Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default Car headlamp bulb

Standard Replacement 3 Pronged Car Headlight Halogen H4 Bulb 12V 60 / 55
Watt

Anyone know if this is a `dual` dipped / main beam bulb or should I look
for a dipped only.

thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/12/2014 19:23, ss wrote:
Standard Replacement 3 Pronged Car Headlight Halogen H4 Bulb 12V 60 / 55
Watt

Anyone know if this is a `dual` dipped / main beam bulb or should I look
for a dipped only.

Both the 60/55W designation and the three terminals tell you it is a
dual filament lamp.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 19:23:16 +0000, ss wrote:

Standard Replacement 3 Pronged Car Headlight Halogen H4 Bulb 12V 60 / 55
Watt

Anyone know if this is a `dual` dipped / main beam bulb or should I look
for a dipped only.

thanks

It's a combined main/dipped bulb. Anything that wasn't wouldn't be
called an H4

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote:
On 17/12/2014 19:23, ss wrote:
Standard Replacement 3 Pronged Car Headlight Halogen H4 Bulb 12V 60 / 55
Watt

Anyone know if this is a `dual` dipped / main beam bulb or should I look
for a dipped only.

Both the 60/55W designation and the three terminals tell you it is a
dual filament lamp.

Is he having a laugh, or have I misunderstood? I mean, you could look at
the filament(s).

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/12/2014 19:23, ss wrote:
Standard Replacement 3 Pronged Car Headlight Halogen H4 Bulb 12V 60 / 55
Watt

Anyone know if this is a `dual` dipped / main beam bulb or should I look
for a dipped only.

Both the 60/55W designation and the three terminals tell you it is a
dual filament lamp.

Is he having a laugh, or have I misunderstood? I mean, you could look at
the filament(s).

Assuming you have the bulb, rather than the specification from the handbook.

--
Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 17/12/2014 19:48, Bill Wright wrote:

Is he having a laugh

This is one of those things that is completely obvious if you already
know the answer, but rather confusing if you don't.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/12/2014 19:48, Graham. wrote:
On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 19:23:16 +0000, ss wrote:

Standard Replacement 3 Pronged Car Headlight Halogen H4 Bulb 12V 60 / 55
Watt

Anyone know if this is a `dual` dipped / main beam bulb or should I look
for a dipped only.

thanks

It's a combined main/dipped bulb. Anything that wasn't wouldn't be
called an H4

And a single filament lamp would not have two wattages.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ss wrote:
Standard Replacement 3 Pronged Car Headlight Halogen H4 Bulb 12V 60 / 55
Watt

Anyone know if this is a `dual` dipped / main beam bulb or should I look
for a dipped only.

H4 is only dual filament. Single filament types have a different number.

--
*What am I? Flypaper for freaks!?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

In ,
wrote:
Standard Replacement 3 Pronged Car Headlight Halogen H4 Bulb 12V 60 / 55
Watt

Anyone know if this is a `dual` dipped / main beam bulb or should I look
for a dipped only.

H4 is only dual filament. Single filament types have a different number.

Thanks for the explanation, and yes easy when you know. In 40 years of
driving I have never changed a car light bulb so yes a bit confusing
having all those numbers thrown at me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ss wrote:
In ,
wrote:
Standard Replacement 3 Pronged Car Headlight Halogen H4 Bulb 12V 60 /
55 Watt

Anyone know if this is a `dual` dipped / main beam bulb or should I
look for a dipped only.

H4 is only dual filament. Single filament types have a different
number.

Thanks for the explanation, and yes easy when you know. In 40 years of
driving I have never changed a car light bulb so yes a bit confusing
having all those numbers thrown at me.

You're lucky to have a car where it is a DIY job. Some are extremely
tricky to change.

--
*When chemists die, they barium.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
On 17/12/2014 19:23, ss wrote:
Standard Replacement 3 Pronged Car Headlight Halogen H4 Bulb 12V 60 /
55 Watt

Anyone know if this is a `dual` dipped / main beam bulb or should I
look for a dipped only.

Both the 60/55W designation and the three terminals tell you it is a
dual filament lamp.

Long time since I've seen an H4, but IIRC they are two contact - the body
providing the common. The prongs refer to the fitting flange.

Single filament headlight bulbs can also 2 contact - just don't use the
body as ground.

--
*How's my driving? Call 999*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 18 Dec 2014 11:20:26 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Both the 60/55W designation and the three terminals tell you it is a
dual filament lamp.

Long time since I've seen an H4, but IIRC they are two contact - the
body providing the common.

Definitely three contacts, dip/main/common earth. Not all headlamp
housings are metal...
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"ss" wrote in message
In ,
wrote:
Standard Replacement 3 Pronged Car Headlight Halogen H4 Bulb 12V 60 / 55
Watt

Anyone know if this is a `dual` dipped / main beam bulb or should I look
for a dipped only.

