Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Washing machine improvement I'd like to see

I just spent a long time getting a washer leveled.

I can reach the front legs in place, but have to pull it out to adjust the back legs, which is a pain, and since no floor is perfectly level it's trial and error to get it right.

There is no reason the little adjuster legs couldn't extend up to the top of the machine. It would be easy to put a socket wrench on the bolt head and get them just right, while the washer is in place.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/20/2015 07:19 AM, TimR wrote:
I just spent a long time getting a washer leveled.

I can reach the front legs in place, but have to pull it out to adjust the back legs, which is a pain, and since no floor is perfectly level it's trial and error to get it right.

There is no reason the little adjuster legs couldn't extend up to the top of the machine. It would be easy to put a socket wrench on the bolt head and get them just right, while the washer is in place.

My ancient Whirpool has self-leveling legs

they are spring loaded and when it was installed, they just set it down
and it was level
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/20/2015 8:19 AM, TimR wrote:
I just spent a long time getting a washer leveled.

I can reach the front legs in place, but have to pull it out to adjust the back legs, which is a pain, and since no floor is perfectly level it's trial and error to get it right.

There is no reason the little adjuster legs couldn't extend up to the top of the machine. It would be easy to put a socket wrench on the bolt head and get them just right, while the washer is in place.

I've never had to adjust a washer. Maybe the appliance delivery guy did
when it was first delivered.

Sounds like you have a $10 solution to a $1 problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 07:43:23 -0600, philo wrote:

On 01/20/2015 07:19 AM, TimR wrote:
I just spent a long time getting a washer leveled.

I can reach the front legs in place, but have to pull it out to adjust the back legs, which is a pain, and since no floor is perfectly level it's trial and error to get it right.

There is no reason the little adjuster legs couldn't extend up to the top of the machine. It would be easy to put a socket wrench on the bolt head and get them just right, while the washer is in place.

My ancient Whirpool has self-leveling legs

they are spring loaded and when it was installed, they just set it down
and it was level

I'm not even sure about my 35-year old Sears (Whirlpool), even though
I've been back there a lot.

But the Whirlpool machine I found on the street around 1975, which had
some rust** and must have been 10 years old at least had its rear legs
connected together so one went up when the other went down. One just
had to plop the machine down, not interfere with gravity entirely, so
that it overcame friction and the legs hit the ground at the same time.
(I think when it was new there was very little friction and one could
oil it too.) The front legs were adjustable with a wrench. but I
don't think I ever had to do so.

Is the Whirlpool method patented? If not, why wouldn't another brand
do the same thing? It only took about 2 extra parts and a bracket on
each side.

**95% of the rust on the major lid (in which was the lid one opened to
put in clothes. I think I managed to take the whole major lid off (or
I masked it) and painted it with white spray appliance Epox-ee, I think
it was, and when it dried it was like baked on enamel that a new machine
comes with. I had it for 8 years and the top never chipped or
scratched. I was careful, but still.

The lid switch was broken and I spent an hour taking it apart and
repairing it, and after it worked, I stuffed a paper wad in the hole so
the switch was always closed, so I could add things while the machine
ran. The right hand half of the kitchen sink was as big as a laundry
sink so I used that for the output.

I had a roommate who was a Playboy bunny, but also a klutz. I told her
not to leave the kitchen when she was using the machine, but I came home
once to find the machine running and spilling water on the kitchen floor
and her back in her room. Fortunately not enough water to leak into
the apartment downstairs. Somehow in the 8 years I had the machine,
that was the only time it overflowed. (I think it was water, not just
suds.)

She also borrowed a sheet from me and when I got it back it had black
mascara or eyebrow pencil marks or something all over it. And one day
she pulled the rack out of the oven and dropped it on the kitchen chair
and the floor. I slept in the maid's room right next to the kitchen
and the sound of the rack hitting the floor was unmistakeable. I
think she denied she'd had a problem, but the burn marks on the top of
the chair back were also unmistakeable. The grooves burned out of the
vinyl were the size of the grill rods and the spacing was the same.
She'd dropped it because it was hot.

And finally, she told me she borrowed the Bunny Mother's keys to get
something out of a closet, and later left and went home without
returning the keys, and the mother coulnd't get her car out of the
garage she'd parked in, and probably had to get home some other way and
pay for parking an extra 16 hours. I think my roommate got fired after
that. But she was a nice girl.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hey! What the **** is this, a novel?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 05:19:01 -0800 (PST), TimR
wrote:

I just spent a long time getting a washer leveled.

I can reach the front legs in place, but have to pull it out to adjust the back legs, which is a pain, and since no floor is perfectly level it's trial and error to get it right.

There is no reason the little adjuster legs couldn't extend up to the top of the machine. It would be easy to put a socket wrench on the bolt head and get them just right, while the washer is in place.

I noticed that my machine - it's about 8 years old - has everything
but the outer case suspended by rubber straps (called shock dampers)
and spring loaded suspension rods.
Had to replace the motor and clutch after my basement flooded.
So if yours is the same I don't think leveling has to be exact.
I would settle for 3 degrees off level, though I got mine to about 1
degree, using a dial level.
Hell, you don't even know if the case is square.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nowadays I suspect all the delivery
crews do is deliver the appliance to
the location specified in the home.

It's up to the consumer to level
the refrigerator or laundry appliance
with those little screw feet on the
bottom.

$$$$$!
Posted to alt.home.repair

I heard of one place that hung the washer via strong
chains from the ceiling. Instead of dancing around
unbalanced, the machine slowly swayed back
and forth, turning side to side rhythmically!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, January 20, 2015 at 5:24:25 PM UTC-5, Vic Smith wrote:
I noticed that my machine - it's about 8 years old - has everything
but the outer case suspended by rubber straps (called shock dampers)
and spring loaded suspension rods.
Had to replace the motor and clutch after my basement flooded.
So if yours is the same I don't think leveling has to be exact.
I would settle for 3 degrees off level, though I got mine to about 1
degree, using a dial level.
Hell, you don't even know if the case is square.

I didn't get it perfectly level. I settled for having all four legs on the ground, close to level. When I started not all legs touched, and you could rock it from corner to corner.

If it's too far off level it shakes like crazy during the spin cycle.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

IDT being 1/8" out of level is the problem. The problem is all 4 feet
not being on the floor and it wobbling.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lucky you Ed:

I've witnessed two cases of a new fridge delivery(my
parents' place, and most recently at work) where I had
to adjust the front feet to tilt the units back just enough
so the door shut itself. Same with my parents' stove:
I placed a bubble level on the cooktop and adjusted the
screw-feet until the bubble centered in all directions.

But you don't have to believe me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/21/2015 07:01 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
You suspect wrong. I've bought three new appliances in the past couple of years. The delivery people put them in place and leveled as needed. Maybe Joe's Cheap Appliances takes shortcuts, but reputable dealers do it right.

Same with two power beds I bought last year. Assembled, inspected, perfect.

I have a self-leveling waterbed.

http://www.landandsky.com/products/n...rbeds.asp#6000