Posted to alt.home.repair

Default what do you think of this led headlamp?

Hi All,

This guy uses a single AA battery (don't want AAA bats) and
has a spot and flood mode. I do wonder it is will point
where I need it to point though. It got only one review,
so who knows.

http://www.amazon.com/New-2015-HeadL...AEI/ref=sr_1_6

-T
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 17 Jan 2015 18:48:42 -0800, Todd wrote:

Hi All,

This guy uses a single AA battery (don't want AAA bats) and
has a spot and flood mode. I do wonder it is will point
where I need it to point though. It got only one review,
so who knows.

http://www.amazon.com/New-2015-HeadL...AEI/ref=sr_1_6

-T

I used to put a flashilight with 2 c-cells in my mouth, but I'm glad
they have LEDs now. Now I put an LED light with 3 AAA batteries and 9
leds (one in the center and 8 in a circle) in my mouth. Much easier on
my jaws and always points where I'm looking.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/17/2015 10:55 PM, micky wrote:

I used to put a flashilight with 2 c-cells in my mouth, but I'm glad
they have LEDs now.

My wife had one. It was not very bright and it vibrated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have the "free with any purchase" Harbor Freight headlamp. It uses two AA batteries, has a good head harness, and I wish I had had one many years ago instead of having to ask my wife to try to follow with a regular flashlight wherever I was looking under sinks,and in various car areas.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 17 Jan 2015 18:48:42 -0800, Todd wrote:

Hi All,

This guy uses a single AA battery (don't want AAA bats) and
has a spot and flood mode. I do wonder it is will point
where I need it to point though. It got only one review,
so who knows.

http://www.amazon.com/New-2015-HeadL...AEI/ref=sr_1_6

Coincidentally, while working on the dishwasher, one of the kids brought
me their little headlamp. It worked great. Here it is on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond-...d+led+headlamp

But it uses AAA batteries. Not sure what your problem is with that.
Religion?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 17 Jan 2015 23:32:46 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 1/17/2015 10:55 PM, micky wrote:

I used to put a flashilight with 2 c-cells in my mouth, but I'm glad
they have LEDs now.

My wife had one. It was not very bright and it vibrated.

Those can cause chipped teeth?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/18/2015 12:00 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 17 Jan 2015 23:32:46 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 1/17/2015 10:55 PM, micky wrote:

I used to put a flashilight with 2 c-cells in my mouth, but I'm glad
they have LEDs now.

My wife had one. It was not very bright and it vibrated.

Those can cause chipped teeth?

Yeah, she found a better place to hold it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/17/2015 9:48 PM, Todd wrote:
Hi All,

This guy uses a single AA battery (don't want AAA bats) and
has a spot and flood mode. I do wonder it is will point
where I need it to point though. It got only one review,
so who knows.

http://www.amazon.com/New-2015-HeadL...AEI/ref=sr_1_6

-T

May be good but I like to see lumen output. I might wait for more
reviews to come in.

I prefer lights with conventional batteries. Lithium batteries just gave
out in key chain flashlight friend gave me. Four batteries at a minimum
of $1 each have me thinking twice about replacing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/18/2015 12:12 PM, Frank wrote:
On 1/17/2015 9:48 PM, Todd wrote:
Hi All,

This guy uses a single AA battery (don't want AAA bats) and
has a spot and flood mode. I do wonder it is will point
where I need it to point though. It got only one review,
so who knows.

http://www.amazon.com/New-2015-HeadL...AEI/ref=sr_1_6

-T

May be good but I like to see lumen output. I might wait for more
reviews to come in.

I prefer lights with conventional batteries. Lithium batteries just gave
out in key chain flashlight friend gave me. Four batteries at a minimum
of $1 each have me thinking twice about replacing.

