Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default What servicing will my heater need after 10 years of non-use?

On 2/15/2015 1:44 AM, Bobbo wrote:
I haven't used my central heater for about 10 years (been relying on
electric space heaters) I already know I have to have a plumber hook up
the gas line, but what steps should be taken before firing it up again
after so long?
I assume my ducts will need thorough cleaning. What about the heater
itself? It can use oil or gas, I used oil before but was in the process of
switching to gas when things happened (money ran out etc) I assume it
would have to be thoroughly cleaned and checked for safety or any possible
leaks.
Any idea what the cost of this gargantuan effort would be? (Would it be
cheaper to have a whole new system installed?)
This is a 10x50 mobile home so the duct cleaning would probably fall on
the low end of pricing. There may be some holes in some of the ducts. I'm
hoping all this can be done for less than $1000

I can't imagine electric heaters being cheaper than other fuels. Do you
have natural gas available?

The burner and heat exchanger should be cleaned, of course, blower
checked and possibly lubricated. Any service tech can do in in an hour
or two.

As for replacing, new units are more efficient, but I don't know about
the units that are used in trailers.