Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Flattened Sofa Seat Cushions?

SWMBO and I often roost on our three cushion LR sofa reading or watching
TV. We sit on the end cushions because a small coffee table in front of
the sofa keeps us from being able to stretch our legs out if we sits
closer together.

As a result the two end cushions have flattened out noticeably compared
to the center cushion. We can't swap the center with one of the ends
because the end cushions are L shaped with small sideways projections at
their front edges.

The fabric on this sofa is in good shape, plus we have a matching love
seat in the room which only seats guests and is in great shape. So, it
seems a waste to get rid of both of them just because of those two
flattened cushions.

Are there still upholsterers who regularly unstitch cushions, replace
the padding and resew them, or is that a bygone art?

Thanks guys,

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
[...]

Are you sure those cushions don't have a zippered opening ? I've never seen
one that doesn't . And yes , you do need that fabric covering the foam , it
lets it slide against the cover to prevent bunching .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/12/2015 04:07 PM, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
[...]

I have a friend who does that for a living...she keeps pretty busy.

I am sure there are plenty of re-upholsterers in your town.

BTW: At work , my office chair was horribly beat up. Over the years I
watched everyone else get new chairs. but mine was never replaced.
Because I spent most of my time "on the road" it never really bothered
me and I knew that to get a new one all I'd have to do is ask...but I
turned it into a "how long will this take" game.

After who knows six or eight years...one day I was shocked to find a new
chair there. Guess what? It was not comfortable like the old one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
SWMBO and I often roost on our three cushion LR sofa
reading or
watching TV. We sit on the end cushions because a small
coffee table
in front of the sofa keeps us from being able to stretch
our legs out
if we sits closer together.

As a result the two end cushions have flattened out
noticeably
compared to the center cushion. We can't swap the center
with one of
the ends because the end cushions are L shaped with small
sideways
projections at their front edges.

Have you tried flipping end to end? You should do this on a
regular basis, even the center one, to get an even wear on
the cushions

The fabric on this sofa is in good shape, plus we have a
matching love
seat in the room which only seats guests and is in great
shape. So, it
seems a waste to get rid of both of them just because of
those two
flattened cushions.

Will the loveseat cushions fit he sofa?

Are there still upholsterers who regularly unstitch
cushions, replace
the padding and resew them, or is that a bygone art?

Yes and it maybe your cushions just need a wrap of dacron or
even the foam replaced. cost will vary with where in the
country you are and the quality of foam that you get.
I would recommend an HR foam, a 2.5-3 lb density depending
on the firmness you'd like. Don't waste money on a poly
foam. Also, I haven't seen a seat cushion in a sofa made in
the last 40 years that didn't have a zipper
Look on Angies list or Houzz.com to find an upholsterer in
your area or just google and take your chances.
HTH

Thanks guys,

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry Coombs wrote:
Jeff Wisnia wrote:
[...]

Actually, you need a fiber or dacron wrap on it to protect
the foam.
The fiber/dacron wrap keeps the foam from drying out and
adds additional softness
The core could then have a muslin ticking, but it's not
nesscesary.
The only cushion that would bunch up would be a down cushion
and would be remedied by fluffing it

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 12 Feb 2015 17:07:05 -0500, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

Are there still upholsterers who regularly unstitch cushions, replace
the padding and resew them, or is that a bygone art?

Thanks guys,

Sure. I have a friend who doees that and some related stuff in
Baltmore.

And there are auto upholsterers who might do that stuff too.