I just ordered one of these - though not from Amazon.com. You can buy
them on line all day for anywhere from $22 to $40 for the exact same
model. Some come with extra batteries

http://tinyurl.com/l8hwl3w

I don't know about this 5000 lumen claim, but for my purposes anything
close to half that should be way more than adequate.

I have a small headlamp but what sold me on trying this one was my
specific need.

I have occasion to do lawn mowing late in the evening with a large
zero-turn mower. I was going to put lights on it but the "good"
mounting spots would also leave the lamp assemblies in a position to be
damaged when I cut in close to shrubs and a line of wild honeysuckle, etc.

As I don't need light all that often, this likely will work like a charm
throwing sufficient light in whatever direction I'm looking.

FWIW, I've swapped out the incandescent and/or halogen bulbs on all
Streamlight and MagLite flashlights. Wow! What a difference. They are
great!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Where did you buy the maglite LED replacement bulbs?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 Jan 2015 12:12:47 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 1/18/2015 12:00 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 17 Jan 2015 23:32:46 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 1/17/2015 10:55 PM, micky wrote:

I used to put a flashilight with 2 c-cells in my mouth, but I'm glad
they have LEDs now.

My wife had one. It was not very bright and it vibrated.

Those can cause chipped teeth?

Yeah, she found a better place to hold it.

Good. Can never be to careful what one may put in their mouth.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/18/2015 3:00 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 18 Jan 2015 12:12:47 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 1/18/2015 12:00 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 17 Jan 2015 23:32:46 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 1/17/2015 10:55 PM, micky wrote:

I used to put a flashilight with 2 c-cells in my mouth, but I'm glad
they have LEDs now.

My wife had one. It was not very bright and it vibrated.

Those can cause chipped teeth?

Yeah, she found a better place to hold it.

Good. Can never be to careful what one may put in their mouth.

That's what Monica Lewinsky now says!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 Jan 2015 16:15:55 -0600, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

On 1/18/2015 3:00 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 18 Jan 2015 12:12:47 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 1/18/2015 12:00 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 17 Jan 2015 23:32:46 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 1/17/2015 10:55 PM, micky wrote:

I used to put a flashilight with 2 c-cells in my mouth, but I'm glad
they have LEDs now.

My wife had one. It was not very bright and it vibrated.

Those can cause chipped teeth?

Yeah, she found a better place to hold it.

Good. Can never be to careful what one may put in their mouth.

That's what Monica Lewinsky now says!

One day people will educate themselves. She held in her mouth until
the swelling went down.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/17/2015 9:48 PM, Todd wrote:
[...]

I saw that in my googling and hard to believe. Maybe good for you or a
cyclist but too much for me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/18/2015 5:14 PM, Frank wrote:

[snip]
I have occasion to do lawn mowing late in the evening with a large
zero-turn mower. I was going to put lights on it but the "good"
mounting spots would also leave the lamp assemblies in a position to be
damaged when I cut in close to shrubs and a line of wild honeysuckle,
etc.

As I don't need light all that often, this likely will work like a charm
throwing sufficient light in whatever direction I'm looking.

FWIW, I've swapped out the incandescent and/or halogen bulbs on all
Streamlight and MagLite flashlights. Wow! What a difference. They are
great!

I saw that in my googling and hard to believe. Maybe good for you or a
cyclist but too much for me.

I agree. Suspect somebody has taken hyperbole to a new record. Still,
if it provides 10% of that claim (which, given the multiple lamps, is
feasible) it should work fine for my purposes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

FWIW, I've swapped out the incandescent and/or halogen bulbs on all
Streamlight and MagLite flashlights. Wow! What a difference. They are
great!

What did you put in your Stream and Mag?

I think there is a web site "super bright
LED" or some thing, that sells PR based
bulbs for flash lights. One email friend
really loves them. At $15 or so per bulb,
I've not bought any. Might, some day when
I have lots of money.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/19/2015 2:01 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

FWIW, I've swapped out the incandescent and/or halogen bulbs on all
Streamlight and MagLite flashlights. Wow! What a difference. They are
great!

