Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Attic drop-down door

I seem to be up in the attic many many times a week and doggone it,
the 'spreader blade' wore out and is now bent.

Easy enough to push back in place but it soon bends again.

Place in town has replacements...so next time I'm in the area I'll get a
new set.

To replace... I see that I will have to first remove the spring and the
best way to do that is with the door closed to minimize tension.

What that means is I will have to close myself up in the attic to do this.

Told my wife she better rescue me it I screw something up and can't get
out of the attic.

If my postings here disappear for a week or so, please send out a search
party.

My house will be easy to spot as my wife will be having a HUGE celebration!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, February 5, 2015 at 10:24:41 AM UTC-6, philo wrote:
I seem to be up in the attic many many times a week and doggone it,
the 'spreader blade' wore out and is now bent.

Easy enough to push back in place but it soon bends again.

Place in town has replacements...so next time I'm in the area I'll get a
new set.

To replace... I see that I will have to first remove the spring and the
best way to do that is with the door closed to minimize tension.

What that means is I will have to close myself up in the attic to do this.

Told my wife she better rescue me it I screw something up and can't get
out of the attic.

If my postings here disappear for a week or so, please send out a search
party.

My house will be easy to spot as my wife will be having a HUGE celebration!

May be you should have this on FB, and your friends can come help if your wife leaves you up there?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 05 Feb 2015 10:24:35 -0600, philo wrote:

I seem to be up in the attic many many times a week and doggone it,
the 'spreader blade' wore out and is now bent.

Easy enough to push back in place but it soon bends again.

Place in town has replacements...so next time I'm in the area I'll get a
new set.

To replace... I see that I will have to first remove the spring and the
best way to do that is with the door closed to minimize tension.

What that means is I will have to close myself up in the attic to do this.

Told my wife she better rescue me it I screw something up and can't get
out of the attic.

If my postings here disappear for a week or so, please send out a search
party.

My house will be easy to spot as my wife will be having a HUGE celebration!

Take your cell phone and a drywall jab saw in case she decides to
leave you locked up. g
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/05/2015 10:31 AM, bob_villa wrote:
[...]

Darn good idea, thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/05/2015 10:37 AM, Oren wrote:

My house will be easy to spot as my wife will be having a HUGE celebration!

Take your cell phone and a drywall jab saw in case she decides to
leave you locked up. g

I turned in my cell phone when I retired and though my wife gave me her
old one, I never got around to activating it.

Do have a Sawzall though...but if she cuts to power to the attic...

I'm a goner.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, February 5, 2015 at 11:41:18 AM UTC-5, philo wrote:
On 02/05/2015 10:37 AM, Oren wrote:

My house will be easy to spot as my wife will be having a HUGE celebration!

Take your cell phone and a drywall jab saw in case she decides to
leave you locked up. g

I turned in my cell phone when I retired and though my wife gave me her
old one, I never got around to activating it.

Do have a Sawzall though...but if she cuts to power to the attic...

I'm a goner.

I know people who didn't need a Sawzall to get from the attic
to the living space. And they weren't even trying to get through.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/05/2015 10:48 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Thursday, February 5, 2015 at 11:41:18 AM UTC-5, philo wrote:
On 02/05/2015 10:37 AM, Oren wrote:

My house will be easy to spot as my wife will be having a HUGE celebration!

Take your cell phone and a drywall jab saw in case she decides to
leave you locked up. g

I turned in my cell phone when I retired and though my wife gave me her
old one, I never got around to activating it.

Do have a Sawzall though...but if she cuts to power to the attic...

I'm a goner.

I know people who didn't need a Sawzall to get from the attic
to the living space. And they weren't even trying to get through.

That almost happened to me once.

Before I put a floor in the attic I once slipped off the joists.
I did not go through as the house is plaster and lath...but every night
when I look at the bedroom ceiling and see the crack, I am reminded of
my mis-step
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, February 5, 2015 at 10:54:26 AM UTC-6, philo wrote:

That almost happened to me once.

Before I put a floor in the attic I once slipped off the joists.
I did not go through as the house is plaster and lath...but every night
when I look at the bedroom ceiling and see the crack, I am reminded of
my mis-step

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HkO5gtliYc
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/05/2015 11:00 AM, bob_villa wrote:
On Thursday, February 5, 2015 at 10:54:26 AM UTC-6, philo wrote:

That almost happened to me once.

