Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Superglue versus super glue gel

I was in the store tonight, they have
super Glue and the gel stuff. Is the
gel worth the extra cost?

Not a huge difference. But even so....

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 04 Feb 2015 21:07:34 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

I was in the store tonight, they have
super Glue and the gel stuff. Is the
gel worth the extra cost?

Not a huge difference. But even so....

I've never gotten anything to stick with super glue, not even my
fingers. Haven't used the gel So why did I post?

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 04 Feb 2015 19:07:34 -0700, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

I was in the store tonight, they have
super Glue and the gel stuff. Is the
gel worth the extra cost?

Not a huge difference. But even so...

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

No, not worth the extra cost for adhesion, but worth the extra cost to
keep the stuff fromrunning off and gpomg everywhere.

I talked once with the daughter of the inventor of superglue. She told me
that her father had to 'back off' the adhesion for customer safety. Too
many people were getting their fingers, etc glued together and rather than
apply acetone to break the adhesion, they'd simply pull their fingers
apart, which caused the epidermis to simply strip off and you ended up
with what felt like a broken blister - exposed LIVE skin. So,...the
attorney's convinced him to change the formula, dummying it down to the
slightly adhesive stuff you buy today, not the original stick your car to
the ceiling stuff.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
news
I was in the store tonight, they have
super Glue and the gel stuff. Is the
gel worth the extra cost?

Not a huge difference. But even so....

I would think the consideration would be the intended purpose rather than
the cost. If the surfaces are smooth, why would one want the gel? One of
the things I like about super glue is the way in wicks into tiny
openings...gel wouldn't wick. Non-gel can work well on less than smooth
surfaces too if you prepare the surface...

In conjunction with my photography, I sometimes had to make frames,
generally largish ones (up to 40x60). I ordered the frame pieces from a
stock house, they cut to size on a guillotine. Frame wood is generally
quite soft and the cut edges wind up rough. My solution was to rub a
stick of chalk over them, filling up the hollows; gently blow off excess,
apply super glue and join. The glue wicks through the chalk binding it to
itself and continues into the wood, binding the thin chalk layer to the
wood. All my frames were joined this way, no nails, none ever failed.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I was in the store tonight, they have
super Glue and the gel stuff. Is the
gel worth the extra cost?

Not a huge difference. But even so....

I've never gotten anything to I'm trying to figure

out why you center posted, and didn't delete the trailing
text to make it eaier to find your text. But that's a
question for another day, I guess? stick with super glue,
not even my
fingers. Haven't used the gel So why did I post?

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/5/2015 5:48 AM, RobertMacy wrote:
No, not worth the extra cost for adhesion, but worth the extra cost to
keep the stuff fromrunning off and gpomg everywhere.

I talked once with the daughter of the inventor of superglue. She told
me that her father had to 'back off' the adhesion for customer safety.
Too many people were getting their fingers, etc glued together and
rather than apply acetone to break the adhesion, they'd simply pull
their fingers apart, which caused the epidermis to simply strip off and
you ended up with what felt like a broken blister - exposed LIVE skin.
So,...the attorney's convinced him to change the formula, dummying it
down to the slightly adhesive stuff you buy today, not the original
stick your car to the ceiling stuff.

You know, I find that totally believable. I've not
had much success sticking things with the stuff
they sell now. Reminds me to buy a couple more
bottles of acetone nail polish remover.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/5/2015 6:12 AM, dadiOH wrote:
[...]

That's totally creative. I would never have
considered that. Wonder if that chalk and
glue can be applied to other situations?

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote: "I've never gotten anything to stick with super glue, not even"

Enlighten us, please do, with what you haven't gotten to stick? Plastics,
no problem here. Composites, no problem. Ceramics, porous, crazy
glue just gets sponged up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Cyanoacrylates are useful as a liquid bandage.

Personally, I don't use cyanoacrylates as I've never had a repair that
lasted. I'll use a quick set epoxy instead if I need a quick repair.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:

That's totally creative. I would never have
considered that. Wonder if that chalk and
glue can be applied to other situations?

