Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default How about PODS

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message

Pondering moving out of state. Current plans would be to sell Casa Kurt
and rent for 6 months to a year before buying. Some of the current stuff
(most probably) will be sold but we will want to keep furnishings and
some other stuff. Basically we will have some stuff that goes to the
appartment and some goes to storage until we find a house.
If we use movers some of the stuff would have to loaded and/or
unloaded multiple times (loaded house, unloaded for storage at new city,
loaded back to go to the house, unloaded at house).
We are contemplating PODS because we could load the stuff to the
apartment in one for deilvery to the site and the other for delivery to
storage area. Probably cheaper, definitely less handling of the stuff
ending up in the new house.
Anybody know of a particular reason(s) this is either a good idea or
a bad one?

I think it is a good idea.

I've only made one major move...when I retired we moved from Honolulu to
Veracruz, Mexico. We had a moving company ship most of our stuff to
Houston where it remained in a storage facility for several years.
Eventually, we moved back to the US (Florida) and had the Houston stuff
shipped to us. Magically, it had increased in weight between the time it
had entered the storage facility and the time it left; this despite the
fact that a few things were missing (not to mention damaged).

My advice...

1. Be ruthless in disposing of things. Unless they have high sentimental
value, you may well be money ahead selling them, thus avoiding moving and
storage costs, and buying shiny new stuff. And most of the small,
sentimental stuff you will never miss...we still have unpacked boxes of
them 25 years later.

2. Avoid moving companies.

--

dadiOH