Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Almost got lucky with the VFD...

I was just reading the manual for the Mitsubishi VFD in the cabinet on the
Hurco. I got all excited when I found it could be run off of single phase
power, not just 3 phase. It even has a table showing is capacity when used
with a single phase input. Sadly its not quite enough.

Oh, well.Otherwise it would be perfect with input control settable at 0-5VDC
or 0-10VDC. It can be run off any decent standard controller.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 1 Jan 2011 13:50:28 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

I was just reading the manual for the Mitsubishi VFD in the cabinet on the
Hurco. I got all excited when I found it could be run off of single phase
power, not just 3 phase. It even has a table showing is capacity when used
with a single phase input. Sadly its not quite enough.

But probably enough to get you started. You may overstress the input
rectifiers and filter caps, but what's the worst that can happen?
You'll shorten it's life and end up with a nfg VFD, which isn't any
worse than no VFD at all. Unless it's new enough to have some resale
value -- what model is it?

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I was just reading the manual for the Mitsubishi VFD in the cabinet on the
Hurco. I got all excited when I found it could be run off of single phase
power, not just 3 phase. It even has a table showing is capacity when used
with a single phase input. Sadly its not quite enough.

But probably enough to get you started. You may overstress the input
rectifiers and filter caps, but what's the worst that can happen?
You'll shorten it's life and end up with a nfg VFD, which isn't any
worse than no VFD at all. Unless it's new enough to have some resale
value -- what model is it?

Ned is 100% right. I would use it, just do not push it to limit. Buy
another VFD later if you feel like.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ned Simmons wrote:
On Sat, 1 Jan 2011 13:50:28 -0700, "Bob La Londe"

I was just reading the manual for the Mitsubishi VFD in the cabinet on the
Hurco. I got all excited when I found it could be run off of single phase
power, not just 3 phase. It even has a table showing is capacity when
used
with a single phase input. Sadly its not quite enough.

But probably enough to get you started. You may overstress the input
rectifiers and filter caps, but what's the worst that can happen?
You'll shorten it's life and end up with a nfg VFD, which isn't any
worse than no VFD at all. Unless it's new enough to have some resale
value -- what model is it?

The second worst thing that could happen is to blow the fuse(s), in which
case, no harm done, except for maybe a dollar or so for new fuses. :-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I was just reading the manual for the Mitsubishi VFD in the cabinet on the
Hurco. I got all excited when I found it could be run off of single phase
power, not just 3 phase. It even has a table showing is capacity when
used
with a single phase input. Sadly its not quite enough.

But probably enough to get you started. You may overstress the input
rectifiers and filter caps, but what's the worst that can happen?
You'll shorten it's life and end up with a nfg VFD, which isn't any
worse than no VFD at all. Unless it's new enough to have some resale
value -- what model is it?

Mitsubishi Freqrol - A024 3.7 Kw. Says it can provide 7 amps out on single
pahse 230 in. The motor says 14 amps on the data plate. (Also, my Hurco
manual says this is a 4HP motor, not a 3HP as some have indicated.) Not
particularly new. I was thinking if I ran a cross a medium duty mid size
lathe or a bigger drill press it would make an excellent speed control for
that. I don't think it has a lot of resale value. Of course I don't even
know if it works yet. Time to go borrow a scope and fire it up I guess.

Actually, yesterday and today I have been just going through the machine to
learn how everything goes. I haven't even leveled it and bolted it down
yet. Overall I am impressed with it. It was built to last.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 1 Jan 2011 16:27:57 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

It's not awfully valuable, but not hopelessly obsolete, either. I have
a mix of Mitsu A22x and A52x drives. I believe the A0's came just
before the A2's, ca. 1994. The A2's are nice because they can display
3 parameters simultaneously. The A5's advantage is that the operator
display is easy to remote with an RJ cable.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I use a 10HP VFD single phase on my 7-1/2HP lathe motor. I let my lathe run
idle and the VFD said it was using something like 14A, I measured the amps
going into the drive and the drive was only using 5A from the wall. What
the VFD draws from the single phase is closer to the true power and what it
supplies to the motor has the bad power factor of the inductive motor.

The point I'm attempting to make is that it's worth a try, you may not be
able to get a continuous 4HP from your motor but 2HP average with 3HP peaks
(drives usually put out 150% of rated output for a minute or so) isn't bad.

RogerN