Superglue and baking soda has been used by modelers for decades. The baking
soda accelerates the polymerization of the glue and also acts as a filler in
a less than optimal joint or can make a strengthening fillet. It
particularly useful when gluing up a wing from balsa ribs.

To some extent it is a homemade gel glue. Typically if you're building a
plane you get a big bottle of CA glue. The thin type as the most versatile
as you can use it to laminated a fabric strengthener to the wing root joint
and use it with the baking soda for joints that require more body.

I'm not Sally Safety, but when you're using a lot of the stuff like for the
wing root lamination, believe the notes about adequate ventilation.

Before it became a household item we used the original Eastman formulation
for gluing up o-rings out of round neopreme stock. I got my unsuspecting
girl friend to glue her fingers together in the classic trick. She still
married me, showing a distinct lack of judgement.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/5/2015 8:35 AM, Frank wrote:

Cyanoacrylates are useful as a liquid bandage.

Personally, I don't use cyanoacrylates as I've never had a repair that
lasted. I'll use a quick set epoxy instead if I need a quick repair.

I've heard that some medical people prefer
super glue for wound closure. I remember
getting stitches when I was a kid, and
I'd likely also prefer it.

Epoxy is good for bonding repairs. I've
used Gorilla Glue on occasion. Buy the
small container, it hardens while you
aren't using it, and it's better to throw
out small jar.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/5/2015 4:08 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

http://www.weicon.com/pages/en/produ...anacrylate.php

WEICON Contact Cyanoacrylate Adhesives should always be stored in a cool, dry and dark place.
The shelf life is at least 9 months if stored at room temperature (+18°C - +25°C).
If stored at +5°C (e.g. in a refrigerator), the shelf life can be extended to 12 months.
By freezing down to -20°C the adhesives can be stored for a nearly unlimited period.
However, they must then be brought to room temperature prior to use.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 05 Feb 2015 08:08:59 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

[...]

I have had good luck with a product called "last glue" and no luck
at all with consumer grade "crazy glue". I have had reasonable results
with Kroeger Inc. InstaCure. Both containers of MaxiCure hardened in
the bottle before I got to use it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The new UV cure adhesives show a lot of promise for "instant"
repairs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 05 Feb 2015 08:10:16 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

[...]

Baking soda is recommended filler for use with CA glues.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I was in the store tonight, they have
super Glue and the gel stuff. Is the
gel worth the extra cost?

Not a huge difference. But even so....

I've never gotten anything to I'm trying to figure

out why you center posted, and didn't delete the trailing
text

What trailing text? There was only your signature, and I usually let
signatures delete themselves. This time it didn't. I don't remember
if it usually does.

to make it eaier to find your text. But that's a
question for another day, I guess? stick with super glue,
not even my
fingers. Haven't used the gel So why did I post?

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Same trailing text as on this post.
And, you center posted AGAIN.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 05 Feb 2015 18:53:14 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 2/5/2015 5:57 PM, wrote:
The new UV cure adhesives show a

lot of promise for "instant"
repairs.

Some form of UV cure stuff is what my
dentist uses.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.
www.lds.org
.
.

Look up Bondic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/5/2015 8:14 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 05 Feb 2015 18:53:14 -0500, Stormin Mormon
Some form of UV cure stuff is what my
dentist uses.
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.
www.lds.org
.
.

Look up Bondic.

Don't give me orders. Only future
wife can do that.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:

If the old formula was better, maybe I shoudl hunt for some I bought 20
years ago. grin.

Go to a hobby shop. I've had good luck with Jet and HotStuff:

http://www.rcplanet.com/Chemicals_Ad...lue_s/3127.htm

There is a large selection of variants rather than the 1/8 ounce tube of
unknown provenance at the hardware store. R/C modellers tend to get very
****ed if their toys fall apart.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

And why isn't your signature properly marked to avoid this problem.

Keep working on this guy. It's kind of like everyone on this group trying to
correct the years long top-posting of one long time participant here.