H4 is only dual filament. Single filament types have a different number.

Thanks for the explanation, and yes easy when you know. In 40 years of
driving I have never changed a car light bulb so yes a bit confusing
having all those numbers thrown at me.

40 years of driving and never changed a car light bulb is some going:-)

However I'll happily share my walk of shame with you.

I can walk into an electrical wholesalers and rattle off item numbers for
lots of stuff without a problem but when I last needed a new headlight bulb
I went into the motor factors and said "I want a headlight bulb with two
prongs but I have no idea what it is called"

I was correctly sold a H7.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 18/12/2014 19:10, ARW wrote:
"ss" wrote in message
In ,
wrote:
[...]

Apart from the last 4 years I have always had company cars hence never
had to change one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/12/2014 21:00, ss wrote:
On 18/12/2014 19:10, ARW wrote:

40 years of driving and never changed a car light bulb is some going:-)

However I'll happily share my walk of shame with you.

I can walk into an electrical wholesalers and rattle off item numbers
for lots of stuff without a problem but when I last needed a new
headlight bulb I went into the motor factors and said "I want a
headlight bulb with two prongs but I have no idea what it is called"

I was correctly sold a H7.

Apart from the last 4 years I have always had company cars hence never
had to change one.

I don't think my current car has a single user changeable lamp.

--
Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
On 18/12/2014 21:00, ss wrote:
On 18/12/2014 19:10, ARW wrote:

40 years of driving and never changed a car light bulb is some
going:-)

However I'll happily share my walk of shame with you.

I can walk into an electrical wholesalers and rattle off item numbers
for lots of stuff without a problem but when I last needed a new
headlight bulb I went into the motor factors and said "I want a
headlight bulb with two prongs but I have no idea what it is called"

I was correctly sold a H7.

Apart from the last 4 years I have always had company cars hence never
had to change one.

I don't think my current car has a single user changeable lamp.

Since LEDs are getting common, it may never need one changed in its life.
Headlamps excepted.

My oldish BMW is actually easy to change any of the regulation bulbs. No
tools needed for any.

--
He who laughs last, thinks slowest*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 18 Dec 2014 21:00:54 +0000, ss wrote:

On 18/12/2014 19:10, ARW wrote:
"ss" wrote in message
In ,
wrote:
[...]

I have driven company cars since 1972 and unless the faliure was
spotted the night before a service, they have all been replaced
promptly by me.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
On 18/12/2014 21:00, ss wrote:
On 18/12/2014 19:10, ARW wrote:

40 years of driving and never changed a car light bulb is some
going:-)

However I'll happily share my walk of shame with you.

I can walk into an electrical wholesalers and rattle off item numbers
for lots of stuff without a problem but when I last needed a new
headlight bulb I went into the motor factors and said "I want a
headlight bulb with two prongs but I have no idea what it is called"

I was correctly sold a H7.

Apart from the last 4 years I have always had company cars hence never
had to change one.

I don't think my current car has a single user changeable lamp.

Since LEDs are getting common, it may never need one changed in its life.
Headlamps excepted.

My oldish BMW is actually easy to change any of the regulation bulbs. No
tools needed for any.

LEDs are ideal for car lighting. I can't understand why they only seem
to be fitted on high end cars.

Why are the interior lights on most cars so **** poor?

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Graham. writes:
LEDs are ideal for car lighting. I can't understand why they only seem
to be fitted on high end cars.

Why are the interior lights on most cars so **** poor?

I got sufficiently ****ed off with the boot light, that it now has
an LED. Was an MR16 for a while, but is now a nice LED G4 replacement
from Kosnic (which unfortunately they just stopped making). It gives
a much wider spread than an MR16.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar \"cpb\"@" "insert my surname here wrote:

I don't think my current car has a single user changeable lamp.

I had to give up on my partner's last Micra, my wrist only having
one joint, though the current model is much improved.

The current and previous Mondeo allow the whole headlamp assembly
to be removed quite simply, which seems an acceptable solution.

My boss had a Jag where you had to take the front wheel off!

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 18 Dec 2014 21:00:54 +0000, ss wrote:

Apart from the last 4 years I have always had company cars hence never
had to change one.

The magical maintenance fairy does it?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris J Dixon wrote:
"Nightjar \"cpb\"@" "insert my surname here wrote:

I don't think my current car has a single user changeable lamp.

I had to give up on my partner's last Micra, my wrist only having
one joint, though the current model is much improved.

The current and previous Mondeo allow the whole headlamp assembly
to be removed quite simply, which seems an acceptable solution.

My boss had a Jag where you had to take the front wheel off!

In my last car, a Citroen, the battery needed to be removed to get at the
near side headlamp.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Graham. wrote:
Why are the interior lights on most cars so **** poor?