Before I put a floor in the attic I once slipped off the joists.
I did not go through as the house is plaster and lath...but every night
when I look at the bedroom ceiling and see the crack, I am reminded of
my mis-step

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HkO5gtliYc

That ha snot yet happened here.

Worst that happened is I shut the cat up there for a few hours.
Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote:

I seem to be up in the attic many many times a week and doggone it,
the 'spreader blade' wore out and is now bent.

Easy enough to push back in place but it soon bends again.

Place in town has replacements...so next time I'm in the area I'll
get a new set.

To replace... I see that I will have to first remove the spring and
the best way to do that is with the door closed to minimize tension.

What that means is I will have to close myself up in the attic to do
this.

Told my wife she better rescue me it I screw something up and can't
get out of the attic.

If my postings here disappear for a week or so, please send out a
search party.

My house will be easy to spot as my wife will be having a HUGE
celebration!

Take all the credit cards up there with you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 5 Feb 2015 18:45:57 +0000 (UTC), "badgolferman"
wrote:

My house will be easy to spot as my wife will be having a HUGE
celebration!

Take all the credit cards up there with you.

I like it! Great home repair advice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 05 Feb 2015 10:24:35 -0600, philo wrote:

I seem to be up in the attic many many times a week and doggone it,
the 'spreader blade' wore out and is now bent.

Easy enough to push back in place but it soon bends again.

Place in town has replacements...so next time I'm in the area I'll get a
new set.

To replace... I see that I will have to first remove the spring and the
best way to do that is with the door closed to minimize tension.

What that means is I will have to close myself up in the attic to do this.

Told my wife she better rescue me it I screw something up and can't get
out of the attic.

If my postings here disappear for a week or so, please send out a search
party.

My house will be easy to spot as my wife will be having a HUGE celebration!

You don't need those drop down stairs to get out of the attic. All you
need to do is not step on a ceiling joist and gravity will do the
rest. However, some minor drywall repair may be necessary. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

You don't need those drop down stairs to get out of the attic. All you
need to do is not step on a ceiling joist and gravity will do the
rest. However, some minor drywall repair may be necessary. ;-)

I actually recently fell part way through.

I had planks across the joists to walk on and I am always carefull.
I did not mis step but this time one of the planks BROKE as I put my weight on it. It happened in a split (no pun) second.

I fell part way through.
Luckily I was not seriously hurt, but it did make a big mess of the sheetrock.

This is not a joke.

Be careful and make sure whatever you have up there to walk on is up to the task.

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 05 Feb 2015 10:41:14 -0600, philo wrote:

On 02/05/2015 10:37 AM, Oren wrote:

My house will be easy to spot as my wife will be having a HUGE celebration!

Take your cell phone and a drywall jab saw in case she decides to
leave you locked up. g

I turned in my cell phone when I retired and though my wife gave me her
old one, I never got around to activating it.

Do have a Sawzall though...but if she cuts to power to the attic...

I'm a goner.

Do you have a cordless phone?. Wait until she stops talking, so she
won't think to unplug the base station.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 05 Feb 2015 14:54:41 -0600, philo wrote:

Well, I did post my little joke on Facebook and it turns out that a
friend of mine who apparently has the same brand of door, also has a bad
spreader blade.

I used to have a folding attic door/ladder, and I considered getting one
for here. What is a spreader blade?

Since they come as a set, we thought that maybe we could
split it since we just need one apiece.

Of course both of us need the left arm.

Left arm. So it has left and right.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 05 Feb 2015 18:51:11 -0500, micky
wrote:

What is a spreader blade?

I wondered too. I was thinking something like a piano hinge.

http://www.robertkarl.org/woodworkingblog/uploaded_images/PianoHinge-797236.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What is a spreader blade?

I wondered too. I was thinking something like a piano hinge.

http://www.robertkarl.org/woodworkingblog/uploaded_images/PianoHinge-797236.jpg

Not a hinge, but the "arms" so to speak

http://www.industrialladder.com/user...A969063DEB6 F

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 05 Feb 2015 18:38:30 -0600, philo wrote:

Not a hinge, but the "arms" so to speak

http://www.industrialladder.com/user...A969063DEB6 F

Is there a way to disengage the springs (remove) and repair below so
the bride can't lock you in the attic like a crazy uncle? G
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/05/2015 06:49 PM, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 05 Feb 2015 18:38:30 -0600, philo wrote:

Not a hinge, but the "arms" so to speak

http://www.industrialladder.com/user...A969063DEB6 F

Is there a way to disengage the springs (remove) and repair below so
the bride can't lock you in the attic like a crazy uncle? G

Basically all I have to do up in the attic is remove the spring.
Once I do that, I can open the door and work from below.

