Posted to alt.home.repair

Default daisy chaining duplex GFI

I'm working on our master bath, wife wanted a second duplex outlet near
the vanity. OK, a PITA but no problem.

My plan was to daisy chain off the existing GFI outlet, running romex from
it to the desired location. Problem is, the existing outlet has two romex
cables coming into it...one is standard 12/2 (plus ground) - call it "A" -
which is attached to one side of the outlet. The other is 12/4 romex
(with two ground wires), call it "B". One pair of black & white "B" wires
go to the side of the duplex opposite "A"; they then are pigtailed to the
second pair of black & white "B" wires.

I'm guessing that romex "A" is what is feeding the existing outlet and
that the "B" wires go somewhere - I know not where - to feed whatever.

If I want the potential duplex to be GFI, I need to feed it from the
outgoing side of the existing outlet, correct? And how can I tell for
sure which romex - "A" or "B" is feeding the existing outlet?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

dadiOH wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Can't you find a marking like LINE(your A side) and LOADB). Sounds like
that one is already daisy chained to some other outlet. If you want to
find which outlet is connected, trip it by pushing the test button,
and find out which outlet lost power.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony hit the nail on the head. Somewhere on the existing gfci body it has to say "line" and "load", Flashlight or other bright light should make it easily visible.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks, folks. I'll take a closer look at the existing receptacle. Also,
just after I hit "send" for the OP it dawned on me that I could just take
off the wires, turn on the breaker and check. duh...

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 15:19:15 -0500, "dadiOH"
wrote:

"dadiOH" wrote in message

[...]

Or trip the gfi and check with the GFI tripped you would only have
power on the "line in" side.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"dadiOH" wrote in message

[...]

Even easier. Thanks.

Who says newsgroups aren't useful?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"dadiOH" wrote in message

[...]

Dumb questions will get dumb answers, LOL!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/14/2015 10:31 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:
dadiOH wrote:
Thanks, folks. I'll take a closer look at the existing receptacle.
Also, just after I hit "send" for the OP it dawned on me that I could
just take off the wires, turn on the breaker and check. duh...
Or trip the gfi and check with the GFI tripped you would only have
power on the "line in" side.

Even easier. Thanks.

Who says newsgroups aren't useful?

Hi,
Dumb questions will get dumb answers, LOL!

Do not perform this test while in bath tub full
of warm water.

-
..
Christopher A. Young