By the way, I've found superglue works fine on the materials it is listed to use
it for. I've used it plenty of times to made O-rings out of round rubber for
hottub plumbing, and they last years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Back to the original question, the gel is very useful on vertical surfaces where the regular glue would just run down and stick to undesired surfaces.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/5/2015 8:35 AM, Frank wrote:

Cyanoacrylates are useful as a liquid bandage.

Personally, I don't use cyanoacrylates as I've never had a repair that
lasted. I'll use a quick set epoxy instead if I need a quick repair.

I've heard that some medical people prefer
super glue for wound closure. I remember
getting stitches when I was a kid, and
I'd likely also prefer it.

Epoxy is good for bonding repairs. I've
used Gorilla Glue on occasion. Buy the
small container, it hardens while you
aren't using it, and it's better to throw
out small jar.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

Gorilla glue with me has lasted longer than super glue but it is a poly
isocyanate and may not last as long as epoxy. Moisture causes
polymerization and they sell it in an HDPE squeeze bottle which is one
of the worst plastics they could use as moisture will permeate it.
Brand is confusing in recent years as they sell other glues under the
Gorilla label.

I don't see an expiration date on my bottle of Gorilla glue but I'd
guess that even an unopened bottle would harden within a few years.

Two part epoxies can last for decades.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 05 Feb 2015 20:25:27 -0700, rbowman wrote:

micky wrote:

If the old formula was better, maybe I shoudl hunt for some I bought 20
years ago. grin.

Go to a hobby shop. I've had good luck with Jet and HotStuff:

http://www.rcplanet.com/Chemicals_Ad...lue_s/3127.htm

I'll take a look. I go to a hobby shop to buy ambroid cement. Great
stuff.

There is a large selection of variants rather than the 1/8 ounce tube of
unknown provenance at the hardware store. R/C modellers tend to get very
****ed if their toys fall apart.

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:

I'll take a look. I go to a hobby shop to buy ambroid cement. Great
stuff.

http://www.ottertooth.com/Canoe_pages/ambroid.htm

Patching your canoe? I haven't used it in ages but I always like the smell.
Of course that was probably a blend of 57 carcinogenic hydrocarbons that was
dissolving my brain.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 06 Feb 2015 20:13:07 -0700, rbowman wrote:

micky wrote:

I'll take a look. I go to a hobby shop to buy ambroid cement. Great
stuff.

http://www.ottertooth.com/Canoe_pages/ambroid.htm

Patching your canoe?

It can do that too!?

I haven't used it in ages but I always like the smell.

Yeah, I like the smell too. Nothing that can make one high, I think,
before the lurkers go get some to sniiff it.

Of course that was probably a blend of 57 carcinogenic hydrocarbons that was
dissolving my brain.

I figure it was just amber, or one ingredient,

I'm not sure we're talking about the same stuff. Yours is called
ambroid glue and mentions canoes. Mine is ambroid cement, but the logo
is the same: Ambroid in an oval, with an eagle atop the oval.

Mine is good because it dries very quickly, doesn't require mixing,
won't bend but sticks to almost anything, holds firm but not so firm the
two parts can't be broken apart when one wants to.

It never dires out in the tube if the cap is on. Originally, I bought
two large tubes at the hardware store in downtown Brooklyn, Myrtle and
something. They were all beat up, lots of dents. They had two cases of
about 24 tubes each, all of htem beat up. I bought two big tubes and
finished the second tube about 20 years later, still good as new.

When I went to the hobby store, it was expensive, so since I haven't
been gluing so much lately, I only bought a small tube, but it's the
same stuff, just as good.

Super Glue Kevin Woodturning 0 March 29th 11 02:52 PM
Elmer's Ultimate Polyurethane Glue versus Ultimate Good-Performance Glue. mm Home Repair 12 January 14th 11 08:04 PM
Some of those "Super Glue' Krazy Glue" questions answered John B[_3_] Woodworking 0 September 5th 07 10:20 AM
Super glue and fibreglass mat [email protected] UK diy 7 June 23rd 06 12:42 PM
Super glue on a car dash Dave UK diy 12 March 1st 05 10:01 AM