooler
will be? I have a slight concern.

I just love summers in SW AZ and monsoon seasons.

Main reason my wife will never talk me into moving to AZ

here in Wis. it's presently 64

for me that's perfect

My old neighbor had some respiratory problem and on his doctor's
suggestion he moved to PHX. There his symptom got worse and had to move
back. I heard some pollen flying around in the desert was the problem.

Down here in Alabamastan everything is green this time of year and the weather report has a pollen alert too. Here's the page, click on pollen alert to see what I mean. Right now it's grass pollen that's high. 8-)

http://www.weather.com/weather/today...am+AL+USAL0054

[8~{} Uncle Pollen Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/18/2015 10:54 AM, Oren wrote:
On 18 Jun 2015 16:46:55 GMT, KenK wrote:

115 today. Wonder how effective the swamp/evaporative cooler
will be? I have a slight concern.

I just love summers in SW AZ and monsoon seasons.

What is the humidity? Swamp coolers are pretty much useless at about
40 - 45% humidity.

SW Arizona? Let's put it this way -- you can sweat out a gallon of
lemonade and your t-shirt will never even be damp.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/18/2015 09:19 PM, J0HNS0N wrote:
On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 19:34:20 -0500, philo wrote:

On 06/18/2015 11:46 AM, KenK wrote:
115 today. Wonder how effective the swamp/evaporative cooler
will be? I have a slight concern.

I just love summers in SW AZ and monsoon seasons.

Main reason my wife will never talk me into moving to AZ

here in Wis. it's presently 64

for me that's perfect

I never have to shovel sunshine off my driveway...

As to snow, I don't have to shovel it off my driveway, because I don't
have one. My parking space directly abuts the alley.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/18/2015 07:19 PM, J0HNS0N wrote:
I have a piggy-back. A combo AC/swamp cooler in one unit.

Details! Who makes it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/19/2015 03:19 AM, J0HNS0N wrote:
I have a piggy-back. A combo AC/swamp cooler in one unit. When the
humidity is up I use the AC. Otherwise the swamp cooler keeps the
house cool and a quarter of the cost.

Don't those contribute to the global humidification crisis?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/18/2015 12:46 PM, KenK wrote:
115 today. Wonder how effective the swamp/evaporative cooler
will be? I have a slight concern.

I just love summers in SW AZ and monsoon seasons.

Happy 115th birthday, old timer.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/18/2015 12:54 PM, Oren wrote:
We are in the mid triple digits this week and summer hasn't even
arrived yet... :-\

Happy 500th birthday.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/18/2015 07:34 PM, philo wrote:
On 06/18/2015 11:46 AM, KenK wrote:
115 today. Wonder how effective the swamp/evaporative cooler
will be? I have a slight concern.

I just love summers in SW AZ and monsoon seasons.

Main reason my wife will never talk me into moving to AZ

here in Wis. it's presently 64

for me that's perfect

Sounds perfect to me too.

Here, we've had too much rain. Most of the time it's either raining or
hot & sticky.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Religion: just say `no'." [Tim Smith]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/18/2015 10:44 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 06/18/2015 10:54 AM, Oren wrote:
On 18 Jun 2015 16:46:55 GMT, KenK wrote:

115 today. Wonder how effective the swamp/evaporative cooler
will be? I have a slight concern.

I just love summers in SW AZ and monsoon seasons.

What is the humidity? Swamp coolers are pretty much useless at about
40 - 45% humidity.

SW Arizona? Let's put it this way -- you can sweat out a gallon of
lemonade and your t-shirt will never even be damp.

I used to know some people in Youngtown AZ (really a part of Phoenix).
It was very dry there, they didn't use their A/C unless the temperature
got to 105.

BTW, another thing I remember is citrus (including orange) trees in the
yard.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Religion: just say `no'." [Tim Smith]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 19:19:50 -0700, J0HNS0N
wrote:

On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 19:34:20 -0500, philo wrote:

On 06/18/2015 11:46 AM, KenK wrote:
115 today. Wonder how effective the swamp/evaporative cooler
will be? I have a slight concern.

I just love summers in SW AZ and monsoon seasons.

Main reason my wife will never talk me into moving to AZ

here in Wis. it's presently 64

for me that's perfect

I never have to shovel sunshine off my driveway...

Yep. We get in the air conditioned car, drive to the air conditioned
store, then drive the air conditioned car back to the air conditioned
house.

Right now (Las Vegas) feels 97°F with 6% humidity. Expect 112°F
tomorrow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/19/2015 10:50 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 06/18/2015 07:34 PM, philo wrote:
On 06/18/2015 11:46 AM, KenK wrote:
115 today. Wonder how effective the swamp/evaporative cooler
will be? I have a slight concern.

I just love summers in SW AZ and monsoon seasons.

Main reason my wife will never talk me into moving to AZ

here in Wis. it's presently 64

for me that's perfect

Sounds perfect to me too.

