Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Painting an electric heater

Portable electric heater used in the bathroom. The paint is peeling off
some of it from moisture. It still works great and it's in a solid metal
housing. Before it gets all rusty, I'd like to paint it. I know the
paint needs to be a high temperature paint.

My question is what kind of paint to use. (Aerosol cans of spray paint
is preferred). Would auto engine paint work, or is that not high temp
enough? If not, what else is there? I know they sell paint for BBQ
grills, but that only comes on black. The heater is light gray now. This
gray would be fine for repainting, or some other other light color, but
not black.

What are my other options for a hi-temp paint?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Portable electric heater used in the bathroom. The paint is peeling off
some of it from moisture. It still works great and it's in a solid metal
housing. Before it gets all rusty, I'd like to paint it. I know the
paint needs to be a high temperature paint.

My question is what kind of paint to use. (Aerosol cans of spray paint
is preferred). Would auto engine paint work, or is that not high temp
enough? If not, what else is there? I know they sell paint for BBQ
grills, but that only comes on black. The heater is light gray now. This
gray would be fine for repainting, or some other other light color, but
not black.

What are my other options for a hi-temp paint?

Thanks

Look around for more color choices. Several years ago I found an almond color high heat spray paint for an in-wall electric heater grill. It still looks good today. I think that I bought it at Home Depot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 8:22:53 AM UTC-4, John G wrote:
[...]

Portable electric heaters that I've used, never get very hot
to begin with, but then we don't know the actual unit. I
would think that any of the high temp paints at the big box
stores would work OK.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/16/2015 7:26 AM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Having lived with electric baseboard heating units since 1974 and having
repainted a few, the heat thing is a non-issue when using spray enamel.
Hell, it's even a non-issue if you brush on latex as did the owners of
the apartment we first lived in.

Obviously, you mask off the element and radiating fins (if any) but
after that, I think you'll have success with any quality spray enamel.
I know that I've used Rustoleum in the past as well as others. The big
deal is - as always - application. Properly prepare the surface, follow
directions, and light, repeated coats with proper drying time.

It WILL smell a bit when you first fire up the heater but that will pass
and the paint job will look great and work just as it's supposed to.

And, yes, two of the five or so paint jobs I've done over the years were
in bathrooms.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 07:53:23 -0500, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

[...]

I don't know about the rest of this, but I'd bet that moveable room
heaters get hotter than electric baseboard heating units that are the
primary heat.

My mother rented a house that had had radiant heat in the cement slab
but that was changed to electric baseboard heaters. I visited there in
the winter many times. My bed was right next to an outside wall. I
assume there was a heating unit on that wall, though I don't remember.
But I also took note of the rest of the house.

Hell, it's even a non-issue if you brush on latex as did the owners of
the apartment we first lived in.

Obviously, you mask off the element and radiating fins (if any) but
after that, I think you'll have success with any quality spray enamel.
I know that I've used Rustoleum in the past as well as others. The big
deal is - as always - application. Properly prepare the surface, follow
directions, and light, repeated coats with proper drying time.

It WILL smell a bit when you first fire up the heater but that will pass
and the paint job will look great and work just as it's supposed to.

And, yes, two of the five or so paint jobs I've done over the years were
in bathrooms.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 05:07:16 -0500, wrote:

What are my other options for a hi-temp paint?

"auto exhaust header paint"

Some withstands 1500°F. Find a color you like...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Portable electric heater used in the bathroom. The paint is peeling off
some of it from moisture. It still works great and it's in a solid metal
housing. Before it gets all rusty, I'd like to paint it. I know the
paint needs to be a high temperature paint.

My question is what kind of paint to use. (Aerosol cans of spray paint
is preferred). Would auto engine paint work, or is that not high temp
enough? If not, what else is there? I know they sell paint for BBQ
grills, but that only comes on black. The heater is light gray now. This
gray would be fine for repainting, or some other other light color, but
not black.

What are my other options for a hi-temp paint?

Thanks

Does it is so hot? All the electric baseboards I saw that were painted and
there were a lot were painted with regular paint. When my shoes were wet from
going outside cycling in a warm winter day, I could not put them directly on
the baseboard heater to dry them, it was too hot. Once it is dry, regular
paint would be just fine. If you are so worry and do not mind spending more,
this kind of paint would do just fine and it should be less expensive in the
US.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/high...aerosol/980160

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 12:58:11 PM UTC-4, Pin wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

+1

We don't have the specifics on the heater, but every electric
heater of the kind I think we're talking about, the case doesn't
get very hot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

Its a metal case about 15" tall and a foot wide and 10" deep. It has a
the visible metal coils inside that glow orange and there is a fan in
there. It does get pretty hot. Hotter than the baseboard ones with
fins. But I'd think it gets no hotter than an engine gets near the
exhaust manifold.