What did you put in your Stream and Mag?

I think there is a web site "super bright
LED" or some thing, that sells PR based
bulbs for flash lights. One email friend
really loves them. At $15 or so per bulb,
I've not bought any. Might, some day when
I have lots of money.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/

I bought mine through Amazon.com (all of them)

Do a Google search for

TerraLUX TLE-6EXB MiniStar5 140 Lumens, Led Conversion Kit for 2-3 Cell
C&D MagLites

IIRC, the conversion kits were actually listed at 160 or 180 lumens when
they arrived. The Amazon.com partner was offering a two pack for about
$33 with free shipping.

TerraLux actually made all of the conversion kits that I bought for both
the MagLites and StreamLights

I also put the TerraLux kits in my two Streamlights (one is the Stinger
XP and the other is the Stinger XP HP (larger "flood" head)). Both were
older units (~7 -8 yrs old) and the kits fit/work perfectly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/18/2015 04:34 AM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:
But it uses AAA batteries. Not sure what your problem is with that.
Religion?

I buy AA Lithiums 20 at a time from one of my wholesalers.
They can take a while to use up, but they have excellent shelf
lives, so I don't care. I try to stay away from AAA (and C's)
to simplify my life.

Don't like having to keep every size under the rainbow around.
I have recently added D's into my life with my new mega
blaster flashlight, but for what it is used for, I will
buy batteries when I notice the current ones starting to
fade (no stocking).

As far as I can tell, the Lithiums last about three
times as long, but cost three times as much, so the
only advantage comes from three times less labor
changing batteries.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/17/2015 06:48 PM, Todd wrote:
Hi All,

This guy uses a single AA battery (don't want AAA bats) and
has a spot and flood mode. I do wonder it is will point
where I need it to point though. It got only one review,
so who knows.

http://www.amazon.com/New-2015-HeadL...AEI/ref=sr_1_6

-T

Follow up:

I went ahead and order one, against advice to wait for more reviews.

It took two weeks to arrive.

It came with an Eveready AA Alkaline battery

The up/down angle is adjustable.

The spot function is quite adequate for close up work and
for pruning my flowers in the dark.

The flood option is a bit on the dim side and is a higher
color temperature than the spot light.

The spot and flood can not be on at the same time.

The unit is light weight due to the single AA battery
design.

It is obviously electronically driven and as such brighter
than passively driven design which require three AAA
batteries.

The head band is comfortable when adjusted to taste.

Thank you all for helping me with this!

-T

Interesting aside. When I first got the thing, I decided to vacuum
the house in the dark to see how well the headlight worked. It
did fine. But, you know those ceiling hanging webs you can never
relocate because the light/sun is shining differently when you
have the vacuum wand in hand than when you first spotted the
darlings, so you just flail around with the wand hoping you nail
them? Well now. ALL OF THEM show up like a sore thumb when
you have this head set on in the dark. It shocked me how many
there were. They are not there anymore. I had a blast. I hate
those dangler webs. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/5/2015 3:18 PM, T wrote:
[...]

Looking at the Amazon site again I see output of 115 lumens.
You have to go farther down the page then you expect to see this.
That should be adequate for your use.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/05/2015 12:34 PM, Frank wrote:
On 2/5/2015 3:18 PM, T wrote:
[...]

I am happy with it. It is light weight, uses a single AA battery,
and is plenty bright. Gets the job done.

Car headlamp bulb ss UK diy 66 December 30th 14 11:13 AM
Fan-cooled LED headlamp MattyF UK diy 6 January 5th 14 11:02 PM
OT - Headlamp Hack Stormin Mormon[_7_] Home Repair 0 April 19th 12 01:57 PM
Headlamp height Matty F UK diy 35 September 17th 11 11:03 PM
Headlamp Torch George UK diy 7 March 31st 08 06:09 PM