Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What servicing will my heater need after 10 years of non-use?

I haven't used my central heater for about 10 years (been relying on
electric space heaters) I already know I have to have a plumber hook up
the gas line, but what steps should be taken before firing it up again
after so long?

I assume my ducts will need thorough cleaning. What about the heater
itself? It can use oil or gas, I used oil before but was in the process of
switching to gas when things happened (money ran out etc) I assume it
would have to be thoroughly cleaned and checked for safety or any possible
leaks.

Any idea what the cost of this gargantuan effort would be? (Would it be
cheaper to have a whole new system installed?)

This is a 10x50 mobile home so the duct cleaning would probably fall on
the low end of pricing. There may be some holes in some of the ducts. I'm
hoping all this can be done for less than $1000

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/15/2015 12:44 AM, Bobbo wrote:
[...]

Nope. You do not call a plumber for this.

I have never heard of a furnace that can "use oil or gas" it's one or
the other...but at any rate, your HVAC contractor will know.
They can inspect it and if it's in good condition...hook it up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, February 15, 2015 at 7:28:18 AM UTC-5, philo wrote:
[...]

I've never heard of one that can use either oil or gas either.
Regarding the ducts, unless they were already fouled, no reason for
them to be fouled from sitting there. But he did say something about
there might be holes, in which case, I guess spiders and such could
have gotten in, but normal ducts would be fine. Cost? Who knows.
Hooking up the gas line could be a 2 ft, 30 min job or a 50 ft headache.
Absent the gas line, absent any duct cleaning, I would think a
typical service call to check, clean, the furnace would be ~$200.
Posted to alt.home.repair

oups.com...
--

Ask that same question to yer wife.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/15/2015 1:44 AM, Bobbo wrote:
[...]

I can't imagine electric heaters being cheaper than other fuels. Do you
have natural gas available?

The burner and heat exchanger should be cleaned, of course, blower
checked and possibly lubricated. Any service tech can do in in an hour
or two.

As for replacing, new units are more efficient, but I don't know about
the units that are used in trailers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, February 15, 2015 at 9:59:34 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

I was thinking that too. One winter I tried using an electric heater
for the room that I'm in most of the time and keeping the heat lower
in the rest of the house. My electric bills were substantially higher
and the gas bills not all that much lower.
And with NG being relatively low cost, I concluded it was probably a
wash at best, maybe a net increase in cost. That was for one room.
If you have multiple heaters, it's going to be even worse. I decided
that even if it does cost a bit more to heat the whole house, it's
not worth it. Of course with different fuels and rates, the situation
could be different.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/15/2015 10:11 AM, trader_4 wrote:

I can't imagine electric heaters being cheaper than other fuels. Do you
have natural gas available?

I was thinking that too. One winter I tried using an electric heater
for the room that I'm in most of the time and keeping the heat lower
in the rest of the house. My electric bills were substantially higher
and the gas bills not all that much lower.
And with NG being relatively low cost, I concluded it was probably a
wash at best, maybe a net increase in cost. That was for one room.
If you have multiple heaters, it's going to be even worse. I decided
that even if it does cost a bit more to heat the whole house, it's
not worth it. Of course with different fuels and rates, the situation
could be different.

That was my experience too. Some merchandisers have done well
promoting those Amish made heater cabinet things as a way to reduce cost.

Right now at 2.60 a gallon and .196 KWH a million btu is $23 for oil
versus $57.44 for electric.
For anyone interested in doing a compaison:
http://www.cozycabin.net/index.asp?r=0&pid=19&calc=yes

Next year I'm considering a pellet stove in the family room, not to save
money, but to increase comfort in the family room. That room tends to
be cooker as it is on the north side and has an 8' slider with a view to
the woods. I have a wood stove now, but it has become too much of a
PITA dragging in wood.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, February 15, 2015 at 11:19:33 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

I just looked at my latest gas bill and my usage for Jan last year
was about 27% less than this year. It was 1 deg colder this Jan, but
it looks like maybe that electric heater cut the gas bill more than I
thought. But still, it amounts to spending $52 more this Jan than last.
Factor in that it was 1 deg colder, IDK what difference that makes, but
maybe $5? So, the electric heater might be saving $45 in gas, but I
think that's about what my electric bill went up. Plus with the gas,
the whole house is warm.

That calculator is a good link. For what it's worth, I ran relative
numbers for here in NJ:

Electric heat .13 kwh 100% $38
Oil $3 gal 80% $27
Nat gas .96 therm 93% $10

Glad I have gas.....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/15/2015 11:52 AM, trader_4 wrote:
I just looked at my latest gas bill and my usage for Jan last year
was about 27% less than this year. It was 1 deg colder this Jan, but
it looks like maybe that electric heater cut the gas bill more than I
thought. But still, it amounts to spending $52 more this Jan than last.
Factor in that it was 1 deg colder, IDK what difference that makes, but
maybe $5? So, the electric heater might be saving $45 in gas, but I
think that's about what my electric bill went up. Plus with the gas,
the whole house is warm.

That calculator is a good link. For what it's worth, I ran relative
numbers for here in NJ:

Electric heat .13 kwh 100% $38
Oil $3 gal 80% $27
Nat gas .96 therm 93% $10

Glad I have gas.....

About three months ago, I checked on natural gas
prices. My market has different suppliers. Wonders,
my gas co is higher than the others. The utility
won't change until the next meter reading, so
I'm still on expensive heat. Reminds me to check
and compare every summer. Before heating season.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bobbo wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Sounds funny disconnecting good working central system and switching to
potable heater for 10 years? In the process of converting to use oil?
I don't remember ever hearing about dual fuel, oil/gas furnace. Is it
oil burning or gas burning now? Duct work may have some holes? Is it
rusting? Damaged? Lots of ???!

Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Our electric power costs 0.079 per Kwh fixed
NG per Giga Joule costs ~2.50 variable rate.
No oil furnace around here. They do in the East.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Feb 2015 12:07:15 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Bobbo wrote:
[...]

Likely been using the .22 to get the 'possums and 'coons put from
under the trailer for the last 10 years.
How many holes in the trailer itself?
For the cost of heating the place with electricity for 1 year he could
have put a new gas heat system in.
Mabee their's holes somewhere else too? (if he combed his hair
differently they might not show?)

Heater servicing PB2 Home Repair 21 October 13th 09 12:14 AM
Heater servicing PB2 Home Repair 0 October 6th 09 02:57 PM
Our water heater is 14 years old - replace it? [email protected] Home Repair 0 November 18th 08 04:54 PM
Hot Water Heater Let Loose on New Years Day DrDad Home Repair 23 January 7th 07 07:08 PM
6 Water Heater failures in 14 years! [email protected] Home Repair 11 July 19th 06 08:57 PM