Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Car compass

On 06/09/2015 10:39 AM, KenK wrote:
Last week on the way to downtown I found my main east/west road was closed.
Trying to avoid a two mile drive to and from the next e/w main road I
ducked into the residential area nearby. This is a dry agricultural area so
there are lots of irrigation ditches and I kept getting blocked by them.
Quickly became lost. Finally ended up on the next main road I was trying to
avoid driving to but with many side trips on the way. sigh I had wished I
had a compass. Can you still put one in the car? There used to be many more
places to fasten one around the windshield than nowdays on a modern car.

Like others have said, the base model Nuvi GPS will run you about $90.
Compasses are great if you're on a dirt bike and don't mind riding
through backyards, jumping ditches, and otherwise bee-lining. Get into
one of those subdivisions with all the cul-de-sacs and they won't do you
any good. Then there are the other little annoyances like rivers,
canyons, freeways, and Walmarts in your line of travel.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 9, 2015 at 11:41:03 PM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:
[...]

We go NOWHERE without GPS. Although honestly i beleve the older garmins were a bit better than the current model.

i drive a lot doing field service, my first garmin cost over 600 bucks.

during the first month i decided it had paid for itself. in saved gas, saved time. etc etc

GPS DONT LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/10/2015 12:11 AM, bob haller wrote:
We go NOWHERE without GPS. Although honestly i beleve the older garmins were a bit better than the current model.

i drive a lot doing field service, my first garmin cost over 600 bucks.

during the first month i decided it had paid for itself. in saved gas, saved time. etc etc

GPS DONT LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT!

I avoid double negatives like the plague.

Don't do no double negatives, nohow.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/09/2015 10:11 PM, bob haller wrote:
We go NOWHERE without GPS. Although honestly i beleve the older garmins were a bit better than the current model.

i drive a lot doing field service, my first garmin cost over 600 bucks.

during the first month i decided it had paid for itself. in saved gas, saved time. etc etc

GPS DONT LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT!

I drove OTR back in the '90s. I would have given my left nut for a GPS
and an (inexpensive) cell phone. I wonder if they have GPS data sets
that know enough to not route you through 12' underpasses and
residential areas?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 10 Jun 2015 20:27:47 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 06/09/2015 10:11 PM, bob haller wrote:
We go NOWHERE without GPS. Although honestly i beleve the older garmins were a bit better than the current model.

i drive a lot doing field service, my first garmin cost over 600 bucks.

during the first month i decided it had paid for itself. in saved gas, saved time. etc etc

GPS DONT LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT!

I drove OTR back in the '90s. I would have given my left nut for a GPS
and an (inexpensive) cell phone. I wonder if they have GPS data sets
that know enough to not route you through 12' underpasses and
residential areas?

Yes they do. The OTR community uses several specialized GPS programs
that know where all the low overpasses etc are, and you can enter your
truck length, width and height, as well as weight, and the program
will route you accordingly. The system my brother used ran on a
laptop with a remote "gps mouse" on the USB port.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/10/2015 9:27 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 06/09/2015 10:11 PM, bob haller wrote:
We go NOWHERE without GPS. Although honestly i beleve the older
garmins were a bit better than the current model.

i drive a lot doing field service, my first garmin cost over 600 bucks.

during the first month i decided it had paid for itself. in saved gas,
saved time. etc etc

GPS DONT LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT!

I drove OTR back in the '90s. I would have given my left nut for a GPS
and an (inexpensive) cell phone. I wonder if they have GPS data sets
that know enough to not route you through 12' underpasses and
residential areas?

Pretty sure that's the case with (at least) Garmin's. The portables
I've owned allow for car, motorcycle and truck in addition to
pedestrian. I assume with the truck it's taking those into consideration.

Another nice feature is the FM Traffic service. Limited to the metro
areas, it is really quite good at warning and routing you around delays.
Mine will tell me that there's a jam up on I-90 and say ~ how long.
My call to steady the course or bail and let it re-route me.

That's the other thing... I have disabled the "Make a U-Turn" whenever I
can on my GPS units. That way it's not trying to get me back on the
route it selected but rather keeping me onward, ever onwardg

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mine will tell me that there's a jam up on I-90 and say ~ how long. My
call to steady the course or bail and let it re-route me.

Around here if there's a jam on I90 you're screwed. Any rerouting would
be a real adventure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/10/2015 10:27 PM, rbowman wrote:

I drove OTR back in the '90s. I would have given my left nut for a GPS
and an (inexpensive) cell phone. I wonder if they have GPS data sets
that know enough to not route you through 12' underpasses and
residential areas?

Supposedly yes. They are, of course, morw expensive than the cheap ones
most people need. Truckers ave a couple of bucks then call when they
can't make a turn someplace en route to us.

Car compass Stormin Mormon[_10_] Home Repair 40 June 17th 15 10:04 PM
Car compass Frank[_23_] Home Repair 24 June 12th 15 03:09 AM
Car compass micky Home Repair 0 June 9th 15 09:31 PM
Car compass Ed Pawlowski Home Repair 0 June 9th 15 07:27 PM
compass C & S Woodworking Plans and Photos 5 May 12th 08 01:12 PM