Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wire strippers

gregz wrote:
Uncle Monster wrote:
On Monday, June 8, 2015 at 6:12:30 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Mon, 8 Jun 2015 15:54:51 -0700 (PDT), Andy
wrote:

How do self adjusting wire strippers compare to the manual types ?

Thanks,
Andy

I like the cheapo flat metal ones for general use. You can adjust it
for wire size if you are doing the same size wire multiple times but
once you get the feel for it, you can strip wire with it wide open and
not nick the conductor.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...K-223-/22-3775

I have carried one in my tool bag for about 50 years

I have a Klein ergonomic soft handled stripper in my electrical tool bag
I've probably had for 10 to 15 years along with Ideal, Greenlee and other
Klien strippers. I bought the Ideal automatic wire stripper 30 years ago
when I was making hundreds of #14 stranded connections in fire alarm and
control panels. It's funny how long cutting and stripping tools will last
when you keep them away from idiots who think they're for cutting nails,
screws, hanger and piano wire. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Ideal Monster

I have a Klein multi tool. It never was right. I had to do some filling to
get the thing better aligned.

Greg

I have a favorite with the diamond name. Similar to this..

http://www.amazon.com/Klein-1011-Str.../dp/B0000302WM

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That's similar to the Ideal T stripper. The wire strippers/cutters I have in my service tool bag that I used the most are the Klein model like the one in the link below. 8-)

https://tinyurl.com/oaovcvq

[8~{} Uncle Strip Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 10 Jun 2015 00:32:06 -0500, Uncle Monster
wrote:

That's similar to the Ideal T stripper. The wire strippers/cutters I
have in my service tool bag that I used the most are the Klein model
like the one in the link below. 8-)

https://tinyurl.com/oaovcvq

[8~{} Uncle Strip Monster

Home Depot sells a similar one under the Commercial Electric brand.
They're about
half price. They seem to hold up fairly well and don't get lost any more
often than
the Kleins.

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

I buy Harbor Freight tools to use as "loaners". I leave the HF tools in plain sight and keep the expensive tools hidden. I've picked up my Klein cutters or lineman's pliers too many times to find a big dent in the cutting edges where some idiot tried to use them to cut a hardened screw.
On one job I got to point where I'd take my tool bag to the restroom with me to keep them from being tampered with while I was out of sight. When I let someone borrow a Harbor Freight tool and they break it, I have a lot of fun pitching a fit and sending them on a guilt trip. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Tool Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/09/2015 11:32 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
That's similar to the Ideal T stripper. The wire strippers/cutters I have in my service tool bag that I used the most are the Klein model like the one in the link below.

That was the last pair I bought, Klein 11046

http://www.amazon.com/Klein-11046-St.../dp/B0000302WS

when I couldn't find a T-5. Sure looks like one with nicer handles. It
has the nanny warning to not use it on live circuits. What fun is that?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/10/2015 05:02 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

Home Depot sells a similar one under the Commercial Electric
brand. They're about
half price. They seem to hold up fairly well and don't get lost any
more often than
the Kleins.

Stupid me, I like those hardly noticeable three letters molded into the
grip -- USA.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/10/2015 08:03 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
I buy Harbor Freight tools to use as "loaners". I leave the HF tools in plain sight and keep the expensive tools hidden.

The tool tube on one of my bikes is stocked with HF wrenches. They
really aren't that bad but if they wander off I'm only out about $50.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, June 10, 2015 at 9:22:31 PM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:
On 06/10/2015 08:03 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
I buy Harbor Freight tools to use as "loaners". I leave the HF tools in plain sight and keep the expensive tools hidden.

The tool tube on one of my bikes is stocked with HF wrenches. They
really aren't that bad but if they wander off I'm only out about $50.

HF actually sells some American made products that are very good. The best flashlight holster I've ever owned is one I bought there. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Light Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster wrote:
On Wednesday, June 10, 2015 at 9:22:31 PM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:
On 06/10/2015 08:03 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
I buy Harbor Freight tools to use as "loaners". I leave the HF tools in
plain sight and keep the expensive tools hidden.

The tool tube on one of my bikes is stocked with HF wrenches. They
really aren't that bad but if they wander off I'm only out about $50.

HF actually sells some American made products that are very good. The
best flashlight holster I've ever owned is one I bought there. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Light Monster

I have a very nice axe and hatchet, German American made from HF.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

If it's that bad, it may be time to look at another type of job.

You do not need that kind of stress. :-)

Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Heck, I'm not working anymore. I have roommates and visitors at home who may borrow something when I'm not looking. I would also loan the Harbor Freight tools to neighbors and their kids. The kids would come by with their bikes and toys for me to fix but I'd wind up showing them how to do it themselves. I gave the kids a lot of the cheap HF screwdrivers, pliers and wrenches. I give a kid a tool if I considered him old enough to avoid doing something really stupid with it because I remember being given a pocket knife when I was 5 years old. I wound up cutting my hand so a knife is something I won't give to a little kid. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Tool Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/11/2015 4:32 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:

Heck, I'm not working anymore. I have roommates

and visitors at home who may borrow something when
I'm not looking. I would also loan the Harbor Freight
tools to neighbors and their kids. The kids would come
by with their bikes and toys for me to fix but I'd
wind up showing them how to do it themselves. I gave
the kids a lot of the cheap HF screwdrivers, pliers
and wrenches. I give a kid a tool if I considered him
old enough to avoid doing something really stupid with
it because I remember being given a pocket knife when
I was 5 years old. I wound up cutting my hand so a
knife is something I won't give to a little kid. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Tool Monster

Good thing it wasn't a BB gun, scooter. You'd
shoot your eye out.

Or, maybe that's an urban legend, Ralphie?

One time, a boy about nine years old asked me for
a pack of matches, to start the stove for dinner.
I wasn't quite comfortable with that, and declined.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..

Wire strippers rbowman[_2_] Home Repair 3 June 11th 15 04:15 AM
Wire strippers gregz Home Repair 0 June 10th 15 04:30 AM
Wire strippers Uncle Monster[_2_] Home Repair 1 June 9th 15 06:37 PM
Thermal Wire Strippers tonkski[_2_] UK diy 3 July 13th 10 02:58 AM
FA : Ends Tonight. Teledyne Thermal Wire Strippers & Weller WTL1000 Oly Electronics Repair 0 November 24th 03 03:19 PM