Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Attic drop-down door

On Sat, 07 Feb 2015 00:07:09 -0500, wrote:

On Fri, 06 Feb 2015 22:03:09 -0500, micky
wrote:

You've got it easy. If I go up in the attic and then knock over the
ladder, I don't have anyone to rescue me.

I've taken to unlocking the front door and taking a cordless phone with
me. (The hard-wired phone I put there wasn't working anymore.)

If you are that worried about it, why not just keep a rope in the

That's not a bad idea.

The one time I did knock over the ladder, I could lower myself part way,
although the shelf was in the way, pushing me up near the top of closet
door frame, and jump down the rest of the way. The problem was I had
not enough control to avoid landing on the ladder. A good way to break
an ankle. But the ladder has empty spots between the rungs, and I
didn't hurt anything.

When I lived on the 5th floor in Brooklyn, for some reason I had bought
a 100 foot rope, and I kept that next to the bed, in case fire meant
that I couldn't go otu the door and couldn't make it to the fire escape
either. There was a long 1x8 shelf next to the window, maybe resting
on the radiator, and I figured I could tie the rop, in the middle to the
radiator or shelf or both, and go down the rope. But there was no
fire.

attic you can slide down or one of those rope ladders people keep for
2d floor escapes.

I can make you a heluva deal on some 1.5" poly rope that is easy to
climb.

I'll keep that in mind.