Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mildew on roof shindles

On Sunday, June 22, 2003 at 10:39:10 PM UTC-4, jim wrote:
Bill Clements wrote:

I have what appears to be mildew on the roof shingles
of my home. Any ideas on how to remove this ?

Thanks in advance......

how about a solution of bleach and water and spray it on.. it will kill
the mildew/mold......

NO NO NO NO NO! thebleach will permanetely damage the shingles!

Leave it be or buy a product specific for the mold.....

roofers can add some metal stips toprevent it from re growing.

its a effect of global warming
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill Clements wrote:

I have what appears to be mildew on the roof shingles
of my home. Any ideas on how to remove this ?

Thanks in advance......

how about a solution of bleach and water and spray it on.. it will kill
the mildew/mold......

You're reviving a 12 year old thread.

NO NO NO NO NO! thebleach will permanetely damage the shingles!

GAF, one of the largest manufacturers of shingles, disagrees:

http://blog.gaf.com/spring-roof-clean-up-tips/

"Mold. Discolored streaks on a roof indicate there is mold, algae, or fungus, which can eat away at the roofing material and, ultimately, cause leaks. A treatment of chlorine bleach or copper sulfate solution applied with a garden sprayer can kill the mold. GAF manufactures algae-resistant shingles that have a specially formulated granule that inhibits algae growth, in addition to shingles with StainGuard® Protection. Finally, do not power wash shingles! It can dislodge granules and cause premature shingle failure."

So does the assoc of roofing manufacturers:

http://www.asphaltroofing.org/press-...oofing-systems

"The most effective method of cleaning algae and moss from a roof is with a 50:50 mix of laundry strength liquid chlorine bleach and water. Apply with a sprayer and allow the solution to dwell on the roof surface for 15 to 20 minutes, and then rinse thoroughly with low pressure water. "

Leave it be or buy a product specific for the mold.....

That's what the sellers of those products want you to believe.

roofers can add some metal stips toprevent it from re growing.

Those would be zinc strips. They work, but are marginally
effective. They protect an area about 4 ft below where they
are applied.

its a effect of global warming

I suppose it's an immediate threat to our national security, too.
Good grief.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"bob haller" wrote in message

roofers can add some metal stips toprevent it from re growing.

its a effect of global warming

While the thread is very old, the main reason for the growth is the shingles
used to have copper and maybe zinc in them. Over the years they cut way
back or eliminated the elements that stopped the growth. I just had a roof
put on and they have started putting more growth preventive chemicals back
into the shingles and have a long warrenty about that growth.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill Clements wrote:

I have what appears to be mildew on the roof shingles
of my home. Any ideas on how to remove this ?

Thanks in advance......

how about a solution of bleach and water and spray it on.. it will kill
the mildew/mold......

NO NO NO NO NO! thebleach will permanetely damage the shingles!

Leave it be or buy a product specific for the mold.....

roofers can add some metal stips toprevent it from re growing.

its a effect of global warming

Many roofers use bleach, but others have stopped because it can discolor
shingles and kill plants below the eaves.

Some who have quit bleach swear by washing soda. Others say borax or
trisodium phosphate. When I happened to be on my roof, I sprinkled
baking soda on the moss, from a can similar to a Parmesan cheese jar. In
a few days, the moss was brown.

For a bigger job, I'd use borax in a garden sprayer. The general-purpose
solution is 2 tablespoons per quart of water. It dissolves best when
heated to about 140 degrees (steaming) on the stove. A bit of detergent
could help it soak in.

It would be nice if sprayer manufacturers would publish vertical
capability and gallons per minute. My one-gallon sprayer with a hose and
wand will spray 10 feet up. My one-hand sprayer will spray 15 feet up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill Clements wrote:

I have what appears to be mildew on the roof shingles
of my home. Any ideas on how to remove this ?

Thanks in advance......

how about a solution of bleach and water and spray it on.. it will kill
the mildew/mold......

NO NO NO NO NO! thebleach will permanetely damage the shingles!

Leave it be or buy a product specific for the mold.....

roofers can add some metal stips toprevent it from re growing.

its a effect of global warming

I used bleach last summer on camp porch roof to demoss. Worked.

This year I just sprayed some stuff on garage roof. Says it works over
time. I'll see.

Greg