Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Where can I buy a small Sewer Grate?

Posted June 3, 2015

There's a step next to my gravel (farm) driveway, which goes down 2
wooden steps to my patio, and to my house porch. During heavy rains,
water tends to run down the driveway and poured over those steps. So, I
raised the steps to provide a 3 inch rail. Then I dug a trench along the
patio edge where the water could channel. I put a run off spot above
that trench, so any water that went against that rail would go into that
trench. The idea worked, except the water now pours over and makes a
deep washout at the head of that trench.

To solve this, I have decided to make a concrete storm sewer right at
the edge of the steps and have it drain into the trench via some 6 inch
PVC pipe. My plan is to dig a hole next to the steps at the top of them.
Pour a concrete base at the bottom of the hole. When it's dry, I'll set
a 5 gallon plastic pail in the hole, and fill all the way around the
pail with concrete (about 4" thick). The pail will have a hole in the
bottom for the 6" PVC pipe.

So, when the concrete is hard, there will be a concrete basin (lined
with the plastic pail, which will stay in the concrete). The water will
run into that basin, and exit the 6" PVC pipe which will flow down the
trench. All of this is do-able and should work about the same as a storm
sewer in a road.

But I need a grate to put on top, and I dont know where to get one.
A plastic pail is 12" dia. But with 4" of concrete all the way around,
it will be about 20 inches. Therefore I need a grate that is about 20"
square. (I will form a lip with the concrete for it to sit in.).

I should mention that this grate must be steel and strong. I dont want a
person to fall in, but we also have horses around here and they do get
loose at times. I dont want one of them to break a leg in the hole.
Therefore the grate must be capable of at least 1200lbs. (weight of a
fairly big horse).

Anyone know where to buy such a thing?
I looked at some building supply stores and all they had was much
smaller plastic things.

I have thought about asking the county, or nearby town about buying an
actual road grate, but those are too large. (Even though I suppose I
could make a larger pad for it).

My only other option would be to have a machine shop make something, but
that would likely be very costly.

Maybe someone on here knows of a source for them???????

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, June 3, 2015 at 2:44:46 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Check at HD, Lowes, building suppliers, etc. in the plumbing section.
They have some. I was looking at a channel type product for a similar
application. It's two parts, channel, removable top grate,
made of resin, about 5" wide, 4ft long. It tough enough to use for
driveways. They also have square
ones, about 6 x 6, etc. If there are any concrete product
suppliers around you, they typically stock them too.
Posted to alt.home.repair,aus.religion.christian,uk.rec.driving

Default Jerry poasts from the future with "Where can I buy a small Sewer Grate?"

wrote in message
Posted June 3, 2045

Miss Recktum uses one as a bbq grill. You could ask her. Just watch out
for her exploding colostomy bag. It's ****ing gross!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

But I need a grate to put on top, and I dont know where to get one.
A plastic pail is 12" dia. But with 4" of concrete all the way around,
it will be about 20 inches. Therefore I need a grate that is about 20"
square. (I will form a lip with the concrete for it to sit in.).

If big box stores lack what you want, it does not cost much
to have a custom grate made by local metalworkers. If you
get the grate before you pour concrete, you are assured
of a good fit.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 04 Jun 2015 14:46:26 -0500, wrote:

On Wed, 03 Jun 2015 22:31:39 -0400, micky
wrote:

On Wed, 03 Jun 2015 01:43:41 -0500,
wrote:

I should mention that this grate must be steel and strong. I dont want a
person to fall in, but we also have horses around here and they do get
loose at times. I dont want one of them to break a leg in the hole.
Therefore the grate must be capable of at least 1200lbs. (weight of a
fairly big horse).

That's if he's standing on one leg, or has all 4 legs on the grate.

True, one leg wont be the full weight. And only 2 legs at most could be
on the grate at once. But I still want it strong.

Normally I don't like plastic imitations of metal or wood, but I think
they make some realistic looking plastic grates. I have no idea how
much weight they are rated for, but some of that plastic is amazingly
strong.

If it's plastic and can handle 1200lbs or greater, (legally rated), I'd
consider it.

After years of mild flooding on a driveway about 120 yards from me, they
put in a drain with a series of grates, maybe 12" wide by 36", that cars
drive over. 12 is not 20 and tires are bigger than horses' hooves, and
I only think the grates are plastic. I'll try to remember to look. I
wonder if they'll let me take one out and look at the maker's name
embossed underneath. Or maybe it's embossed on top,although that would
make little lakes where water would sit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

why don't you use a precast drop inlet box? Such as:

http://www.jensenprecast.com/Sewer-a...-Inlets-p4010/

Posted to alt.home.repair

"taxed and spent" writes:

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

They're not all that hard to build for oneself; a simple
plywood mold and a bag or two of premix are sufficient.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message
"taxed and spent" writes:

wrote in message
. ..
[...]

but then you have a long thread about where to buy the grate.

gas range burner grate SS Home Repair 8 December 30th 17 03:01 AM
Grate polish Den Murray Home Repair 3 June 16th 08 06:51 AM
grate [email protected] Home Repair 4 December 29th 07 07:13 PM
Wooden Grate - How to do it Hoosierpopi Woodworking 5 July 29th 07 12:52 PM
fireplace grate oreo123 Home Repair 5 October 23rd 04 04:50 AM