Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gas power washer from Lowes

I have a $350 5 year old gas power washer from Lowes. I used it maybe twice. Whenever I start it, it revs up, but then dies down 10 seconds later. I cleaned out the carborator and changed the spark plug, but don't know if it is worth it to spend money to have it repaired.
Is the governer on it shot? Any suggestions?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/25/2015 10:29 PM, Deodiaus wrote:
I have a $350 5 year old gas power washer from Lowes. I used it maybe twice. Whenever I start it, it revs up, but then dies down 10 seconds later. I cleaned out the carborator and changed the spark plug, but don't know if it is worth it to spend money to have it repaired.
Is the governer on it shot? Any suggestions?

Don't know what you consider cleaning the carburetor but from the
symptoms it sounds as if it's starving for fuel. That suggests that you
haven't completely cleaned out the carb.

Five years old, used twice. Did you completely drain the gas from it
after each use? Run it dry? How long does it have to sit before it
will start up again?

Before giving up on it, I'd suggest a product called "Start Your
Engines" (available in Farm & Fleet, Menard's, etc) or just some
carburetor cleaner. Mix either one in with a small amount of FRESH
gasoline (after completely draining the tank) and let it sit for a hour
or so. Start it up. Should start and you'll get a fair amount of white
smoke (No, they did NOT elect a new Popeg). If it continues to run,
let it run dry to work all the chemical through the system. Refill with
fresh gas treated with a good fuel stabilizer and DON'T leave it sit for
months or years with gasoline in it, regardless of what you use as
stabilizer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 25, 2015 at 11:49:30 PM UTC-4, Unquestionably Confused wrote:
On 5/25/2015 10:29 PM, Deodiaus wrote:
I have a $350 5 year old gas power washer from Lowes. I used it maybe twice. Whenever I start it, it revs up, but then dies down 10 seconds later. I cleaned out the carborator and changed the spark plug, but don't know if it is worth it to spend money to have it repaired.
Is the governer on it shot? Any suggestions?

Don't know what you consider cleaning the carburetor but from the
symptoms it sounds as if it's starving for fuel. That suggests that you
haven't completely cleaned out the carb.

Many carbs also have welch plugs, which are essentially little
curved metal disks that seal off internal passages. To properly
clean those, you need to remove them, use carb cleaner, air gun, etc.
Then you need new plugs. You can get a rebuild kit, them have them
on Ebay among other places. For $12 or so you get all the seals,
welch plugs, new needle valves, etc.

Another issue is if after cleaning it the adjustments were reset
to original position, or factory default, etc. But given the
symptoms and how carbs are a major source of problems due to getting
fouled, the carb would be my first suspicion too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 8:21:05 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

We had a plugged up carb on our lawn mower. I considered taking the carb off, disassembling, cleaning and possibly rebuilding it but I was able to get a new carb off Ebay for under $30. It took 15 minutes to swap out and the lawn mower started on the first pull. Oh yea, now I remember why I considered rebuilding, the primer bulb was shot. It was worth it to me to just put on a new carb instead screwing around with a rebuild. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Carb Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Deodiaus" wrote in message
I have a $350 5 year old gas power washer from Lowes. I used it maybe
twice. Whenever I start it, it revs up, but then dies down 10 seconds
later. I cleaned out the carborator and changed the spark plug, but don't
know if it is worth it to spend money to have it repaired.
Is the governer on it shot? Any suggestions?

Buy one that works on elecktric.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Deodiaus wrote:
I have a $350 5 year old gas power washer from Lowes. I used it
maybe twice. Whenever I start it, it revs up, but then dies down 10
seconds later. I cleaned out the carborator and changed the spark
plug, but don't know if it is worth it to spend money to have it
repaired.
Is the governer on it shot? Any suggestions?

It's clearly a simple carb problem. Anyone with a little knowledge of small
engines should be able to fix it easily.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message
Deodiaus wrote:
I have a $350 5 year old gas power washer from Lowes. I used it
maybe twice. Whenever I start it, it revs up, but then dies down 10
seconds later. I cleaned out the carborator and changed the spark
plug, but don't know if it is worth it to spend money to have it
repaired.
Is the governer on it shot? Any suggestions?

It's clearly a simple carb problem. Anyone with a little knowledge of
small engines should be able to fix it easily.

Bull****! And Bull****!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 26 May 2015 09:40:02 -0700, "Bob F" wrote:

Deodiaus wrote:
I have a $350 5 year old gas power washer from Lowes. I used it
maybe twice. Whenever I start it, it revs up, but then dies down 10
seconds later. I cleaned out the carborator and changed the spark
plug, but don't know if it is worth it to spend money to have it
repaired.
Is the governer on it shot? Any suggestions?

It's clearly a simple carb problem. Anyone with a little knowledge of small
engines should be able to fix it easily.

No one in this thread mentioned checking the fuel filter, fuel line, and
there is often a very fine screen inside the gas tank where the fuel
line connects.

Replace the filter, blow air thru the fuel line, and make sure that
screen is clean. Then make sure the gas is fresh by dumping the old and
refilling with fresh gas.

Also be sure the gas cap vent is venting. (try running it with the cap
loose).

If the giovernor is not working, you can manually push the throttle, but
dont push it too far or you might damage the engine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 25 May 2015 20:29:52 -0700 (PDT), Deodiaus
wrote:

I have a $350 5 year old gas power washer from Lowes. I used it maybe twice. Whenever I start it, it revs up, but then dies down 10 seconds later. I cleaned out the carborator and changed the spark plug, but don't know if it is worth it to spend money to have it repaired.
Is the governer on it shot? Any suggestions?

Do the easy stuff first. (KISS) Remove the air filter. If starting
fluid, sprayed in while running, keeps the engine running - it may me
your cleaning of the carb was not done correctly.

Are the carb throat venturis cleared. Fuel and air mix in the throat
so check it.

http://www.valvoline.com/products/brands/valvoline/starting-fluid/57

This gator's got no power (Lowes new sandpaper) J. Clarke[_2_] Woodworking 12 November 9th 10 04:24 AM
ex-cell power washer cj Home Repair 2 August 23rd 06 02:16 PM
Power washer fault, help please [email protected] UK diy 4 July 25th 05 09:11 AM
Karcher power washer Rodders UK diy 21 April 13th 05 07:33 PM
Power Washer NetComm888 Home Ownership 1 July 19th 04 10:08 PM