Here, we've had too much rain. Most of the time it's either raining or
hot & sticky.

Last year I had my wiring upgraded so that I could put in central air.

Now realize I will probably never add it since we rarely get more than a
few exceedingly hot days a year...and the windows A/C can handle that.

Most years the A/C never even gets put in.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Jun 2015 02:35:27 -0500, philo wrote:

On 06/18/2015 09:19 PM, J0HNS0N wrote:

I never have to shovel sunshine off my driveway...

As to snow, I don't have to shovel it off my driveway, because I don't
have one. My parking space directly abuts the alley.

That makes us even then. I don't have an alley.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Jun 2015 00:50:00 -0700, T wrote:

On 06/18/2015 07:19 PM, J0HNS0N wrote:
I have a piggy-back. A combo AC/swamp cooler in one unit.

Details! Who makes it?

Mine is a Goettl. But they don't make it anymore.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Jun 2015 10:20:37 +0100, "R. P. McMurphy"
wrote:

On 06/19/2015 03:19 AM, J0HNS0N wrote:
I have a piggy-back. A combo AC/swamp cooler in one unit. When the
humidity is up I use the AC. Otherwise the swamp cooler keeps the
house cool and a quarter of the cost.

Don't those contribute to the global humidification crisis?

Funny.

I didn't get my first AC unit until I was in my 50s. When I was a kid
most everybody had coolers. We thought we were lucky to have them
because the old timers told of how in the old days they hung wet
sheets on the porch to stay cool.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Jun 2015 10:55:49 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

I used to know some people in Youngtown AZ (really a part of Phoenix).
It was very dry there, they didn't use their A/C unless the temperature
got to 105.

Youngtown is pretty old and unless they built a new house those old
houses had pretty poor insulation so I imagine their AC bill might be
quite high. (The old houses originally came with coolers.)

BTW Youngtown, once a retirement community, lost its legal status and
now has actual young people living there... 8-O

BTW, another thing I remember is citrus (including orange) trees in the
yard.

Several of my neighbors have citrus trees. I had six of them at my
last house. They take the heat well and have the added ability to feed
you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote in :

Most years the A/C never even gets put in.

Same here. I haven't used mine in two or three years that I can remember.
Gets exciting when I need it - wondering if it will still work!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 19:34:20 -0500, philo wrote:

On 06/18/2015 11:46 AM, KenK wrote:
115 today. Wonder how effective the swamp/evaporative cooler
will be? I have a slight concern.

I just love summers in SW AZ and monsoon seasons.

Main reason my wife will never talk me into moving to AZ

here in Wis. it's presently 64

for me that's perfect

I never have to shovel sunshine off my driveway...

Yep. We get in the air conditioned car, drive to the air conditioned
store, then drive the air conditioned car back to the air conditioned
house.

Right now (Las Vegas) feels 97°F with 6% humidity. Expect 112°F
tomorrow.

Hi Oren,

Today is suppose to get to 91F here in Norther Nevada.
Current humidity is 13%, but that will drop a bit as
the day goes on. Swamp cooler is working great until
the neighbors comes home and open their windows to cool
their own houses off and let out all their plugin air
perfume out on the neighborhood, which gives a member of
my family some pretty bad asthma. Then we have to close
up and use a little portable air conditioner. It barely
keeps up, but it works.

I hate those plug ins. It is one thing to breath toxic
chemicals yourself, but another thing to let it lose on
the neighborhood such that others can not open their windows.

For far too many years my car's air conditioner was an
old fashioned 4/60 (four windows, 60 milers per hour).
I got pretty sick a few times from heat exhaustion.

Love my new/used Subi! And yes, the air conditioner works!

-T
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Jun 2015 10:34:50 -0700, T wrote:

I got pretty sick a few times from heat exhaustion.

....I stay in the dungeon - work strike in the summer!

Love my new/used Subi! And yes, the air conditioner works!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/19/2015 10:48 AM, Oren wrote:
...I stay in the dungeon - work strike in the summer!

And when do we go fishing? Okay, okay, all year.

(Todd's fishing) Rule #23:

Cold, Wind, Drizzle, Snow Flurries, Nasty Weather: when
you have to fish where others fish, use these to your
advantage. You get the joint to yourself. Don't be
a wimp!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/19/2015 12:25 PM, KenK wrote:
philo wrote in :

Most years the A/C never even gets put in.

Same here. I haven't used mine in two or three years that I can remember.
Gets exciting when I need it - wondering if it will still work!

Mine is under 20 years old and I maybe put it in the window every five
years or so.

I had one that was 40+ years old, that I put out for the metal
scavengers...It was one heavy SOB

the newer one is quite a bit lighter

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Jun 2015 11:32:30 -0700, T wrote:

On 06/19/2015 10:48 AM, Oren wrote:
...I stay in the dungeon - work strike in the summer!

And when do we go fishing? Okay, okay, all year.