Quite. My old Rover had 2 x 6 watt bulbs to light the interior. And
similar sized ones as reading lights. The problem being much larger
tungsten get hot and would need better quality/larger fittings.

I've now replaced them with 2 x 2 watt star LEDs in each fitting - now
looks like you're filming inside. ;-)

--
*Never kick a cow pat on a hot day *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Since LEDs are getting common, it may never need one changed in its life.
Headlamps excepted.

My oldish BMW is actually easy to change any of the regulation bulbs. No
tools needed for any.

Most of my driving is in France where a set of spare bulbs is required to
be carried. My 10 yr old Renault has only needed rear bulbs replacing, so
far - easy to do as long as you carry a torx driver.

--
John Mulrooney
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/12/2014 13:16, A. N. Other wrote:

Most of my driving is in France where a set of spare bulbs is required to
be carried....

They no longer require that. It wouldn't be practical for many modern
cars, fitted with LED and HID lights.

--
Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Nightjar \cpb\@ insert my surname here wrote:

I don't think my current car has a single user changeable lamp.

Since LEDs are getting common, it may never need one changed in its life.
Headlamps excepted....

Those are also LED on the latest model of my car.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/12/2014 15:00, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , \"cpb\"@"
wrote:

On 19/12/2014 13:16, A. N. Other wrote:

Most of my driving is in France where a set of spare bulbs is
required to
be carried....

They no longer require that. It wouldn't be practical for many modern
cars, fitted with LED and HID lights.

Haven't they given up on the breathalyser jobby too?

Strictly, there is still a legal requirement to carry them, but there is
no mechanism to penalise drivers for not doing so.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Nightjar \cpb\@ insert my surname here wrote:
In article ,
Nightjar \cpb\@ insert my surname here wrote:

I don't think my current car has a single user changeable lamp.

Since LEDs are getting common, it may never need one changed in its
life. Headlamps excepted....

Those are also LED on the latest model of my car.

Yes - but I wouldn't bet a high power LED has a longer life than other
types. Sidelights, etc are a different matter.

--
*I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/12/2014 08:30, Chris J Dixon wrote:
"Nightjar \"cpb\"@" "insert my surname here wrote:

I don't think my current car has a single user changeable lamp.

I had to give up on my partner's last Micra, my wrist only having
one joint, though the current model is much improved.

The current and previous Mondeo allow the whole headlamp assembly
to be removed quite simply, which seems an acceptable solution.

My boss had a Jag where you had to take the front wheel off!

Chris

I used to drive a smart that required you to remove the entire front.
The newer smart doesn't.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message . com,
"Dennis@home" writes
On 19/12/2014 08:30, Chris J Dixon wrote:
"Nightjar \"cpb\"@" "insert my surname here wrote:

I don't think my current car has a single user changeable lamp.

I had to give up on my partner's last Micra, my wrist only having
one joint, though the current model is much improved.

The current and previous Mondeo allow the whole headlamp assembly
to be removed quite simply, which seems an acceptable solution.

My boss had a Jag where you had to take the front wheel off!

Chris

I used to drive a smart that required you to remove the entire front.
The newer smart doesn't.

I understand that the Mk1 Focus nearside is virtually impossible, and
the easiest way is to remove the whole headlight (and that's also not
too easy). Fortunately, I have not yet had to find out if this is true.
I wonder what the guys at Halfords (who do the such things for you while
you wait) think about these unnecessary design 'features'.
--
Ian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/12/2014 21:15, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message . com,
"Dennis@home" writes
[...]

In my mind, one of the few good value things they provide. Aside from
refitting any sealing boot etc properly, it's difficult to get wrong.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
RJH wrote:
I understand that the Mk1 Focus nearside is virtually impossible, and
the easiest way is to remove the whole headlight (and that's also not
too easy). Fortunately, I have not yet had to find out if this is
true. I wonder what the guys at Halfords (who do the such things for
you while you wait) think about these unnecessary design 'features'.

In my mind, one of the few good value things they provide. Aside from
refitting any sealing boot etc properly, it's difficult to get wrong.

Think when it gets to the point where I have to ask Halfords to change a
bulb for me it will also be time to give up driving.

--
*I want it all and I want it delivered

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
RJH wrote:
I understand that the Mk1 Focus nearside is virtually impossible, and
the easiest way is to remove the whole headlight (and that's also not
too easy). Fortunately, I have not yet had to find out if this is
true. I wonder what the guys at Halfords (who do the such things for
you while you wait) think about these unnecessary design 'features'.

In my mind, one of the few good value things they provide. Aside from
refitting any sealing boot etc properly, it's difficult to get wrong.

Think when it gets to the point where I have to ask Halfords to change a
bulb for me it will also be time to give up driving.

There again, if you have the time, it could be a good form of Saturday
morning spectator sport.

