Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What servicing will my heater need after 10 years of non-use?

On Sun, 15 Feb 2015 12:07:15 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Bobbo wrote:
I haven't used my central heater for about 10 years (been relying on
electric space heaters) I already know I have to have a plumber hook up
the gas line, but what steps should be taken before firing it up again
after so long?
I assume my ducts will need thorough cleaning. What about the heater
itself? It can use oil or gas, I used oil before but was in the process of
switching to gas when things happened (money ran out etc) I assume it
would have to be thoroughly cleaned and checked for safety or any possible
leaks.
Any idea what the cost of this gargantuan effort would be? (Would it be
cheaper to have a whole new system installed?)
This is a 10x50 mobile home so the duct cleaning would probably fall on
the low end of pricing. There may be some holes in some of the ducts. I'm
hoping all this can be done for less than $1000

Hi,
Sounds funny disconnecting good working central system and switching to
potable heater for 10 years? In the process of converting to use oil?
I don't remember ever hearing about dual fuel, oil/gas furnace. Is it
oil burning or gas burning now? Duct work may have some holes? Is it
rusting? Damaged? Lots of ???!

Likely been using the .22 to get the 'possums and 'coons put from
under the trailer for the last 10 years.
How many holes in the trailer itself?
For the cost of heating the place with electricity for 1 year he could
have put a new gas heat system in.
Mabee their's holes somewhere else too? (if he combed his hair
differently they might not show?)