Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Children at Risk from Detergent Pods

"LAS VEGAS - Detergent pods are causing an increasing number of child
poisonings in states around the country, including Nevada."

[...]

"Many kids mistake the pods for candy. Since the pods emerged on the
market two years ago, thousands of cases of child poisonings have
surfaced from kids putting the pods in their mouths. Other children
have choked on the pods. A 7-month-old baby in Florida died after
ingesting one.

The Centers for Disease Control says pods represent an emerging public
health concern. Poison control centers say more than 9,500 children
have been poisoned by pods since 2012."

http://www.8newsnow.com/story/23998770/8-on-your-side-children-at-risk-from-detergent-pods
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/18/2013 3:12 PM, Oren wrote:
"LAS VEGAS - Detergent pods are causing an increasing number of child
poisonings in states around the country, including Nevada."

[...]

"Many kids mistake the pods for candy. Since the pods emerged on the
market two years ago, thousands of cases of child poisonings have
surfaced from kids putting the pods in their mouths. Other children
have choked on the pods. A 7-month-old baby in Florida died after
ingesting one.

The Centers for Disease Control says pods represent an emerging public
health concern. Poison control centers say more than 9,500 children
have been poisoned by pods since 2012."

http://www.8newsnow.com/story/23998770/8-on-your-side-children-at-risk-from-detergent-pods

Spooky. That's a tragedy.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
"LAS VEGAS - Detergent pods are causing an increasing number of child
poisonings in states around the country, including Nevada."

[...]

"Many kids mistake the pods for candy. Since the pods emerged on the
market two years ago, thousands of cases of child poisonings have
surfaced from kids putting the pods in their mouths. Other children
have choked on the pods. A 7-month-old baby in Florida died after
ingesting one.

The Centers for Disease Control says pods represent an emerging public
health concern. Poison control centers say more than 9,500 children
have been poisoned by pods since 2012."

http://www.8newsnow.com/story/23998770/8-on-your-side-children-at-risk-from-detergent-pods

Should the pods be banned or should the adults that don't know how to keep
poisons out of the reach of children be banned?

Better yet, if a kid ingests a poison that an adult didn't secure, that
adult has to ingest the same ratio of poison to body weight that the kid
did.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/18/2013 8:08 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Oren wrote:
[...]

If the kids are like one of mine (toddler terrorist), the parent is
probably distracted, cleaning up the last mess, while the t.t. is into
the next situation. My t.t. would be sitting on the kitchen table,
squeezing butter through her fingers whilst I tried to nurse her new
baby brother. Or trying to climb the Christmas tree. Or draft a wall
mural with lipstick. Or using the kitchen drawers for stairs to reach
the unreachable. I do give her credit for making me a more creative
parent. After we had someone attempt to break into our home, I
considered buying a gun. There was no way in hell I could have kept a
gun where it could be of use in an emergency and yet be unavailble to my
kids. The t.t. grew up to be a very successful business woman, wife and
mother....I used to threaten to teach her kids the tricks she tried but
never had the heart )
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 01:08:40 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Oren wrote:
[...]

I was not suggesting a solution. Just pointing out a concern for those
with children or children that may visit a home, should be aware of.

Same as keeping Draino under a sink that children can access and
consume, like last century. It's an education in current events.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/18/2013 8:08 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

The Centers for Disease Control says pods represent an emerging public
health concern. Poison control centers say more than 9,500 children
have been poisoned by pods since 2012."

http://www.8newsnow.com/story/23998770/8-on-your-side-children-at-risk-from-detergent-pods

Should the pods be banned or should the adults that don't know how to keep
poisons out of the reach of children be banned?

Better yet, if a kid ingests a poison that an adult didn't secure, that
adult has to ingest the same ratio of poison to body weight that the kid
did.

The pods are colorful and I can see a toddler grabbing one because it
does look like candy. Most of us store thing like that under the sink
too! Nothing is perfect, but some redesign of the package and wrappers
would help. Next is some common sense for the parents. that may be tougher.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Oren wrote:
[...]

I was just posing the question, not implying that you were suggesting a
solution. I'm sorry it didn't read that way...I can see how it could be
taken differently.

Same as keeping Draino under a sink that children can access and
consume, like last century. It's an education in current events.

My 4 kids are all adults now. I like to think that one of the reasons
they've made this far is because we kept the Draino secured so they
couldn't get to it. Trust me, my kids found other ways to get hurt, so I'm
just glad they couldn't get into the bad stuff at home.

Whatever the modern poison happens to be, it would be nice if adults had
the common sense to keep it secured so the kids can't get into it. If not,
perhaps there should be consequences. Just sayin'
Senior Member

Really, the problem is that kids, even toddlers, are smart, and quickly find ways to get at what they want.

Perhaps the best solution would be for parents with young children at home not to use detergent pods. When I first saw one of those things, I wasn't sure what it was, but it definitely looked both attractive and tasty, and parents of young children should realize these things will look attractive and tasty to their children too. If they doubt their ability to keep it out of the reach of their children, then the best thing is for them not to buy it in the first place.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11-18-2013, 20:32, Oren wrote:
I was not suggesting a solution. Just pointing out a concern for those
with children or children that may visit a home, should be aware of.

Same as keeping Draino under a sink that children can access and
consume, like last century. It's an education in current events.

When I took my children to a home that had none,
I took that fact into consideration.