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH wrote:
I understand that the Mk1 Focus nearside is virtually impossible,
and the easiest way is to remove the whole headlight (and that's
also not too easy). Fortunately, I have not yet had to find out if
this is true. I wonder what the guys at Halfords (who do the such
things for you while you wait) think about these unnecessary design
'features'.

In my mind, one of the few good value things they provide. Aside from
refitting any sealing boot etc properly, it's difficult to get wrong.

Think when it gets to the point where I have to ask Halfords to change a
bulb for me it will also be time to give up driving.

There again, if you have the time, it could be a good form of Saturday
morning spectator sport.

We have a Halfords just 5 minutes walk away (never been in there). I
might just wander down some day.

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH wrote:
I understand that the Mk1 Focus nearside is virtually impossible, and
the easiest way is to remove the whole headlight (and that's also not
too easy). Fortunately, I have not yet had to find out if this is
true. I wonder what the guys at Halfords (who do the such things for
you while you wait) think about these unnecessary design 'features'.

In my mind, one of the few good value things they provide. Aside from
refitting any sealing boot etc properly, it's difficult to get wrong.

Think when it gets to the point where I have to ask Halfords to change a
bulb for me it will also be time to give up driving.

At one time, I'd have said exactly the same. However, these days, when
vehicle designers make even the simplest of DIY maintenance almost
impossible, it might be a darn sight easier to pay a few quid, and let
someone who's familiar with the procedure do it.
--
Ian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 20 Dec 2014 11:13:55 +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:

At one time, I'd have said exactly the same. However, these days, when
vehicle designers make even the simplest of DIY maintenance almost
impossible, it might be a darn sight easier to pay a few quid, and let
someone who's familiar with the procedure do it.

I'm not convinced it's all the fault of the production engineers.
Styling trends and legislation says "biiig light units".
Marketing and legislation says "lots of electronics".
Packaging says "Something's gotta give, guys".

So... when VERY few of the actual buying public would even give the first
flying toss about changing their own bulbs...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
Think when it gets to the point where I have to ask Halfords to change a
bulb for me it will also be time to give up driving.

There again, if you have the time, it could be a good form of Saturday
morning spectator sport.

We have a Halfords just 5 minutes walk away (never been in there). I
might just wander down some day.

I have a local one too - and do use it for some things. Although they seem
to be moving away from what I'd describe as the bits you might want to buy
for DIY car maintenance.

--
*Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 20 Dec 2014 11:26:01 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
Think when it gets to the point where I have to ask Halfords to
change a bulb for me it will also be time to give up driving.

There again, if you have the time, it could be a good form of
Saturday morning spectator sport.

We have a Halfords just 5 minutes walk away (never been in there). I
might just wander down some day.

I have a local one too - and do use it for some things. Although they
seem to be moving away from what I'd describe as the bits you might want
to buy for DIY car maintenance.

Don't get me wrong - I'd only go down to watch the bulb changing!

One of the most sexist shops around (and I've heard that a lot). The
closest example was a niece who did her Year in Industry with them.
Completely male dominated, chauvinist, etc...she left after two months
and went to work for B&Q for the rest of her year. She has a good job
with them now, in head office.

(SWMBO was one of Mr Block and Mr Quayle's earlier employees, here in
Herne Bay; she didn't last long either, became a trainee programmer!)

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Ian Jackson wrote:
Think when it gets to the point where I have to ask Halfords to change a
bulb for me it will also be time to give up driving.

At one time, I'd have said exactly the same. However, these days, when
vehicle designers make even the simplest of DIY maintenance almost
impossible, it might be a darn sight easier to pay a few quid, and let
someone who's familiar with the procedure do it.

If I could be absolutely certain places like Halfords would do the job
correctly I might use them. However, my experience of such places says if
there are corners to be cut they'll do it.

If you do have a car where changing a bulb ain't straightforward, chances
are a bit of Googling will give you chapter and verse on how to.

--
*Why is 'abbreviation' such a long word?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
At one time, I'd have said exactly the same. However, these days, when
vehicle designers make even the simplest of DIY maintenance almost
impossible, it might be a darn sight easier to pay a few quid, and let
someone who's familiar with the procedure do it.

I tried and failed twice on our C4 to change the headlamp blub. Seems
to involve getting your hand through a 3"-wide sharp-edged hole.

So Halfords employ only those with small hands?

--
*Fax is stronger than fiction *

Fan-cooled LED headlamp MattyF UK diy 6 January 5th 14 11:02 PM
OT - strap on headlamp hack Stormin Mormon[_7_] Metalworking 7 April 20th 12 12:51 PM
OT - Headlamp Hack Stormin Mormon[_7_] Home Repair 0 April 19th 12 01:57 PM
Headlamp height Matty F UK diy 35 September 17th 11 11:03 PM
Headlamp Torch George UK diy 7 March 31st 08 06:09 PM