I have not bought the parts yet and am in no rush, the door has been
like this for over a year and I can just keep bending it back in shape
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/5/2015 11:48 AM, trader_4 wrote:

I know people who didn't need a Sawzall to get from the attic
to the living space. And they weren't even trying to get through.

I saw it happen once. Wife's uncle was up there for some reason and
next thing we wee is his leg sticking through. His wife went on
bitching for about a half hour after.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, February 6, 2015 at 11:42:54 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/5/2015 11:48 AM, trader_4 wrote:

I know people who didn't need a Sawzall to get from the attic
to the living space. And they weren't even trying to get through.

I saw it happen once. Wife's uncle was up there for some reason and
next thing we wee is his leg sticking through. His wife went on
bitching for about a half hour after.

Was it his leg or his we wee that was sticking through?
Posted to alt.home.repair

posted for all of us...

On Thu, 05 Feb 2015 14:54:41 -0600, philo wrote:

On 02/05/2015 12:33 PM,
wrote:
On Thu, 5 Feb 2015 08:48:23 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

On Thursday, February 5, 2015 at 11:41:18 AM UTC-5, philo wrote:
On 02/05/2015 10:37 AM, Oren wrote:

My house will be easy to spot as my wife will be having a HUGE celebration!

Take your cell phone and a drywall jab saw in case she decides to
leave you locked up. g

I turned in my cell phone when I retired and though my wife gave me her
old one, I never got around to activating it.

Do have a Sawzall though...but if she cuts to power to the attic...

I'm a goner.

I know people who didn't need a Sawzall to get from the attic
to the living space. And they weren't even trying to get through.

When my wife was in the HVAC business the line was "OK the return goes
here"

Well, I did post my little joke on Facebook and it turns out that a
friend of mine who apparently has the same brand of door, also has a bad
spreader blade. Since they come as a set, we thought that maybe we could
split it since we just need one apiece.

Of course both of us need the left arm.

I had a set of cheap wood attic stairs in this house when I moved in
and after a number of years of hating them I bought some metal
Loiusville steps and I never looked back.

+1 on that. Cheap stairs are just that. I found that the holes in the
cheapies are too big and the cheap metal has to take the load; instead of
proper pivot joint.

Why not get together w/ neighbor and replace both?

--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/06/2015 03:38 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

Well, I did post my little joke on Facebook and it turns out that a
friend of mine who apparently has the same brand of door, also has a bad
spreader blade. Since they come as a set, we thought that maybe we could
split it since we just need one apiece.

Of course both of us need the left arm.

I had a set of cheap wood attic stairs in this house when I moved in
and after a number of years of hating them I bought some metal
Loiusville steps and I never looked back.

+1 on that. Cheap stairs are just that. I found that the holes in the
cheapies are too big and the cheap metal has to take the load; instead of
proper pivot joint.

Why not get together w/ neighbor and replace both?

snip

As to the hole, there is no wobble, so the wood is handling the load OK.
The spreader bar is just plain flimsy.I've seen those all-metal stairs
and I'm pretty sure they use the same type of cheap-ass spreader bar. At
any rate to replace it is going to be easier and less expensive than
replacing the whole stairway.
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob_villa wrote:
On Thursday, February 5, 2015 at 10:54:26 AM UTC-6, philo wrote:

That almost happened to me once.

Before I put a floor in the attic I once slipped off the joists.
I did not go through as the house is plaster and lath...but every night
when I look at the bedroom ceiling and see the crack, I am reminded of
my mis-step

That reminds me of the apocryphal story where the wife, in the middle of
coitus says, "Sam, the ceiling needs painting."

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HkO5gtliYc

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/6/2015 5:54 PM, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

That reminds me of the apocryphal story where the wife, in the middle of
coitus says, "Sam, the ceiling needs painting."

Jeff

I heard it as Max. Same general idea. End of a
long list of "what does a ## girl say during"

French, Ooh, la la.
Italian, Mama Mia.

Etc....

Jewish girl says "Max, the ceiling needs painting."

