Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - strap on headlamp hack

http://www.harborfreight.com/headlam... _source=1004
http://tinyurl.com/d5vxfz8

The black and yellow strap on head lamps from harbor Freight. On sale for
$2.19, at the moment. I screw the lens off, pull the bulb out. Use a small
screw driver to break the reflector out.

Then, I put in a Nite Ize mini mag LED conversion, with the reflector
provided for Mini Mags. The result is a LED head lamp that runs on AA cells,
lasts a long time on batteries, and bright enough to be useful. Unlike the
provided bulbs, never blows a filament.

TinyURL was created!
The following URL:

http://www.amazon.com/LRB-07-3-LED-Upgra
de-Replacement-Flashlight/dp/B0009IQQ8S/
ref=sr_1_5?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1334840164&s
r=1-5

has a length of 125 characters and resulted in the following TinyURL which
has a length of 26 characters:
http://tinyurl.com/cxcpoxh

Hope that's enlightening, to someone.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/19/2012 8:10 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Or, for a lot less effort and a little more money:

http://www.harborfreight.com/five-led-magnetic-head-lamp-93549.html

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David R. Birch" wrote in message
[...]

I have a couple of those. They're ok but they don't swivel and for close
work they are aimed too high.
Art

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Artemus wrote:
[...]

I had the same problem with the LED lighting in the Lowes cap I got for
Christmas a few years ago. Worked good for stuff at arms length or
farther but up close was WAY to high. I mentioned this to a couple of
friends who "know people" at Lowes. What did they do? New versions now
have two LEDs under the rim pointed so they work close in. Makes it MUCH
easier to tie hooks on at night...
Last week I mentioned that it would be nice if they also had a couple in
the back that flashed red. Currently I just clip a light on the back so
I'm more visible while walking at night...

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Triple A batteries don't last any where near as long. And, it takes three
AAA cells. The light doesn't adjust up and down. And the circuit doesn't
have the Joule Thief that the Nite Ize does.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"David R. Birch" wrote in message

Or, for a lot less effort and a little more money:

http://www.harborfreight.com/five-led-magnetic-head-lamp-93549.html

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

They eat smaller batteries, used in sets of 3.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Artemus" wrote in message

Or, for a lot less effort and a little more money:

http://www.harborfreight.com/five-led-magnetic-head-lamp-93549.html

David

I have a couple of those. They're ok but they don't swivel and for close
work they are aimed too high.
Art

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 13:51:27 -0800, "Artemus"
wrote:

"David R. Birch" wrote in message
On 4/19/2012 8:10 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

http://www.harborfreight.com/headlam... _source=1004
http://tinyurl.com/d5vxfz8

The black and yellow strap on head lamps from harbor Freight. On sale for
$2.19, at the moment. I screw the lens off, pull the bulb out. Use a small
screw driver to break the reflector out.

Then, I put in a Nite Ize mini mag LED conversion, with the reflector
provided for Mini Mags. The result is a LED head lamp that runs on AA cells,
lasts a long time on batteries, and bright enough to be useful. Unlike the
provided bulbs, never blows a filament.

I love the Gordons, but I always wished they'd put in an LED kit.

I love my NiteIze minimag 2AA conversion, too.

TinyURL was created!
The following URL:

http://www.amazon.com/LRB-07-3-LED-Upgra
de-Replacement-Flashlight/dp/B0009IQQ8S/
ref=sr_1_5?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1334840164&s
r=1-5

has a length of 125 characters and resulted in the following TinyURL which
has a length of 26 characters:
http://tinyurl.com/cxcpoxh

Cool. I may do that to one of my Gordons, too. Hmm, I wonder if I
could mod one of the 9-LED heads from the freebie flashlights...
(Rats! They're 3AAA, or 4.5v vs 3v.)

Hope that's enlightening, to someone.

Yes, thank you. I see lots of V E R Y pricy LED headlamps around,
but I don't need 3W worth of LED for most of my headlamp work.
(Replacing kitchen faucets and tracing wiring doesn't have much of a
mega-lumen requirement.)

Or, for a lot less effort and a little more money:

http://www.harborfreight.com/five-led-magnetic-head-lamp-93549.html

I have a couple of those. They're ok but they don't swivel and for close
work they are aimed too high.

I have one of the Winchesters which looks just like that and they
truly suck. Bad switches (intermittent), not enough swivel, etc.

--
That's the thing about needs. Sometimes, when you get them met,
you don't need them anymore. -- Michael Patrick King
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Then, I put in a Nite Ize mini mag LED conversion, with the reflector
provided for Mini Mags. The result is a LED head lamp that runs on AA
cells,
lasts a long time on batteries, and bright enough to be useful. Unlike
the
provided bulbs, never blows a filament.

I love the Gordons, but I always wished they'd put in an LED kit.

CY: Now's your chance!

I love my NiteIze minimag 2AA conversion, too.

CY: The Nite Ize doesn't focuss a spot for distance, but makes up for that
in dependable light, and not blowing bulb at bad moments.

has a length of 125 characters and resulted in the following TinyURL
which
has a length of 26 characters:
http://tinyurl.com/cxcpoxh

Cool. I may do that to one of my Gordons, too. Hmm, I wonder if I
could mod one of the 9-LED heads from the freebie flashlights...
(Rats! They're 3AAA, or 4.5v vs 3v.)

CY: Might work on three AA cells, if you had a current limiting resistor.

Hope that's enlightening, to someone.

Yes, thank you. I see lots of V E R Y pricy LED headlamps around,
but I don't need 3W worth of LED for most of my headlamp work.
(Replacing kitchen faucets and tracing wiring doesn't have much of a
mega-lumen requirement.)

CY: Sometimes, too much light is just as bad.

Or, for a lot less effort and a little more money:

http://www.harborfreight.com/five-led-magnetic-head-lamp-93549.html

I have a couple of those. They're ok but they don't swivel and for close
work they are aimed too high.

I have one of the Winchesters which looks just like that and they
truly suck. Bad switches (intermittent), not enough swivel, etc.

CY: Oops, not good.

Headlamp height Matty F UK diy 35 September 17th 11 11:03 PM
Headlamp Torch George UK diy 7 March 31st 08 06:09 PM
Headlamp Beam Adaptors Michael Shergold UK diy 7 May 16th 07 09:34 AM