--
Wes Groleau

€œIdeas are more powerful than guns,
We would not let our enemies have guns;
why should we let them have ideas?€
€” Jozef Stalin

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

I have Finish DW detergent pods under the kitchen sink next to the DW.
I don't have kids, and very rarely get kids visiting.
I just opened one package and took a lick. It does not taste like
anything that a child or adult would find palatable.

--
Bill
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, November 18, 2013 9:07:19 PM UTC-8, nestork wrote:
Really, the problem is that kids, even toddlers, are smart, and quickly

find ways to get at what they want.

Perhaps the best solution would be for parents with young children at

home not to use detergent pods. When I first saw one of those things, I

wasn't sure what it was, but it definitely looked both attractive and

tasty, and parents of young children should realize these things will

look attractive and tasty to their children too. If they doubt their

ability to keep it out of the reach of their children, then the best

thing is for them not to buy it in the first place.

These people are not aware enough to even KNOW that they should keep dangeous chemicals out of range of children.

People have to be licensed to drive cars, cut hair, build houses, and a whole raft of things, but are left free to create children whom they endanger with their utter witlessness.

Yes, I know -- licensing procreation would be fraught with even more corruption than licensing to build SAFE houses, bridges, cars and sell SAFE food and beverages.

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, November 18, 2013 11:20:14 PM UTC-8, Wes Groleau wrote:
On 11-18-2013, 20:32, Oren wrote:

I was not suggesting a solution. Just pointing out a concern for those

with children or children that may visit a home, should be aware of.

Same as keeping Draino under a sink that children can access and

consume, like last century. It's an education in current events.

When I took my children to a home that had none,

I took that fact into consideration.

Many parents are unaware that allowing their children to play on lawns at their friends' houses can be very dangerous. The chemicals used to keep your lawn green and lush can harm children who play down low in the grass. It's prudent to ask, in a nice way, whether this stuff (paraphrased) is used on the lawn where your child might play.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/19/2013 12:43 PM, willshak wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

I don't have kids, but I do have dogs. I use the dishwasher pods, but it
does worry me, mainly because my rescue dog will grab "food" and swallow
first and ask questions later. I'm careful to close the DW dispenser
immediately, but can see how if someone was distracted, a toddler could
get into it. I can remember as a kid, my mom had some sort of pine jelly
cleaner that she used that looked like green jello, and yes, I do
remember putting that in my mouth when she left it unattended.
Fortunately it didn't taste good! I don't get why the pod manufacturers
can't make them so noxious that kids would willingly spit them out. I
mean, how hard can it be to make soap taste bad!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Children are probably just at as much risk from an I-pod. It just
poisons their mind instead.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11-19-2013, 12:43, willshak wrote:
I have Finish DW detergent pods under the kitchen sink next to the DW.
I don't have kids, and very rarely get kids visiting.
I just opened one package and took a lick. It does not taste like
anything that a child or adult would find palatable.

Neither does hand sanitizer foam,

A four-year-old was hospitalized when the day-care staff didn't notice
her eating it. Looked like whip cream, so she ate it. taste didn't
stop her.

--
Wes Groleau

People would have more leisure time if it weren't
for all the leisure-time activities that use it up.
€” Peg Bracken

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Wes Groleau" wrote in message
On 11-19-2013, 12:43, willshak wrote:
I have Finish DW detergent pods under the kitchen sink next to the DW.
I don't have kids, and very rarely get kids visiting.
I just opened one package and took a lick. It does not taste like
anything that a child or adult would find palatable.

Neither does hand sanitizer foam,

A four-year-old was hospitalized when the day-care staff didn't notice
her eating it. Looked like whip cream, so she ate it. taste didn't

My dog ate an entire tub of Vaseline, and apparently a lot of babies find it
tasty, too. Fortunately it's not poisonous but does result in some
interesting digestive effects/scatology. It looks much the same coming out
as it did going in.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote in message

stuff snipped

I have Finish DW detergent pods under the kitchen sink next to the DW.
I don't have kids, and very rarely get kids visiting.
I just opened one package and took a lick.

A true scientist!

It does not taste like anything that a child or adult would find

palatable.

Little kids eat bugs, poop, pennies, batteries and God knows what else.
Palatability may not enter into their decision about what to eat. I wonder
what our good friend Google can tell us about all the things that little
kids have eaten over the years?

http://www.babyzone.com/kids/kids-he...-swallow_87724

Lists 10 things that kids swallow. Coins are numero uno.

http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/Swal...ign-Bodies.htm

Talks about how many kids swallow stuff that becomes a medical issue. Lots
and lots.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, November 22, 2013 12:53:27 AM UTC-8, Robert Green wrote:
"Wes Groleau" wrote in message

On 11-19-2013, 12:43, willshak wrote:

I have Finish DW detergent pods under the kitchen sink next to the DW..

I don't have kids, and very rarely get kids visiting.

I just opened one package and took a lick. It does not taste like

anything that a child or adult would find palatable.

Neither does hand sanitizer foam,

A four-year-old was hospitalized when the day-care staff didn't notice

her eating it. Looked like whip cream, so she ate it. taste didn't

Hand sanitizer -- which is basically alcohol -- has been a windfall for the entrepreneurs who figured out (a) how to dress it up with [useless ingredients] and (b) how to scare the **** out of consumers. Consumers who had been getting along just fine for [period of time] by washing their hands with (gasp) soap and water when they got home.

I'm just jealous of their entrepreneurship. They make a great buck and don't really hurt anybody (except the kid mentioned above).

HB
HB