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 05 Feb 2015 10:24:35 -0600, philo wrote:

I seem to be up in the attic many many times a week and doggone it,
the 'spreader blade' wore out and is now bent.

Easy enough to push back in place but it soon bends again.

Place in town has replacements...so next time I'm in the area I'll get a
new set.

To replace... I see that I will have to first remove the spring and the
best way to do that is with the door closed to minimize tension.

What that means is I will have to close myself up in the attic to do this.

Told my wife she better rescue me it I screw something up and can't get
out of the attic.

You've got it easy. If I go up in the attic and then knock over the
ladder, I don't have anyone to rescue me.

I've taken to unlocking the front door and taking a cordless phone with
me. (The hard-wired phone I put there wasn't working anymore.)

But then I got fat and had to saw 2" notches in the closet shelf, so now
the ladder is much more unlikely to fall over.

If my postings here disappear for a week or so, please send out a search
party.

You got it. Be sure to post your address.

My house will be easy to spot as my wife will be having a HUGE celebration!

Maybe they'll hear you yelling.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, February 5, 2015 at 7:49:23 PM UTC-5, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 05 Feb 2015 18:38:30 -0600, philo wrote:

Not a hinge, but the "arms" so to speak

http://www.industrialladder.com/user...A969063DEB6 F

Is there a way to disengage the springs (remove) and repair below so
the bride can't lock you in the attic like a crazy uncle? G

Capitalist piece of ****. Get the fuc out of my country

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Attic drop-down door fixed it

Now fixed

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1i8n4r42fl...erbar.JPG?dl=0

I decided not to get a new spreader bar as the replacement would have
been as flimsy as the original.

In the time it would have taken me to drive to the parts depot, I
disassembled it and plated in two places... put it back together and it
works better than new.

Wife cooperated and did not leave me locked in the attic...but before
she opened the door asked if I would take her to lunch.
Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote:
Now fixed

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1i8n4r42fl...erbar.JPG?dl=0

I decided not to get a new spreader bar as the replacement
would have
been as flimsy as the original.

In the time it would have taken me to drive to the parts
depot, I
disassembled it and plated in two places... put it back
together and
it works better than new.

Wife cooperated and did not leave me locked in the
attic...but before
she opened the door asked if I would take her to lunch.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Smart man : )

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07 Feb 2015, philo wrote in alt.home.repair:

Now fixed

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1i8n4r42fl...erbar.JPG?dl=0

I decided not to get a new spreader bar as the replacement would
have been as flimsy as the original.

In the time it would have taken me to drive to the parts depot, I
disassembled it and plated in two places... put it back together
and it works better than new.

So you reinforced the original arm with that one extra metal piece? Or
is there a second one, too? Were you able to buy those reinforcement
pieces as-is, or did you have to fabricate them?

I think my attic door needs a similar operation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/07/2015 01:43 PM, Nil wrote:
On 07 Feb 2015, philo wrote in alt.home.repair:

Now fixed

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1i8n4r42fl...erbar.JPG?dl=0

I decided not to get a new spreader bar as the replacement would
have been as flimsy as the original.

In the time it would have taken me to drive to the parts depot, I
disassembled it and plated in two places... put it back together
and it works better than new.

So you reinforced the original arm with that one extra metal piece? Or
is there a second one, too? Were you able to buy those reinforcement
pieces as-is, or did you have to fabricate them?

I think my attic door needs a similar operation.

I made two reinforcement pieces, just cut then to size with a Sawzall.
They were 1/16" thick... same thickness as the arm which really should
have been 1/8" anyway.

One of the pieces is visible in the photo and the other is on the part
of the arm that attaches to the spring, If you look close you will see
that it's doubled up.

From up inside the attic with the door closed,. the spring is easy to
take off and replace. Do not try it with the door open!
You will need an assistant to close and open the door for you.

On the far left you will see a nut and bolt. Originally there was a
rivet there which was easy to drill off.

In the center of the photo is a lag bolt (3 1/2") that I put there to
replace the pin that fell out of the plate. I lost it but it would not
have worked anyway due to the increased thickness of the doubled up arm.

I also drilled a small but deep pilot hole for the lag bolt.

My entire time fooling with it was maybe an hour.

It works better than new because more than likely the arm was warped
from the first time it was used. I left the other spreader arm alone as
it is still ok.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 07 Feb 2015 15:12:56 -0600, philo wrote:

[...]

