Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How about PODS

Pondering moving out of state. Current plans would be to sell Casa Kurt
and rent for 6 months to a year before buying. Some of the current stuff
(most probably) will be sold but we will want to keep furnishings and
some other stuff. Basically we will have some stuff that goes to the
appartment and some goes to storage until we find a house.
If we use movers some of the stuff would have to loaded and/or
unloaded multiple times (loaded house, unloaded for storage at new city,
loaded back to go to the house, unloaded at house).
We are contemplating PODS because we could load the stuff to the
apartment in one for deilvery to the site and the other for delivery to
storage area. Probably cheaper, definitely less handling of the stuff
ending up in the new house.
Anybody know of a particular reason(s) this is either a good idea or
a bad one?
--
³Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive,
but what they conceal is vital.²
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message

[...]

I think it is a good idea.

I've only made one major move...when I retired we moved from Honolulu to
Veracruz, Mexico. We had a moving company ship most of our stuff to
Houston where it remained in a storage facility for several years.
Eventually, we moved back to the US (Florida) and had the Houston stuff
shipped to us. Magically, it had increased in weight between the time it
had entered the storage facility and the time it left; this despite the
fact that a few things were missing (not to mention damaged).

My advice...

1. Be ruthless in disposing of things. Unless they have high sentimental
value, you may well be money ahead selling them, thus avoiding moving and
storage costs, and buying shiny new stuff. And most of the small,
sentimental stuff you will never miss...we still have unpacked boxes of
them 25 years later.

2. Avoid moving companies.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/24/2015 5:57 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
[...]

I was curious about the idea too. A friend of mine used PODS. She was on
a limited budget and said it was a positive experience.

I had to rent a storage unit for about a month when we moved from NM to
TX. I had no idea of the logistics involved and I'll never do that
again. If I ever had to do that again, (God forbid!) I'd look carefully
at PODS, or something similar.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/24/2015 6:18 AM, dadiOH wrote:

Be ruthless in disposing of things.

+1

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/24/15 6:57 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
[...]

PODS-like containers are generally a good method, particularly if
interim storage is involved. Assuming you are OK with loading them
yourself. One issue to be careful of is, is it OK to park them
overnight at the 3 locations you mention, without running into issues
of parking, zoning, apt management, etc.

I did a simple move with U-Pack.com (smaller containers than PODS) and
it went well. Did the retired widower downsizing thing.

Can you downsize to 1 pods worth of stuff in total ? You could then
use 1 pod to dropoff stuff at apt, then move remainder to storage.
Just using 1 pod that way.

Good luck

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Retired wrote:

On 1/24/15 6:57 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

PODS-like containers are generally a good method, particularly if
interim storage is involved. Assuming you are OK with loading them
yourself. One issue to be careful of is, is it OK to park them
overnight at the 3 locations you mention, without running into issues
of parking, zoning, apt management, etc.

1 and 3 won't be a problem. Just put it in the home's driveway for a day
or two. 2 might be interesting. Can you access your POD at the local
storage area to move stuff from there to the apartment?

I did a simple move with U-Pack.com (smaller containers than PODS) and
it went well. Did the retired widower downsizing thing.

Can you downsize to 1 pods worth of stuff in total ? You could then
use 1 pod to dropoff stuff at apt, then move remainder to storage.
Just using 1 pod that way.

We'll see. Maybe.
but what they conceal is vital."
-- Aaron Levenstein
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

We have used PODS for 2 moves and had a very positive experience both
times. They are very easy to load as the floor is only 8 inches off
ground. The people at PODS are very accommodating as our last use of
them was a nightmare of continually shifting dates and number of PODS
required. They really bent over backwards to make sure everything would
happen on the schedule we needed. Storage was very easy and did not
have any trouble/damage on either move. One word of caution, plan how
everything will be packed in and tightly secured. I needed to repack one
POD because thought would fill entire unit. Really made it end heavy so
pull down top layer and redistribute the weight. Oh well, needed the
exercise.

I am not in any way connected to PODS other than a very happy customer
and would not hesitate to use them for the third time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/24/15 9:02 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

1 and 3 won't be a problem. Just put it in the home's driveway for a day
or two. 2 might be interesting. Can you access your POD at the local
storage area to move stuff from there to the apartment?

With Upack, that was OK, as long as you were emptying the container
the same day. What they don't like is you wanting to get at something
one day, then put the rest back in storage, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Jan 2015 06:57:20 -0500, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

[...]

Never used PODS before. Lived in four state and moved numerous times
I always took out insurance to cover damages, lost property, etc.

Curious is the POD company offers such insurance?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Oren wrote:

Curious is the POD company offers such insurance?

One of the questions I need to ask. Also ask the same question of my
insurance agent
but what they conceal is vital."
-- Aaron Levenstein

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Jan 2015 14:40:31 -0500, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

In article ,
Oren wrote:

Curious is the POD company offers such insurance?

One of the questions I need to ask. Also ask the same question of my
insurance agent

I only filed one claim to insurance when moving. I recovered more than
the premium costs on "that" move. (large wall mirror & picnic table,
few scratch repairs on furniture) Insurance covered it all.

Try to nail down delivery dates, be present when things arrive,
inspect them item by item, following inventory, etc.

On one home I had delivery the exact morning we closed and received
keys to a new home.
--
I like Guns and Titties
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/24/2015 2:40 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
Oren wrote:

Curious is the POD company offers such insurance?

One of the questions I need to ask. Also ask the same question of my
insurance agent

I've heard that on the spot insurance (promoted
by companies that offer services) can be much
more expensive than a rider through your home
or vehicle insurance agent.

Would you like a maintenance agreement and exended
warranty with that pack of chewing gum?

-
..
Christopher A. Young