Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Old mortise lock parts/repairs/replacements...

Anybody know of any other than continuing to search eBay and the like?

Have 5-1/4" long faceplate unit with 2-1/4" setback at church on which
somebody managed to break the latch casting; I've no klew how they
managed that altho the door shows that it was sorely abused sometime in
the past as there are broken ventilation slats in the bottom section.

Anyway, so far nothing matching has shown up on the usual sites altho
I'm continuing to watch; the only new product I've found comes from
Prime Line that is 2-3/8" setback and some reviews indicate it isn't
even worth the ~$10 price they're so cheaply made.

I may order one just to see if can make it work, but it'd be nice to
find closer fit if at all possible.

I'll see if there's any chance't I can braze the latch back together,
but don't hold out a lot of hope...

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Have you tried this website ?

http://www.houseofantiquehardware.com/door-latch
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, January 19, 2015 at 12:08:02 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:
Anybody know of any other than continuing to search eBay and the like?

Have 5-1/4" long faceplate unit with 2-1/4" setback at church on which
somebody managed to break the latch casting; I've no klew how they
managed that altho the door shows that it was sorely abused sometime in
the past as there are broken ventilation slats in the bottom section.

Anyway, so far nothing matching has shown up on the usual sites altho
I'm continuing to watch; the only new product I've found comes from
Prime Line that is 2-3/8" setback and some reviews indicate it isn't
even worth the ~$10 price they're so cheaply made.

I may order one just to see if can make it work, but it'd be nice to
find closer fit if at all possible.

I'll see if there's any chance't I can braze the latch back together,
but don't hold out a lot of hope...

--

take the broken one to a local machinist who may be able to duplicate it.....

Even better any machinists in your congregation
Posted to alt.home.repair

In bob haller writes:

Have 5-1/4" long faceplate unit with 2-1/4" setback at church on which
somebody managed to break the latch casting; I've no klew how they
managed that altho the door shows that it was sorely abused sometime in
the past as there are broken ventilation slats in the bottom section.

take the broken one to a local machinist who may be able to duplicate it.....

Even better any machinists in your congregation

Every Church should be able to find a carpenter... not so
sure about a machinist.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 01/19/2015 11:36 AM, Retired wrote:

....elided original posting for brevity...

Have you tried this website ?

http://www.houseofantiquehardware.com/door-latch

Yeah, all I've found there are at least 6" length other than that's
where I found the first link to the Prime Line as well. They're pretty
proud of what they have otherwise but if push comes to shove...

I probably should just shoot 'em an e-query and see if they have any
answers other than "modify your door to fit"...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 11:07:57 -0600, dpb wrote:

Anybody know of any other than continuing to search eBay and the like?

If you don't have a local architectural salvage place nearby; you
might try online sites in the region. Neat places if you ever get to
visit one and roam the aisles.

_Habitat for Humanity ReStores_ are another place to check.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 01/19/2015 12:49 PM, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 11:07:57 -0600, wrote:

Anybody know of any other than continuing to search eBay and the like?

If you don't have a local architectural salvage place nearby; you
might try online sites in the region. Neat places if you ever get to
visit one and roam the aisles.

_Habitat for Humanity ReStores_ are another place to check.

Unfortunately, this is small town not close to anywhere else...ain't
_nuthin'_ "nearby"...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 13:11:22 -0600, dpb wrote:

On 01/19/2015 12:49 PM, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 11:07:57 -0600, wrote:

Anybody know of any other than continuing to search eBay and the like?

If you don't have a local architectural salvage place nearby; you
might try online sites in the region. Neat places if you ever get to
visit one and roam the aisles.

_Habitat for Humanity ReStores_ are another place to check.

Unfortunately, this is small town not close to anywhere else...ain't
_nuthin'_ "nearby"...

I here ya... can't get there from here

Online salvage places (brick & mortar) would be a place to look. Send
them a photo so they can check the collection.
Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
Anybody know of any other than continuing to search eBay and the like?

Have 5-1/4" long faceplate unit with 2-1/4" setback at church on which
somebody managed to break the latch casting; I've no klew how they
managed that altho the door shows that it was sorely abused sometime
in the past as there are broken ventilation slats in the bottom
section.
Anyway, so far nothing matching has shown up on the usual sites altho
I'm continuing to watch; the only new product I've found comes from
Prime Line that is 2-3/8" setback and some reviews indicate it isn't
even worth the ~$10 price they're so cheaply made.

