Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Contact Cement Question

Hello,

Used some Contact Cement on some painted wood pieces, but guess some of
it leaked out or migrated from the joint.

Boy, that stuff is tenacious and tough.
Tried a razor blade, but no luck with.

Is there any common solvent that will allow me to clean up the leaked
part, that will not effect the wooden painted surface underneath ?

Thanks,
Bob

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/15/2015 07:22 AM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Used some Contact Cement on some painted wood pieces, but guess some of
it leaked out or migrated from the joint.

Boy, that stuff is tenacious and tough.
Tried a razor blade, but no luck with.

Is there any common solvent that will allow me to clean up the leaked
part, that will not effect the wooden painted surface underneath ?

Thanks,
Bob

http://www.ehow.com/how_5664615_remo...nce-cured.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/15/2015 8:33 AM, philo wrote:
On 01/15/2015 07:22 AM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Used some Contact Cement on some painted wood pieces, but guess some of
it leaked out or migrated from the joint.

Boy, that stuff is tenacious and tough.
Tried a razor blade, but no luck with.

Is there any common solvent that will allow me to clean up the leaked
part, that will not effect the wooden painted surface underneath ?

Thanks,
Bob

http://www.ehow.com/how_5664615_remo...nce-cured.html

Good advice but first check if paint is resistant to mineral spirits or
acetone. One or both may damage it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote in message

Used some Contact Cement on some painted wood pieces, but guess some of it
leaked out or migrated from the joint.
. . . Is there any common solvent that will allow me to clean up the
leaked part, that will not effect the wooden painted surface underneath ?

Start with the solvent listed on the label. Most "contact cements"
use acetone, but no rules govern what may be marketed as a
contact cement.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/15/2015 08:01 AM, Frank wrote:
On 1/15/2015 8:33 AM, philo wrote:
On 01/15/2015 07:22 AM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Used some Contact Cement on some painted wood pieces, but guess some of
it leaked out or migrated from the joint.

Boy, that stuff is tenacious and tough.
Tried a razor blade, but no luck with.

Is there any common solvent that will allow me to clean up the leaked
part, that will not effect the wooden painted surface underneath ?

Thanks,
Bob

http://www.ehow.com/how_5664615_remo...nce-cured.html

Good advice but first check if paint is resistant to mineral spirits or
acetone. One or both may damage it.

Yep

I'd probably just rough up the cement a bit and paint to match

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:

Is there any common solvent that will allow me to clean up the leaked
part, that will not effect the wooden painted surface underneath ?

Probably not. Acetone or MEK will work on the cement but either one tends to
be a good paint stripper too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:
Hello,

Used some Contact Cement on some painted wood pieces, but guess some
of it leaked out or migrated from the joint.

Boy, that stuff is tenacious and tough.
Tried a razor blade, but no luck with.

Is there any common solvent that will allow me to clean up the leaked
part, that will not effect the wooden painted surface underneath ?

Thanks,
Bob

We used a mixture of lacquer thinner and naphtha in the cabinet shop - but
the LT will dissolve latex paints . Plain naphtha will soften the glue and
it will ballup as you rub . Should be safe for the paint unless it's
recently been painted with latex .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote in message

Hello,

Used some Contact Cement on some painted wood pieces, but guess some of
it leaked out or migrated from the joint.

Boy, that stuff is tenacious and tough.
Tried a razor blade, but no luck with.

Is there any common solvent that will allow me to clean up the leaked
part, that will not effect the wooden painted surface underneath ?

Paint thinner. Probably naptha (lighter fluid) too.

--

dadiOH

contact cement dpb Home Repair 1 December 11th 11 11:21 PM
Removing contact adhesive cement/mortar floor, repairing cement Clive UK diy 3 October 16th 08 04:25 PM
Contact Cement Mr Fixit eh Woodworking 18 March 19th 05 04:34 AM
Question regarding solvent based contact cement Dick Snyder Woodworking 11 October 23rd 04 01:49 AM
contact cement question Mike in Mystic Woodworking 16 November 6th 03 06:31 PM