Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Old mortise lock parts/repairs/replacements...

On 1/20/2015 5:42 PM, dpb wrote:
To successfully braze it you'll need to V the break - I usually
leave just
enough of an edge on the original material to align the parts . You don't
say where the break is , but it's a good idea to preheat this to at least
450° and bed it in sand or vermiculite to do the brazing , then cover
with
more sand/verm to cool slowly . Best of luck !

Seem to have succeeded...I'll get proof after a while if it holds up
under fire...didn't do anything fancy other than buff up to a bright
surface and use a little flux rod. Not perfect alignment but it seems
to operate on the bench after reassembly just fine...

Of course, you had the priest bless it?

More serious than not. Being a church, it's
good idea to get divine assistance.

-
..
Christopher A. Young