From up inside the attic with the door closed,. the spring is easy to
take off and replace. Do not try it with the door open!
You will need an assistant to close and open the door for you.

On the far left you will see a nut and bolt. Originally there was a
rivet there which was easy to drill off.

In the center of the photo is a lag bolt (3 1/2") that I put there to
replace the pin that fell out of the plate. I lost it but it would not
have worked anyway due to the increased thickness of the doubled up arm.

I also drilled a small but deep pilot hole for the lag bolt.

My entire time fooling with it was maybe an hour.

It works better than new because more than likely the arm was warped
from the first time it was used. I left the other spreader arm alone as
it is still ok.

Good job. Now ask the wife if she will take you to lunch

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/07/2015 03:37 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

From up inside the attic with the door closed,. the spring is easy to
take off and replace. Do not try it with the door open!
You will need an assistant to close and open the door for you.

On the far left you will see a nut and bolt. Originally there was a
rivet there which was easy to drill off.

In the center of the photo is a lag bolt (3 1/2") that I put there to
replace the pin that fell out of the plate. I lost it but it would not
have worked anyway due to the increased thickness of the doubled up arm.

I also drilled a small but deep pilot hole for the lag bolt.

My entire time fooling with it was maybe an hour.

It works better than new because more than likely the arm was warped
from the first time it was used. I left the other spreader arm alone as
it is still ok.

Good job. Now ask the wife if she will take you to lunch

We walked there together and I paid.

Once I made a bet with her with the loser buying lunch.

When she lost the bet and had to pay, she realized I's have paid anyway
if we had not bet.

She nver fell for that one again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 07 Feb 2015 16:49:55 -0600, philo wrote:

We walked there together and I paid.

Once I made a bet with her with the loser buying lunch.

When she lost the bet and had to pay, she realized I's have paid anyway
if we had not bet.

She nver fell for that one again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih6LxwdwvlA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 07 Feb 2015 00:07:09 -0500, wrote:

On Fri, 06 Feb 2015 22:03:09 -0500, micky
wrote:

You've got it easy. If I go up in the attic and then knock over the
ladder, I don't have anyone to rescue me.

I've taken to unlocking the front door and taking a cordless phone with
me. (The hard-wired phone I put there wasn't working anymore.)

If you are that worried about it, why not just keep a rope in the

That's not a bad idea.

The one time I did knock over the ladder, I could lower myself part way,
although the shelf was in the way, pushing me up near the top of closet
door frame, and jump down the rest of the way. The problem was I had
not enough control to avoid landing on the ladder. A good way to break
an ankle. But the ladder has empty spots between the rungs, and I
didn't hurt anything.

When I lived on the 5th floor in Brooklyn, for some reason I had bought
a 100 foot rope, and I kept that next to the bed, in case fire meant
that I couldn't go otu the door and couldn't make it to the fire escape
either. There was a long 1x8 shelf next to the window, maybe resting
on the radiator, and I figured I could tie the rop, in the middle to the
radiator or shelf or both, and go down the rope. But there was no
fire.

attic you can slide down or one of those rope ladders people keep for
2d floor escapes.

I can make you a heluva deal on some 1.5" poly rope that is easy to
climb.

I'll keep that in mind.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

You've got it easy. If I go up in the attic and then knock over the
ladder, I don't have anyone to rescue me.

I've taken to unlocking the front door and taking a cordless phone with
me. (The hard-wired phone I put there wasn't working anymore.)

If you are that worried about it, why not just keep a rope in the

That's not a bad idea.

The one time I did knock over the ladder, I could lower myself part way,
although the shelf was in the way, pushing me up near the top of closet
door frame, and jump down the rest of the way. The problem was I had
not enough control to avoid landing on the ladder. A good way to break
an ankle. But the ladder has empty spots between the rungs, and I
didn't hurt anything.

Before the pull-down door was installed, that room had been my
daughter's bedroom. After she grew up and moved out, the room was
converted to a studio for my wife.

When I bought the house there was a 'drop-ceiling'. To get into the
attic I had to move one ceiling tile, then remove the wooden attic
door. One day I was too lazy to get the tall ladder because there was
already a shorter ladder in the room.

When I was lowering myself down I could not quite reach the ladder, so I
slipped and fell. Instinctively I grabbed the false ceiling and took the
whole thing down. My daughter was impressed.