(Todd's fishing) Rule #23:

Cold, Wind, Drizzle, Snow Flurries, Nasty Weather: when
you have to fish where others fish, use these to your
advantage. You get the joint to yourself. Don't be
a wimp!

.... and understand your fish prey
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/19/2015 11:41 AM, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jun 2015 11:32:30 -0700, T wrote:

On 06/19/2015 10:48 AM, Oren wrote:
...I stay in the dungeon - work strike in the summer!

And when do we go fishing? Okay, okay, all year.

(Todd's fishing) Rule #23:

Cold, Wind, Drizzle, Snow Flurries, Nasty Weather: when
you have to fish where others fish, use these to your
advantage. You get the joint to yourself. Don't be
a wimp!

... and understand your fish prey

:-D

"Him Again!!! Ya though I swim through the valley of the
shadow of death, I will not eat anything he throws out
at me!"

They call me bad words in French too, but may have been
the wind. :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/19/2015 10:16 AM, J0HNS0N wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jun 2015 00:50:00 -0700, T wrote:

On 06/18/2015 07:19 PM, J0HNS0N wrote:
I have a piggy-back. A combo AC/swamp cooler in one unit.

Details! Who makes it?

Mine is a Goettl. But they don't make it anymore.

Bummer. Anyone know of a unit that is still in production?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Jun 2015 12:09:45 -0700, T wrote:

On 06/19/2015 10:16 AM, J0HNS0N wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jun 2015 00:50:00 -0700, T wrote:

On 06/18/2015 07:19 PM, J0HNS0N wrote:
I have a piggy-back. A combo AC/swamp cooler in one unit.

Details! Who makes it?

Mine is a Goettl. But they don't make it anymore.

Bummer. Anyone know of a unit that is still in production?

You could look around for a unit in RV's or refrigerated trucks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/19/2015 1:34 PM, T wrote:
Swamp cooler is working great until
the neighbors comes home and open their windows to cool
their own houses off and let out all their plugin air
perfume out on the neighborhood, which gives a member of
my family some pretty bad asthma. Then we have to close
up and use a little portable air conditioner. It barely
keeps up, but it works.

I hate those plug ins. It is one thing to breath toxic
chemicals yourself, but another thing to let it lose on
the neighborhood such that others can not open their windows.

-T

Did you (or a non allergic relative) go talk
with them, and explain how they are affecting
you?

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/19/2015 04:20 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Did you (or a non allergic relative) go talk
with them, and explain how they are affecting
you?

The ones near us know and are nice about it.

Most don't realize how many places perfume exist.
The second worse source, next to opening their windows
and letting their plugins scent the neighborhood,
is their dryer exhaust. Every scent they pick up
during the day and every perfume in their laundry
soap comes pouring out. And then they add dryer
towels and all those chemical comes puring out too.

There is one perfume we call "dress for success"
perfume. Smells like body order and pig sweat
combined. Damned stuff doesn't even smell good
any more. The phthalates will eventually kill them,
but it will take a while.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jun 2015 12:09:45 -0700, T wrote:

On 06/19/2015 10:16 AM, J0HNS0N wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jun 2015 00:50:00 -0700, T wrote:

On 06/18/2015 07:19 PM, J0HNS0N wrote:
I have a piggy-back. A combo AC/swamp cooler in one unit.

Details! Who makes it?

Mine is a Goettl. But they don't make it anymore.

Bummer. Anyone know of a unit that is still in production?

You could look around for a unit in RV's or refrigerated trucks.

RV's or refridgerated trucks use combined A/C - swamp coolers????

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, June 19, 2015 at 6:30:24 PM UTC-5, T wrote:
On 06/19/2015 04:20 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Did you (or a non allergic relative) go talk
with them, and explain how they are affecting
you?

The ones near us know and are nice about it.

Most don't realize how many places perfume exist.
The second worse source, next to opening their windows
and letting their plugins scent the neighborhood,
is their dryer exhaust. Every scent they pick up
during the day and every perfume in their laundry
soap comes pouring out. And then they add dryer
towels and all those chemical comes puring out too.

There is one perfume we call "dress for success"
perfume. Smells like body order and pig sweat
combined. Damned stuff doesn't even smell good
any more. The phthalates will eventually kill them,
but it will take a while.

I recall something I read years ago about perfume makers using wale vomit to make their product. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Stinky Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/19/2015 08:28 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

You heard correctly:
https://student.societyforscience.or...e-free-perfume

They could always switch to pig sweat.

just got very lucky woodchucker[_3_] Woodworking 5 January 3rd 14 07:13 PM
OT; Lucky? The Medway Handyman UK diy 30 October 19th 13 02:37 PM
Almost got lucky with the VFD... Bob La Londe Metalworking 6 January 2nd 11 02:04 AM
Are you lucky ? [email protected] Home Repair 2 February 8th 07 10:35 PM
How lucky we are [email protected] UK diy 0 September 23rd 06 09:45 PM