I may order one just to see if can make it work, but it'd be nice to
find closer fit if at all possible.

I'll see if there's any chance't I can braze the latch back together,
but don't hold out a lot of hope...

To successfully braze it you'll need to V the break - I usually leave just
enough of an edge on the original material to align the parts . You don't
say where the break is , but it's a good idea to preheat this to at least
450° and bed it in sand or vermiculite to do the brazing , then cover with
more sand/verm to cool slowly . Best of luck !
If you have a weldor worthy of the title nearby , take it to him . His
price may seem high , but if the part can't be replaced and you MUST have it
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 01/19/2015 1:18 PM, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 13:11:22 -0600, wrote:

Unfortunately, this is small town not close to anywhere else...ain't
_nuthin'_ "nearby"...

I here ya... can't get there from here

Well, I've been near some of those, too, but I wouldn't characterize
here as one of those. It's simple-enough to get anywhere, it just takes
a long time to do it...200+ mi to anywhere w/ population 30,000.

E KY or W VA or SW VA were _much_ more of the "can't get there" variety
even if it might be only 20-30 miles somewhere from where one was, the
road may be twice that owing to the mountains/creeks in between w/ no
direct path between...

Online salvage places (brick& mortar) would be a place to look. Send
them a photo so they can check the collection.

All one needs are the standard measurements; particularly face length
and knob setback. The rest are pretty standard or can be made to work,
generally.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 01/19/2015 2:13 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
dpb wrote:
[...]

Well, "MUST" is a stretch. I'll give it a go and see if it'll stick; it
broke in a flat section roughly 1/8" thickness by 3/8" wide behind the
taper of the strike end. There's plenty of space that I can basically
make a casting around the break so can basically try to just stick a
couple of beads on each surface...

If all else fails, one can always retrofit another latch and do the
necessary refinish work; just hoping to minimize that given the age of
the door and all. I've had to do that before; it's "do-able" but takes
quite a bit of time and effort to get a good match without redoing an
entire door.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 16:03:58 -0600, dpb wrote:

If all else fails, one can always retrofit another latch and do the
necessary refinish work; just hoping to minimize that given the age of
the door and all. I've had to do that before; it's "do-able" but takes
quite a bit of time and effort to get a good match without redoing an
entire door.

.... no arguments here
Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
[...]

This is the bolt itself ? I might have one here that you can have , I'll
check my scrap pile - OK , the only mortise type lock out there is one from
a security door . If you want I'll take it apart and get a pic of the bolt ,
but I doubt it will work .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/19/2015 1:02 PM, bob haller wrote:
[...]

Sadly, old mortise lock parts are miserable
to find. I know that's not a ray of sunshine
on the matter.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:

I'll see if there's any chance't I can braze the latch back together,
but don't hold out a lot of hope...

To successfully braze it you'll need to V the break - I usually leave just
enough of an edge on the original material to align the parts . You don't
say where the break is , but it's a good idea to preheat this to at least
450° and bed it in sand or vermiculite to do the brazing , then cover with
more sand/verm to cool slowly . Best of luck !

Seem to have succeeded...I'll get proof after a while if it holds up
under fire...didn't do anything fancy other than buff up to a bright
surface and use a little flux rod. Not perfect alignment but it seems
to operate on the bench after reassembly just fine...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/20/2015 5:42 PM, dpb wrote:
To successfully braze it you'll need to V the break - I usually
leave just
enough of an edge on the original material to align the parts . You don't
say where the break is , but it's a good idea to preheat this to at least
450° and bed it in sand or vermiculite to do the brazing , then cover
with
more sand/verm to cool slowly . Best of luck !

Seem to have succeeded...I'll get proof after a while if it holds up
under fire...didn't do anything fancy other than buff up to a bright
surface and use a little flux rod. Not perfect alignment but it seems
to operate on the bench after reassembly just fine...

Of course, you had the priest bless it?

More serious than not. Being a church, it's
good idea to get divine assistance.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 01/19/2015 11:07 AM, dpb wrote:

I'll see if there's any chance't I can braze the latch back together,
but don't hold out a lot of hope...

Well, I was successful in brazing it and just reinstalled it this
afternoon--all is well!!

I'll keep a search on on eBay for some for replacements or parts,
though, just in case. There must be 50 of these in the old building;
maybe more than that when I think of all the closets, SS-school rooms,
other cubby-hole-hideaways all over a 100-yo 3-story+basement building,
though...