Philip Lewis

Default Cleaning Mildew from roof shingles ???

Mark writes:
OK, I'll bite. How does a zinc strip at the ridge stop mold down on the
shingles? Sounds like those magnetic water purifiers you place on the outside
of your copper pipes......

I've always heard copper was the metal of choice... perhaps zinc
doesn't turn your roof green.

Certain metals are toxic to families of organisms.

When the rain (slightly acid) hits the metals, some amount is
dissolved in the water, creating just enough toxicity to make the roof
not hospitable to the moss. (and perhaps mildew/mold)

Much more scientific than the magnetic water purifiers.

I do know of any studies that support this... just my back of envelope
reasoning.

--
be safe.
flip