Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Superglue versus super glue gel

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
news
I was in the store tonight, they have
super Glue and the gel stuff. Is the
gel worth the extra cost?

Not a huge difference. But even so....

I would think the consideration would be the intended purpose rather than
the cost. If the surfaces are smooth, why would one want the gel? One of
the things I like about super glue is the way in wicks into tiny
openings...gel wouldn't wick. Non-gel can work well on less than smooth
surfaces too if you prepare the surface...

In conjunction with my photography, I sometimes had to make frames,
generally largish ones (up to 40x60). I ordered the frame pieces from a
stock house, they cut to size on a guillotine. Frame wood is generally
quite soft and the cut edges wind up rough. My solution was to rub a
stick of chalk over them, filling up the hollows; gently blow off excess,
apply super glue and join. The glue wicks through the chalk binding it to
itself and continues into the wood, binding the thin chalk layer to the
wood. All my frames were joined this way, no nails, none ever failed.

--

dadiOH