Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What are High Voltage shunt capacitors for?

While I know a lot about electricity and home/business wiring, when it
comes to power distribution, I am not all that familiar. These giant
capacitors are used in power distribution, but what do they actually do?
Anyone know?

http://www.gr-capacitors.com/cap.html

I have seen smaller varieties of these on power poles. They look like
pole transformers, but the HV line just enters on insulator and exits
the other one. I never knew why they are there..... They are only used
on HV lines.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
While I know a lot about electricity and home/business wiring, when it
comes to power distribution, I am not all that familiar. These giant
capacitors are used in power distribution, but what do they actually do?
Anyone know?

http://www.gr-capacitors.com/cap.html

I have seen smaller varieties of these on power poles. They look like
pole transformers, but the HV line just enters on insulator and exits
the other one. I never knew why they are there..... They are only used
on HV lines.

Hi,
You can Google about it yourself. Believe it is used for power factor
correction.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
While I know a lot about electricity and home/business wiring, when it
comes to power distribution, I am not all that familiar. These giant
capacitors are used in power distribution, but what do they actually do?
Anyone know?

http://www.gr-capacitors.com/cap.html

I have seen smaller varieties of these on power poles. They look like
pole transformers, but the HV line just enters on insulator and exits
the other one. I never knew why they are there..... They are only used
on HV lines.

Hi,
You can Google about it yourself. Believe it is used for power factor
correction.

yep. Many electrical loads are inductive, and these capacitors counteract
the inductive loads, allowing current and voltage to remain more in phase
with each other, thus cutting down on wasted energy transmission and loss.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Jan 2015 18:14:26 -0600, wrote:

While I know a lot about electricity and home/business wiring, when it
comes to power distribution, I am not all that familiar. These giant
capacitors are used in power distribution, but what do they actually do?
Anyone know?

http://www.gr-capacitors.com/cap.html

Those are cyborgs mating. The lower picture is their three children.