Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Wooden Grate - How to do it

I want to make a wooden "grate." out od 3/4 stock. I want to cut
dado's (?) 1/2-way through the 3/4" square stock (X" long) such that
they intersect such that the "holes" formed are 3/4" square and the
top an bottom surfaces of the assembled "grate" are uniform
(relatively) surfaces.

I have a TS, Chop / Miter Saw and porter cable router(s).

I would like to find a jig such that I can index the cuts (as on a box
joint jig - or some other lzy man's approach.

I am not building furniture!

Any links to plans for jig or how to article(s) would b appreciated.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hoosierpopi wrote:
I want to make a wooden "grate." out od 3/4 stock. I want to cut
dado's (?) 1/2-way through the 3/4" square stock (X" long) such that
they intersect such that the "holes" formed are 3/4" square and the
top an bottom surfaces of the assembled "grate" are uniform
(relatively) surfaces.

I have a TS, Chop / Miter Saw and porter cable router(s).

I would like to find a jig such that I can index the cuts (as on a box
joint jig - or some other lzy man's approach.

I am not building furniture!

Any links to plans for jig or how to article(s) would b appreciated.

I was with you right up to the part where you said that the tops &

bottoms would need to be 'uniform'. Do you mean smooth? If so, that
looks like a non-starter. But if you only mean with the same projection
.... give what you've described a try ... it looks like you already know
the answer.

Cut the dado 1/2 way through (or SLIGHTLY proud of 1/2 way) then turn
the pieces 90 deg. and run them through again.

If appearance is critical, make a sled with a 3/4 runner on the top (as
well as any on the bottom) spaced 3/4" away from the edge of the dado
blade. Make the first cut against the runner and slip it over the runner
for the rest.

Just my best guess and 2 cents worth.

Bill

--
I'm not not at the above address.
http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000761-3, 07/28/2007
Tested on: 7/28/2007 8:30:27 PM

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hoosierpopi wrote:

I want to make a wooden "grate." out od 3/4 stock.

Very straight forward process using a T/S, a sled, and a dado.

Get Fred Bingham's book, Practical Yacht Joinery.

He fully describes the process, complete with pics and sketches, for
making teak cockpit grates for sailboats.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 16:33:12 -0700, Hoosierpopi
wrote:

I want to make a wooden "grate." out od 3/4 stock. I want to cut
dado's (?) 1/2-way through the 3/4" square stock (X" long) such that
they intersect such that the "holes" formed are 3/4" square and the
top an bottom surfaces of the assembled "grate" are uniform
(relatively) surfaces.

I have a TS, Chop / Miter Saw and porter cable router(s).

I would like to find a jig such that I can index the cuts (as on a box
joint jig - or some other lzy man's approach.

I am not building furniture!

Any links to plans for jig or how to article(s) would b appreciated.

Cut the dados on wider boards first then rip the board into 3/4"
strips. Less work, and you don't have to worry about tearout.

If you have a dado set for the TS set that's probably your best bet.

If you have a crosscut sled for your TS then you could cut spacer
blocks that are 1.5". Set a stop on the sled, make a pass, add a
block, make a pass...

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
news

Hoosierpopi wrote:

I want to make a wooden "grate." out od 3/4 stock.

Very straight forward process using a T/S, a sled, and a dado.

Get Fred Bingham's book, Practical Yacht Joinery.

He fully describes the process, complete with pics and sketches, for
making teak cockpit grates for sailboats.

Pretty simple with the router if you've got the ponies for a 3/4 bit and a
table.
http://www.routerworkshop.com/boxjoints.html

Check the sliding dovetail section for ideas. I make grid trivets the same
way you make a grid.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 20:18:28 -0500, Leuf
wrote:

If you have a crosscut sled for your TS then you could cut spacer
blocks that are 1.5". Set a stop on the sled, make a pass, add a
block, make a pass...

What he said, or a "locating finger" ala box joint jig, used in a
similar manner on a sled or sacrificial miter gauge fence.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **

burner distance from grate on gaz range...unusual? pascalou Home Repair 2 December 17th 06 06:37 AM
Remote control gas grate for installation in an existing fireplace? Pete UK diy 3 December 19th 05 12:30 AM
Outhouse Plans in Grate Demand ! Nehmo Sergheyev Home Repair 33 June 11th 05 09:27 PM
fireplace grate oreo123 Home Repair 5 October 23rd 04 04:50 AM
OT - Use grate in Rumford fireplace...? Kenneth Woodworking 5 December 29th 03 07:05 PM