Posted to alt.home.repair

Default LED Filaments

I'm trying to put together a project for my screened in porch. I would
like to hang some fancy wine bottles from the ceiling at various
heights. I would like them lit, so using the LED filament strips would
be nice touch. The LED filament strip could be inserted from the top
open end of the bottle. I've found them in 2 places, ALI Express and
Amazon. ALI was cheapest at .91 each strip. I've done a lot of Googling
and that's all I've come up with, except for lots of link to LED
filament bulbs, which I really don't want. I've always hesitated from
ordering direct from Europe or Asia. Anyone have any experiences with
ALI? I know they were just in the news, I think something about going
public or some other financial thing (I'm an engineering nerd, so excuse
my lack of financial knowledge). Also, anyone here play with these LED
filament strips? Any 1st hand info would be great.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/16/2015 08:17 AM, Art Todesco wrote:
[...]

I don't know about the quality, but at 91 cents it's not much of a gamble.

As to ordering from overseas, the first time I did it, was inadvertently
and the stuff I ordered shipped from China.
To those who say we should not deal with China, I say "BS" because what
I got was exactly the same Chinese stuff that I could get here...only at
1/10th the price.

No problem at all with the product...but it did of course take longer to
get here. Usually 10 days.

OTOH: You may not need LEDS at all, you may find that you and your
friends "get lit" in the very process of producing the /empty/ wine bottles.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Art Todesco" wrote in message
[...]

Can't say about ALI, but I have ordered maybe 20 or 30 things from China off
Ebay. They usually take 2 to 3 weeks to get here just like the ebay page
says. Somehow China helps their companies with the postage so I have been
told. That way they can ship out things that cost just a couple of dollars
and the price is still very low. I just ordered two LED bulbs for a
flashlight and it took two weeks. The total price was only around $ 11
including the shipping. I bought a cable a while back and the total cost on
it was less than $ 2.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Art Todesco wrote:
[...]

Filament or rope? Most of them are made in China anyway. I ordered few
things from China on eBay some times free shipping. They never failed to
deliver so far. Ones from Hong Kong or Taiwan arrives faster than ones
from Beijing. You can get many types like programmable ones. Blinking,
racing, changing color, etc. Ours are all solar and used in outside patio.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 May 2015 09:44:00 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"Art Todesco" wrote in message

I've always hesitated from ordering direct from Europe
or Asia. Anyone have any experiences with ALI?

Can't say about ALI, but I have ordered maybe 20 or 30 things from China off
Ebay. They usually take 2 to 3 weeks to get here just like the ebay page
says. Somehow China helps their companies with the postage so I have been
told. That way they can ship out things that cost just a couple of dollars
and the price is still very low. I just ordered two LED bulbs for a
flashlight and it took two weeks. The total price was only around $ 11
including the shipping. I bought a cable a while back and the total cost on
it was less than $ 2.

I've ordered from both Europe and China with good results. The stuff
from Europe came a bit faster though.

I bought some small Cree AA sized LED flashlights for $3.25 including
shipping. Great little lights for a really good price. I was given a
USPS tracking number a day after placing the order. It took a good
two weeks before it was trackable and then it was in Secaucus, NJ and
in my hands a day or two later. My guess is they consolidate
shipments and move a full container to the US for final distribution.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/16/2015 07:17 AM, Art Todesco wrote:
I'm trying to put together a project for my screened in porch. I would
like to hang some fancy wine bottles from the ceiling at various
heights. I would like them lit, so using the LED filament strips would
be nice touch.

Would EL wire work for the effect you want?

http://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Neon-...p/B0094A3OY6\\

https://learn.adafruit.com/el-wire
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/16/2015 2:07 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 05/16/2015 07:17 AM, Art Todesco wrote:
I'm trying to put together a project for my screened in porch. I would
like to hang some fancy wine bottles from the ceiling at various
heights. I would like them lit, so using the LED filament strips would
be nice touch.

Would EL wire work for the effect you want?

http://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Neon-...p/B0094A3OY6\\

https://learn.adafruit.com/el-wire

That looks like it might work. Some of the sites say that you can cut
it. If you cut it in 1 foot lengths, can power be connected to each?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/16/2015 01:00 PM, Art Todesco wrote:
That looks like it might work. Some of the sites say that you can cut
it. If you cut it in 1 foot lengths, can power be connected to each?

https://learn.adafruit.com/el-wire/using-el-wire

Yes. It's a little finicky but you can also solder it together if you
wanted to change colors

https://learn.adafruit.com/el-wire/soldering-to-el-wire

http://www.adafruit.com/products/402?PageSpeed=noscript

That's a splitter so you don't have to screw around making your own.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 May 2015 09:17:59 -0400, Art Todesco
wrote:

[...]

Are you talking about the LED strip lights? The flat tape with LED's
spaced along it?

If so, searching for LED tape will get you a ton of sources.

LeeValley sells a very nice system...bit pricey though, as are most
things LeeValley...but top quality.

They also sell LED rope light, in case that's what your after...spaced
LEDs in a clear plastic tube.

Paul F.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

No, I was originally talking about LED filaments. You usually see the in
classic look Edison lamps. The are actually strips, but very small. See:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/LED-f...862140831.html
I've used the regular LED tape before for kitchen under counter
lighting and also for piano/organ music rack lighting. But, rbowman gave
me an idea. Use the EL small rope. Put say, 2' of it in each bottle,
sort of loosely tangled, and it might look pretty good.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Art Todesco" wrote in message

stuff snipped

I've always hesitated from ordering direct from Europe or Asia. Anyone

have any
experiences with ALI? I know they were just in the news, I think

something about going
public or some other financial thing (I'm an engineering nerd, so excuse
my lack of financial knowledge).

I order from China all the time, sometimes through eBay and Amazon,
sometimes directly. Never had a really serious problem. One thing to be
aware of is that it's a lot cheaper for them to ship to us than us to ship
to them, and that can be a factor if you have to return something. For
items in the $20 to $50 range, you can end up spending as much to return a
defective item (with tracking) in postage.

--
Bobby G.